Read 4129 times

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Are we not going to talk about the cold?
« on: January 07, 2021, 09:45:50 am »
I know, I know, I'm Canadian, too and I've dealt with a lot colder and a lot more snow for months on end for much of my life.  I have no doubt there are some Canadians out there today in cargo shorts praying people will come up and ask "Aren't you cold?" so they can stammer out the "C-c-c-old?  I'm f-f-f-from C-c-c-canada, this is n-n-n-nothing." However, I'm not in Canada now and haven't experienced a Canadian winter in 12 blessed years.  Minus 16 and feeling like minus 23 when I headed out to work this morning.  It's only warmed up to -15 now, high is -11.  That's pretty damn cold for the Seoul area in my experience.  Been at work for two hours with both heaters on in the class and I'm still chilly.  Sun is starting to hit my wing now so that'll make a difference. 

On a plus side it was really pretty out last night with all the snow.  I'd forgotten how bright it is at night when the ground is covered in snow.  But, I still hope it's all gone in a few days when the temperature is expected to go back up.  Do I wear boots or shoes?  Boots are better in the snow but shoes are better on the icy paths.  Pain in the ass that I generally don't have to deal with in this neck of the woods. 

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Re: Are we not going to talk about the cold?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 10:24:59 am »
Drove home last night before the worst of the snow hit. Already saw a couple of accidents.
Traffic got a lot worse after that. Read some comments online how some people spent 2 hours, driving a 5km distance.
Went out after dinner with the family. It was great. The first proper snow in many years. I know, 10 cm or so isn't much but even this amount is rare recently especially when it doesn't melt even on busy roads.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 10:30:11 am »
I forgot how much I miss the snow, definitely moving to somewhere with 4 four seasons (with snow) back in the states.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 10:49:56 am »
Yep, got down to +12 last night. One of the coldest nights on record. How I long for the whole global warming facade.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 10:56:17 am »
Teachers at my school didn't have to come in to work until an hour later than usual today, due to the weather. I found out when I sat down at my desk (having arrived at the usual time). Ah well, still got some work to do on camp anyway.

My main concern is if the roads get slippery - I have multiple hills to walk up on my way to work, and though I've wiped out only once, there haven't been many days with dangerous conditions like that. If the snow melts and refreezes...might have to get some of those hiking spikes(?) to strap to my boots.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 11:05:37 am »
I made the choice to dig out my winter boots with thick treads.  Great for getting traction with loose snow but walking along the paths that get worn down and icy on the way home they'll be treacherous.  With the temperature this snow could be around for a few days.  Fun for kids, at least.  I'm not looking forward to my next maintenance bill considering how much I've used ondol this year.  Usually don't need it with the units around me cranking theirs up, but mine is even on right now while I'm at work.  I've gone entire winters without doing that. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 11:07:31 am »
It's -10 at 11am here. Forecasted -17 tonight.

I am from Canada. But from Vancouver Island. I never experienced such in my first 20 years of existence.

But uni and work in Alberta, Ontario and Manitoba has acclimatized me to -30 to -40 c PLUS wind chill. No joke.

Gloves, scarf, ski cap or the like, sweater or three layers is minimum.... though on an epic cold day in Winnipeg I wa all-decked-out except... i wore one pair of regular socks in a regular pair of dress shoes. I FROZE MY TOES TO THE POINT OF PAINFUL PURPLE.

Gawd. Even today, I wear thick socks or double up. I will never bear that pain again. Two hours from now I go to teach (3pm-4pm, 6pm-9:30pm hagwon hours). I will be all decked out in terms of warmth.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 02:45:28 pm »
I've lived in Victoria, Calgary and Halifax and I found zero degrees in Victoria and Halifax way colder than -20 in Calgary where it's so dry you'd need a hydraulic press to make a snowball.

I love how the locals all talk about how they love the cold weather and would love to live in Canada. The other day it was 14C and my wife (who is one of the talkers) was in a full on parka with a fur lined hood.

How I would love to introduce them to a full-term Quebec City winter.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 02:58:09 pm »
Forecast to be -18 when I head off to work tomorrow morning.  The highest it got here today was -12 briefly.  It all depends on what you acclimate yourself to.  I can't imagine enduring a Montreal winter again.  I went on vacation to Montreal a few summers back and I was amazed at how green things looked in the neighbourhood I had lived in for university.  I realised that as much as I loved my time living in downtown Montreal, by far the majority of time I spent there was early nightfall, cold and snow.  September had a few good hot weeks and early October was pleasant, then it was done and never let up again until May by which time I headed back up the 401 to Toronto. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 03:08:17 pm »
hope the little street cats i feed are okay! someone also threw away the new food bowls i specifically bought for them. kunt. no way it could have been a mistake

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 04:52:31 pm »
Feeding stray cats only exacerbates the problem of stray cats.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 05:36:20 pm »
hope the little street cats i feed are okay! someone also threw away the new food bowls i specifically bought for them. kunt. no way it could have been a mistake

Some people are pricks to animals in this country. Usually
soju swilling, fag smoking dog meat eating ajoshis.

I saved an injured kitten in 1996. I built it a house from Styrofoam
and bought it some spam and milk. I came back in the morning and
it was still there. I brought it to the vet and he amputated its tail.
(Kids used to tie cats to trees by their tails and then stone them to
death.) I was going to bring it home only until it got better. It stayed
for twenty years. It used to follow me six blocks to school in the morning
and then return home and let itself in through an open window.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 05:44:01 pm »

Are there no rivers, are there no slaughter houses?

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 06:03:25 pm »
I love the cold. That's all I got to say about that.

Total kunt move. I feed one particular stray cat. She's very smart and not completely feral, I'm pretty sure she could transition from street cat to pet very smoothly. I'm trying to get her to trust me enough to take her home as a foster, and while I've made progress with her we're not quite there yet. I haven't seen a lot of her lately, though, nowhere near as much as before. My guess is she's hunkering down somewhere with other cats to help keep warm and isn't wandering out as far as she usually does.

The neighborhood street cats have been really good about keeping the rodent population down. I've seen some pretty big rats here and there, lol, but never on my own street.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 06:51:20 pm »
nice try

Total kunt move. I feed one particular stray cat. She's very smart and not completely feral, I'm pretty sure she could transition from street cat to pet very smoothly. I'm trying to get her to trust me enough to take her home as a foster, and while I've made progress with her we're not quite there yet. I haven't seen a lot of her lately, though, nowhere near as much as before. My guess is she's hunkering down somewhere with other cats to help keep warm and isn't wandering out as far as she usually does.

The neighborhood street cats have been really good about keeping the rodent population down. I've seen some pretty big rats here and there, lol, but never on my own street.
yep, there's 2 i feed which are very friendly. one you could definitely make into a house cat. the other, maybe. but they hang out together so it's gotta be both or neither, i reckon. one cat was literally waiting outside the apartment for someone to come and feed her today. poor thing. well, if she can survive one night in the cold, i expect she'll be okay for the other nights, too. as i've already said, other people in our building feed them too, so they seem to do all right!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:53:24 pm by oglop »

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 08:16:31 am »

I do too!
I just need a way to keep my hands warm while gaming on my pc though. Yesterday my hands were so cold while playing games, I kept making lots of minor mistakes haha

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 08:25:29 am »
This is by far the coldest I've experienced in my 8 years here.

Except that night in Pyeongchang in an open air stadium watching the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Jesus H Christ, that was numbingly cold.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 08:34:44 am »
This is by far the coldest I've experienced in my 8 years here.

Except that night in Pyeongchang in an open air stadium watching the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Jesus H Christ, that was numbingly cold.

Took a glove off to try and wipe some of the dirt off my car windows and my hand felt numb within 5 seconds.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 08:50:48 am »
Took a glove off to try and wipe some of the dirt off my car windows and my hand felt numb within 5 seconds.

Last night, I was wearing full winter clothing with my good heater like an inch from me, at max heat, and was still shivering.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 09:32:08 am »
The air is cold but FRESH.

I breathe deeply the clean air. Ah....