Read 3193 times

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: GEPIK S+ salary category gone?
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2021, 11:13:04 am »
That's all true, no doubt. Do you think that a higher percentage of NETs are staying for extended periods of time in Korea now as compared to a decade or two ago?
I personally feel that the percentage is higher. The turnover seems much lower now than when I first got here...  but that might just be in my particular neck of the woods which is not particularly representative of the rest of the country.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2021, 11:27:15 am »
A read that English teaching adjusted for inflation wages and conditions deteriorated faster elsewhere than in Korea. So not so easy to just hop to another country now. Taiwan went downhill. Japan went downhill. Pretty much everywhere went downhill. So where are the decent money making options aside from Korea now? Just China, a place with horrible air pollution and a slow Internet that is censored? Many would rather not go there. Options are narrowing. Europe doesn’t pay well anymore. South American pay has gone way down. So Korea it is. 

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2021, 12:12:21 pm »
That's all true, no doubt. Do you think that a higher percentage of NETs are staying for extended periods of time in Korea now as compared to a decade or two ago?
I personally feel that the percentage is higher. The turnover seems much lower now than when I first got here...  but that might just be in my particular neck of the woods which is not particularly representative of the rest of the country.
For sure, in the 2000's you'd be lucky if 10% stayed longer than a year.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2021, 12:35:34 pm »
A read that English teaching adjusted for inflation wages and conditions deteriorated faster elsewhere than in Korea. So not so easy to just hop to another country now. Taiwan went downhill. Japan went downhill. Pretty much everywhere went downhill. So where are the decent money making options aside from Korea now? Just China, a place with horrible air pollution and a slow Internet that is censored? Many would rather not go there. Options are narrowing. Europe doesn’t pay well anymore. South American pay has gone way down. So Korea it is. 

Most Asian countries are raising their pay.  You're also forgetting people had to put up with way more BS in Korea back in the day in some ways, while having slackness and chillness in other ways.  So, China and other countries are no different now.  Granny taking a dump on the side of the road or an ajossi throwing his trash out the truck window while driving down the road were par for the course here back in the day out in the country.  Food poisoning and weird gross bathrooms were the starting point. 

Taiwan, Korea, and Japan seem to keep it the same.  The others are up and coming.  Vietnam is decent. China is the best pay in the east.  Other Asian countries hire on a smaller scale but will for experience and formal TESOL certification.  I have seen 2000 dollars US offered in some of these other place with a very very cheap living cost. 

Sadly, I never got a TESOL.  Never use to have one and Korea doesn't offer one.  Well, in English.  I think the British council might offer a CELTA a couple of weeknights.  But you have to live in Seoul.  The rest of the country, no English TESOL courses.  A 120 hour in class TESOL is necessary or more credible applying for the better jobs elsewhere and the middle east. 

A TESOL with course costs, flight to where ever, hotel, and eating costs for a month will probably be 4 or 5 thousand depending on how cheaply you want to live?  From here, Japan or Thailand?  Japan may be easier to go to on a tourist visa.  (Don't think you need a student visa?)  If I exit Korea, I would go this route then home to chill (sister's basement or dad's spare room) for a bit, then hit the hustlings  and start forwarding the applications. 

I remember on the Korean job site on Dave's I'd put a resume and get my email box spammed with tons and tons of recruiters back in the day.  China and Vietnam boards and Facebook groups are like this today.  I still remember out in the provinces, the novelty of being a foreigner, having parents bow to me in the street working in their kids middle school, walking into the Provincial Education Office when I visited the capital city for an informal "whazzup" chitchat with the supervisor, all the go home earlies, and "unofficial" extra days off, and kids screaming "hello" at me getting really excited to see me where ever I went (though some foreigners didn't like kids and hated it).  Boy, it wasn't just the money, it was the whole package.  Makes me nostalgic for the good old days, compared to the rules based arms length structured approach today.  (Xenophobia, food poisoning, difficulty communicating with locals asides.)  Maybe a new country is what I need to bring that back.  Ha ha. 

• hamid62
  • Adventurer

• December 19, 2016, 02:17:24 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2021, 03:45:26 pm »
Actually, the ceiling is higher for teachers in Taiwan in the public school system as people continue to get raises every year, I believe. At least that's what one of the teachers explained to me. It's also a bit easier to immigrate there than to Korea.

Also, China's air is bad in most major cities but there are several cities where it's comparable to Korea or better. My own city was fine when I lived there except in the winter months when the air pollution was at its worse. Also, the internet isn't slow there--it just doesn't allow you to access western social media which is easily rectified with a VPN (which btw the government is already aware that much of its population uses and not just the foreigners, they just don't care as long as you don't draw a lot of attention to yourself.)

When did Europe ever really pay well? As far as I know, most people just go to Europe for the cultural experience and better healthcare system rather than the pay. And usually, you have to be from the UK or a British Commonwealth country to be able to apply for decent jobs rather than just academy jobs.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2021, 01:53:20 pm »
Actually, the ceiling is higher for teachers in Taiwan in the public school system as people continue to get raises every year, I believe. At least that's what one of the teachers explained to me. It's also a bit easier to immigrate there than to Korea.

Also, China's air is bad in most major cities but there are several cities where it's comparable to Korea or better. My own city was fine when I lived there except in the winter months when the air pollution was at its worse. Also, the internet isn't slow there--it just doesn't allow you to access western social media which is easily rectified with a VPN (which btw the government is already aware that much of its population uses and not just the foreigners, they just don't care as long as you don't draw a lot of attention to yourself.)

When did Europe ever really pay well? As far as I know, most people just go to Europe for the cultural experience and better healthcare system rather than the pay. And usually, you have to be from the UK or a British Commonwealth country to be able to apply for decent jobs rather than just academy jobs.

But you have to be a certified teacher to do ESL in their schools there I do believe?  So, it shuts most out.  Not sure why they require it since you're doing ESL and not teaching like back home.  Hiring experienced nets from Korea and elsewhere would be just as effective.  Not really sure if I want to take an Ed degree for 2 years just to teach there.  But if you have an ed degree, it would be good for you to go and try. 

• DocH
  • Adventurer

• March 01, 2021, 11:25:39 am
    • pub
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2021, 07:01:42 am »
But you have to be a certified teacher to do ESL in their schools there I do believe?  So, it shuts most out.  Not sure why they require it since you're doing ESL and not teaching like back home.  Hiring experienced nets from Korea and elsewhere would be just as effective.  Not really sure if I want to take an Ed degree for 2 years just to teach there.  But if you have an ed degree, it would be good for you to go and try.

Actually, a substitute teaching license will qualify you to teach at a public school in Taiwan.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2021, 07:44:57 am »
Actually, a substitute teaching license will qualify you to teach at a public school in Taiwan.

I never heard of a substitute teaching licence before.  In Canada a bachelor's will allow you to  work as a sub in the schools.  IE  Teacher's sick days.  No education degree necessary for those.  So, get a form saying you can work as a sub and you're good to go in Taiwan? 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2021, 07:46:05 am »
Yeah...I used to get the full 2.7 at my other school and then when I moved to this school they said it was taken out of the contract.  I make less now than I did 10 years ago....ridiculous.  With that and every time you change schools your pay is on a lower pay scale....it's really disheartening.

Why do they lower your pay?  Aren't you still employed with the same province?  Once COVID is done, time to hop countries.