Read 4088 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Are we not going to talk about the cold?
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2021, 01:40:58 pm »
Yeah that happens all the time here.  You have to put out a plastic or styrofoam bowl if you are going to leave out some food or drink for the neighborhood kitties.  That way when it is gone or removed, you're not out much money. 

For food, just make a pile on the ground.

They're animals............ ........ they don't need cutlery, haha.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2021, 01:42:53 pm »
It was tongue in cheek.  But my gist was I also use as much heat and cold as I want.  I always have.

You turn literally every subject on here into 2.1 wage issues.
I highly doubt you were using tongue in cheek with your comment.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2021, 01:51:08 pm »
For food, just make a pile on the ground.

They're animals............ ........ they don't need cutlery, haha.

I go the opposite route.  Tables, chairs, and a table cloth a la Lady and the Tramp.  People come by and take selfies or sit and do cutie poses, but no one will dare take it down.  The animals ( a possum and an opossum I feed) positively love it!

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2021, 02:17:46 pm »
It sounds like your place is old or cheaply built.

Probably both, tbh. It's all concrete and no insulation. I've thought about moving several times, but in the end I'm always put off by the gamble of it. My landlord is very quick to address any issues I might have with my apartment, and she has never once tried to make me pay for something that she's responsible for. Plus, my building's location is super convenient for me as it's literally just a minute's walk from several bus stops, including ones that take me directly to my schools.

So, I just learned to live without heating, which was never really a big deal to begin with since I've always been frugal with heating anyway. I've got plenty of blankets, and a heating blanket if things get dire.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2021, 08:01:06 pm »
my electric bill is actually in my landlord's name, and I sometimes wonder if things would change if I got it in my own name, lol.

You are onto something... Do you have a separate meter for your unit? Do you know where it is? If you do, take a photo of the meter every month so you can see your usage.
For reference, we pay around 15k a month for electricity. That includes the 2500 basic charge for TV. In the summer it goes up to around 30k. And that is with a lot of A/C use. All night long for over a month and basically most of the time when we are at home during the hottest few weeks. We are a family of 3, living in a 33 pyeong apartment.

As for gas: last winter the most we paid was 80k. This January will be more than that. I think around 100k. Although it will depend on how cold the rest of the month will be. We keep our home at 23-24 degrees Celsius, 24/7.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:04:34 pm by Lazio »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2021, 10:33:42 pm »
My first year in South Korea i was handed a brick of cash every month, 2 million won exactly. No deductions, no expenses. I cranked the a/c in the summer and heat in winter and paid squat. The good ol' days.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2021, 07:39:10 am »
This morning ended up even colder than yesterday's. At 8am, KMA wrote -19,5 degrees Celsius for my "dong".
The wind chill factor may not be as bad as it was yesterday though.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2021, 10:45:26 am »
My first year in South Korea i was handed a brick of cash every month, 2 million won exactly. No deductions, no expenses. I cranked the a/c in the summer and heat in winter and paid squat. The good ol' days.

Yeah, I remember those bricks. Nice.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2021, 11:31:27 am »
This morning ended up even colder than yesterday's. At 8am, KMA wrote -19,5 degrees Celsius for my "dong".
The wind chill factor may not be as bad as it was yesterday though.

Last thing you want is a chilly dong.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 09:18:04 am »
I wanna do laundry but my veranda is as cold as outside and I'm scared it's gonna freeze. ToT

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 11:44:53 am »
I wanna do laundry but my veranda is as cold as outside and I'm scared it's gonna freeze. ToT

Do it!

My laundry machine is inside an enclosed scullery that's on my veranda. When the weather gets really cold the pipes inside the walls and the washing machine freeze.
While not the end of the world it does mean I have to wait till the weather warms up, go to the laundry mat/dry cleaners or manually try to unclog the pipes inside the washing machine... that's always fun.
Do a load at least once a day and the pipes are less likely to freeze.

As far as drying laundry inside, a fan and dehumidifier combo works great. Korean winters are really dry so you don't have to worry too much about mould, particularly if you're using a dehumidifier.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2021, 12:11:40 pm »
You turn literally every subject on here into 2.1 wage issues.
I highly doubt you were using tongue in cheek with your comment.

Triggered are we?  I came here to talk about the cold and you came here to brag?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2021, 12:16:10 pm »

That's 3 million won in todays money.  I guess more on account of no deductions.  I still use as much heat or a/c as I want. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2021, 12:18:01 pm »
It is slightly warmer now, though still at 0 or below it for a 24 hour period.  Warmer by Wednesday and the snow we still have on the ground should be melted by then.  It's been nice to have the snow stick around due to the cold.  It's so rare to have that here. 

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2021, 12:56:46 pm »
Do it!

As far as drying laundry inside, a fan and dehumidifier combo works great. Korean winters are really dry so you don't have to worry too much about mould, particularly if you're using a dehumidifier.
IDK if I can handle dealing with the frozen wash machine pipes right now.  I have plenty of clean clothes I can wear, just hate the growing pile of laundry. sigh..
and yes, I hang it inside, with the dehumidifier and space heater pointed at it. dries in less than an hour.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2021, 01:08:27 pm »
Triggered are we?  I came here to talk about the cold and you came here to brag?

If you came to talk about the cold, there was no reason for you to bring up the issues you have with the 2.1 wage.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2021, 02:18:44 pm »
If you came to talk about the cold, there was no reason for you to bring up the issues you have with the 2.1 wage.

I was answering about why some folks live so frugally and cheaply trying to avoid using any heat even when it's colder than the Arctic out.  I'll talk about whatever I want.  Comment stands. 

It will go above 0 tomorrow for the first time in days.  It should be 10 degrees tomorrow.  But it also means the weather might be polluted or have dusty air.  (Just a guess.)

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2021, 09:07:41 pm »
I remember one -35 c windy Winnipeg evening I made the mistake of touching the bus stop pole and PEELED my skin off the pole. It was one  of the most excruciating few minutes of my life. (I had painkilling alcohol within that hour - no way was i gonna go the extra mile to the hospital that night!)

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2021, 12:43:24 am »
Still using my electric fan, blowing on me, with the floor heating on. Just the sound of it soothes me to sleep.

Anyways, coldest I've experienced is -38 sometime in the early 90s in Calgary. But it was a 'dry' cold... lol. I Also spent 2 winters in Ottawa, supposedly a humid cold, felt the same to me. Okay, in my childhood, winters routinely would go into the deep -30s for like a week maybe 2, or 3, times a winter. Still had to go to school, unless the buses couldn't start. Although, these days it seems the winters in my hometown hit the high -30s like once a year now, the new kids consider the -20s  cold, since they don't really so -30 as  much anymore.

Korean winters a pretty easy, even the last week, was walking around last week when it was maybe -10 during the late afternoon seeing all these Koreans bundled up, and acting all cold, but I had to go open jacket since I felt kind of hot.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2021, 02:45:02 pm »
I had the heat on in the car this morning as I drove to work. First time ever, nearly 15 years.