Read 4089 times

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: Are we not going to talk about the cold?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 10:17:19 am »
Last night, I was wearing full winter clothing with my good heater like an inch from me, at max heat, and was still shivering.

This was in your home or car?

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 11:51:12 am »
What are you guys paying for heat during the cold months on average? My oil bill was in the 150,000 Won a month area. But my apartment was always warm. I hung out in shorts and a T-shirt. I've never understood why some people cheap out and sit around in their place freezing, or sweating in the summer cuz they're too cheap to turn on the aircon.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 11:55:44 am »
Not just a way to save money, but better for the environment and healthier (think ice baths and saunas).

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 11:57:07 am »
Aircon in summer, Ondol at 20 in the winter. I can handle the cold but heat kills me instantly.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 12:03:57 pm »
I can handle the cold but heat kills me instantly.
Ditto. I can pile on the blankets but I can't tear off my skin.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 12:11:58 pm »
I don't even have a/c.  It would be nice, and last year I inquired about installing it, but even with a used one it was a waste of money.  I was going to have to pay additional money because for some reason the rack to hold it outside my balcony was going to have to be installed by a cherry picker type thing.  I got used to falling asleep in Thai heat after just a cool shower, so there are only a few weeks here I would need it.  I do fine with a fan.  And seven showers a day. 

But, I hate sitting around in my home feeling I need to dress warmly.  I want to be able to curse Netflix and Amazon Prime for having so much sh*t programming while I'm sitting comfortably in a t-shirt and some lazy pants.  And I got my heating pad for my mattress so all I need is a light blanket. 

It's still a lot cheaper here, unless you're in the boonies maybe, to keep the a small apartment toasty.  Back home you can tell the difference between going to a home someone has bought as opposed to where someone is renting.  My brother rents an apartment with utilities included.  It can be the coldest winter day and you'll be comfortably sitting on the couch in boxers and a t-shirt.  Head out to my mom's previous house she owned and the thermostat was set firmly at 60 (F) and you wore a sweater inside the whole time. 

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 12:34:16 pm »
This was in your home or car?

My home.

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 12:34:49 pm »
I never, ever turn on my ondol for two reasons: 1) It's difficult to regulate and gets my little one room uncomfortably warm AND humid very quickly, and 2) it causes condensation on my walls, which, when combined with the warmth, very rapidly leads to mold growth. Like we're talking overnight.

So my gas bill is only ever around 10-15k won per month, depending on how often I use my stove to cook.

I use my aircon very liberally, I don't care how much it'll cost me. During the winter months, my electric bill is around 20k per month. During the spring and summer, it ranges from 40-60k per month, but for some reason I always end up with a 90-100k electric bill during August or September, despite the fact that my use of everything is no different than it was in previous months. I've always just chalked this up to some type of consolidation involving complex mathematics determined by number of occupants in a building or whatever, and it's only ever just 1 month out of the year. But my electric bill is actually in my landlord's name, and I sometimes wonder if things would change if I got it in my own name, lol.

@Kayos: There are hand warmers specifically designed for gamers. I don't know what kind of products are out there, but I've heard of specially designed gloves and also stuff like this.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:36:52 pm by Chinguetti »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 12:57:27 pm »
I know, I know, I'm Canadian, too and I've dealt with a lot colder and a lot more snow for months on end for much of my life.  I have no doubt there are some Canadians out there today in cargo shorts praying people will come up and ask "Aren't you cold?" so they can stammer out the "C-c-c-old?  I'm f-f-f-from C-c-c-canada, this is n-n-n-nothing." However, I'm not in Canada now and haven't experienced a Canadian winter in 12 blessed years.  Minus 16 and feeling like minus 23 when I headed out to work this morning.  It's only warmed up to -15 now, high is -11.  That's pretty damn cold for the Seoul area in my experience.  Been at work for two hours with both heaters on in the class and I'm still chilly.  Sun is starting to hit my wing now so that'll make a difference. 

On a plus side it was really pretty out last night with all the snow.  I'd forgotten how bright it is at night when the ground is covered in snow.  But, I still hope it's all gone in a few days when the temperature is expected to go back up.  Do I wear boots or shoes?  Boots are better in the snow but shoes are better on the icy paths.  Pain in the ass that I generally don't have to deal with in this neck of the woods. 

It's been 15 or 16 years since I have seen a real Canadian winter.  (And my winter is more mild than some other parts of Canada except for Vancouver area and Toronto area with southwestern Ontario which are warmer than other parts of Canada. )  While we have had brief cold snaps in January before and even the occasional snowfall.  But it is rare to get the snowfall with the cold weather to follow.  It is nice to have a few days with snow and cold together.  It makes me homesick for a real winter. 

The key to suriving it is to dress warm with the right layers.  My llbean boots, gloves, thermal underwear, fleece layer, and wool socks work well during these times.  I wish it would last a bit longer though it should be gone by next week.  You need to dress for it.  If you don't, then it will be hell. 

I prefer a nice dry cold like this over a warmer damp cold with humid air.  Last Monday it was 2 or 3 degrees above 0 but a little damp and I was freezing more then, than now.  As for home, on these days when it is below 0 all day long, I leave the heat on slightly at home even when I go out.  Whereas most of the time, I will turn off the heat during the daytime when I am out.  But not today.  I left it on. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2021, 12:59:27 pm »
I've lived in Victoria, Calgary and Halifax and I found zero degrees in Victoria and Halifax way colder than -20 in Calgary where it's so dry you'd need a hydraulic press to make a snowball.

I love how the locals all talk about how they love the cold weather and would love to live in Canada. The other day it was 14C and my wife (who is one of the talkers) was in a full on parka with a fur lined hood.

How I would love to introduce them to a full-term Quebec City winter.

Some folks don't get the difference between a dry cold and a damp cold which I just mentioned above.  I prefer a dry colder cold than a damp warmer cold any day of the week.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2021, 12:59:38 pm »
I never, ever turn on my ondol for two reasons: 1) It's difficult to regulate and gets my little one room uncomfortably warm AND humid very quickly, and 2) it causes condensation on my walls, which, when combined with the warmth, very rapidly leads to mold growth. Like we're talking overnight.

So my gas bill is only ever around 10-15k won per month, depending on how often I use my stove to cook.

I use my aircon very liberally, I don't care how much it'll cost me. During the winter months, my electric bill is around 20k per month. During the spring and summer, it ranges from 40-60k per month, but for some reason I always end up with a 90-100k electric bill during August or September, despite the fact that my use of everything is no different than it was in previous months. I've always just chalked this up to some type of consolidation involving complex mathematics determined by number of occupants in a building or whatever, and it's only ever just 1 month out of the year. But my electric bill is actually in my landlord's name, and I sometimes wonder if things would change if I got it in my own name, lol.

@Kayos: There are hand warmers specifically designed for gamers. I don't know what kind of products are out there, but I've heard of specially designed gloves and also stuff like this.

I was actually looking at the thing you linked right after I sent my earlier message! :D

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:58 pm »
Sold out now, but later on, you can buy.  Order one size up from your normal size.  I wear now.  My feet are so incredibly warm right now walking through the woods.  https://global.llbean.com/shop/Mens-Waterproof-Insulated-Wildcat-Boots-Lace-Up/0SVR104110.html

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2021, 01:15:11 pm »
I don't even have a/c.  It would be nice, and last year I inquired about installing it, but even with a used one it was a waste of money.  I was going to have to pay additional money because for some reason the rack to hold it outside my balcony was going to have to be installed by a cherry picker type thing.  I got used to falling asleep in Thai heat after just a cool shower, so there are only a few weeks here I would need it.  I do fine with a fan.  And seven showers a day. 

But, I hate sitting around in my home feeling I need to dress warmly.  I want to be able to curse Netflix and Amazon Prime for having so much sh*t programming while I'm sitting comfortably in a t-shirt and some lazy pants.  And I got my heating pad for my mattress so all I need is a light blanket. 

It's still a lot cheaper here, unless you're in the boonies maybe, to keep the a small apartment toasty.  Back home you can tell the difference between going to a home someone has bought as opposed to where someone is renting.  My brother rents an apartment with utilities included.  It can be the coldest winter day and you'll be comfortably sitting on the couch in boxers and a t-shirt.  Head out to my mom's previous house she owned and the thermostat was set firmly at 60 (F) and you wore a sweater inside the whole time. 

??  The L shaped bracket that you put the air con on over the window or wall is around 100 thousand won extra.  Not that much money.  I had one installed at my apartment in 2019.  I bought a Carrier for 11 pyeong wall mounted one with an inverter (to save energy) and is quiet for my neighbors.  (I bought at Junja Land.)  Total fee was 1 million won for installation and purchase and delivery.  I did have to pay 100 k for that extra L shape mounted bracket. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2021, 01:19:37 pm »
What are you guys paying for heat during the cold months on average? My oil bill was in the 150,000 Won a month area. But my apartment was always warm. I hung out in shorts and a T-shirt. I've never understood why some people cheap out and sit around in their place freezing, or sweating in the summer cuz they're too cheap to turn on the aircon.

It's probably what happens when you work for 2.1 million won.  Those folks are poor.  Anyways, I don't get them either.  I use as much air con as I want for 4 to 5 months a year in Korea.  I also use heat as much as I need.  I don't need a lot of heat due to my body temperature and also a good quality breathable quilt.  So, I am often 10 to 15 degrees when I sleep due to my very warm quilt.  But am closer to 20 degrees in the evening.  But during this cold snap, I have it turned up more and even leave it on while I am out.  I like some comfort instead of cheapening out.  However, I like cooler temps.  So, I wear a thermal shirt and keep it cool inside. 

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2021, 01:25:36 pm »
It's probably what happens when you work for 2.1 million won.  Those folks are poor.  Anyways, I don't get them either.  I use as much air con as I want for 4 to 5 months a year in Korea.  I also use heat as much as I need.  I don't need a lot of heat due to my body temperature and also a good quality breathable quilt.  So, I am often 10 to 15 degrees when I sleep due to my very warm quilt.  But am closer to 20 degrees in the evening.  But during this cold snap, I have it turned up more and even leave it on while I am out.  I like some comfort instead of cheapening out.  However, I like cooler temps.  So, I wear a thermal shirt and keep it cool inside.

Wage has nothing to do with it, at least not for everyone. I was using all the AC and heat I wanted when I was on 2.1 a few years ago.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2021, 01:26:12 pm »

It sounds like your place is old or cheaply built.  I had lived in a variety of places before settling into better places and paying my own deposits.  Korea does have a lot of humidity and damp days in winter (though not now).  Turning on ondol heat should make it dry inside.  You often need a humidifier to get rid of the dry air inside. 

If your place is uninsulated, the dampness can seep through the walls and get stuck in the wallpaper especially when it is behind a piece of furniture without air flow.  Newer places and better built apartments shouldn't have this problem in my experiences due to insulation or thickness of walls. 

In an older place almost better to remove the wall paper and paint the walls a color you like.  Maybe put a water proof or mold proof pre coat painted on before.  Move to a newer place if you can afford the deposit though.  That way you can use as much or as little ondol as you wish.  Long term it is not good for your health to breath that moldiness in.   

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2021, 01:26:58 pm »
??  The L shaped bracket that you put the air con on over the window or wall is around 100 thousand won extra.  Not that much money.  I had one installed at my apartment in 2019.  I bought a Carrier for 11 pyeong wall mounted one with an inverter (to save energy) and is quiet for my neighbors.  (I bought at Junja Land.)  Total fee was 1 million won for installation and purchase and delivery.  I did have to pay 100 k for that extra L shape mounted bracket. 

I think the total I was looking at was 500k, but for me it's just not worth it.  The officetel I was living in previously came with one and there were just a few weeks a year, maybe a month where I would on occasion use it.  I don't need it.  I would much faster throw a million won into my travel account if I was going to spend it.  The time I tend to use or want a/c is during the day, and I'm not a homebody outside of work. And I don't like sleeping with a/c on most nights.  I suffer on some of the worst days, but it's not worth the money for me.  A fan usually does the trick. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2021, 01:27:02 pm »
Wage has nothing to do with it, at least not for everyone. I was using all the AC and heat I wanted when I was on 2.1 a few years ago.

It was tongue in cheek.  But my gist was I also use as much heat and cold as I want.  I always have. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2021, 01:28:05 pm »
I think the total I was looking at was 500k, but for me it's just not worth it.  The officetel I was living in previously came with one and there were just a few weeks a year, maybe a month where I would on occasion use it.  I don't need it.  I would much faster throw a million won into my travel account if I was going to spend it.  The time I tend to use or want a/c is during the day, and I'm not a homebody outside of work. And I don't like sleeping with a/c on most nights.  I suffer on some of the worst days, but it's not worth the money for me.  A fan usually does the trick. 

Wow!  I run the ac for almost five months a year here, especially at night.  I can't sleep when I am too hot. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2021, 01:32:57 pm »
Some people are pricks to animals in this country. Usually
soju swilling, fag smoking dog meat eating ajoshis.

I saved an injured kitten in 1996. I built it a house from Styrofoam
and bought it some spam and milk. I came back in the morning and
it was still there. I brought it to the vet and he amputated its tail.
(Kids used to tie cats to trees by their tails and then stone them to
death.) I was going to bring it home only until it got better. It stayed
for twenty years. It used to follow me six blocks to school in the morning
and then return home and let itself in through an open window.

Yeah that happens all the time here.  You have to put out a plastic or styrofoam bowl if you are going to leave out some food or drink for the neighborhood kitties.  That way when it is gone or removed, you're not out much money.