Read 970 times

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
Re: GEPIK S+ salary category gone?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 05:41:43 pm »
The GEPIK coordinator is a complete waste of space.  Hasn't helped or called me back with huge issues my friends and I are having right now regarding our contracts being breached.  It seems GEPIK just uses a rando gyopo who just exists in a chair and doesn't offer any advice or legit help. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 07:22:53 am »
    To be fair, the position is a lot more difficult than most people realise. There's pressure both from the teachers who believe (incorrectly) that the rc has some kind of administrative power to actually do things for them, and there's pressure from the POE/MOE to keep all the teachers in line. Even distributing information, which is the main point of the job, can be a challenge as very few of the resources available to rc are in English (which is one reason why proficiency in Korean is strongly recommended for the position).

For example, a good friend of mine essentially rage quit the job because they were being expected to relay nuanced explanations about changes in labour law to their region (which are difficult to understand and explain even in one's native language) but were not provided any kind of language support, and were essentially told to just "deal with it, it's your responsibility". Every hitch in the process was blamed on them, and the pressure to perform a basically impossible task became incredibly unpleasant.

Also, as regional coordinators spend a fair bit of time at the MOE/POE offices, there can be a fair bit more interaction with the Korean admin. That can be a good thing or a very very bad thing, depending on the office environment.

Finally, ESL teachers are like cats. Good luck trying to herd a large group of us towards any kind of goal or group understanding: all of us are constantly wandering off on tangent, asking inane questions, and making things more complicated than they need to be. It can be a very difficult job if there isn't adequate support, or if the higher-ups are being even a little bit unreasonable.

All that said, the MOE and POEs could probably do a better job screening the coordinators. They hand the job out to all kinds of riffraff.  :wink:

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2021, 08:17:14 am »
The GEPIK coordinator is a complete waste of space.  Hasn't helped or called me back with huge issues my friends and I are having right now regarding our contracts being breached.  It seems GEPIK just uses a rando gyopo who just exists in a chair and doesn't offer any advice or legit help. 

That's how I've always seen it.  Basically yes men (people?) for the admins.  The last time I spoke to one was a number of years back when I was trying to explain to my co-t that it wasn't the current contract's renewal clause that applied but the previous year's.  They had made a change from twelve days renewal to five.  Anyways, this completely disinterested gyopo told me the answer that was obviously the company line.  I told him it would be a matter for the labour board to decide and not him.  His response was the labour board will just tell you the same thing.  A number of people complained. I knew one person that did contact the labour board and some time later the handler came around with the contract and and had me sign that I agreed that next year would be only a five day renewal, but this year I was entitled to twelve.  The useless twit made zero effort to represent the teachers' legitimate interests.  No idea why the position exists.