Read 590 times

Housing allowance and salary reduced due to Covid
« on: January 03, 2021, 04:21:01 pm »
I have been in contact with an individual from this site regarding a few concerns of mine with my salary, and I was hoping to get some additional responses here, just in case.

I was told by my head teacher on Thursday evening as I left work that my schedule for January would change to "part time" and that my housing allowance and salary would reflect this, meaning I would receive only half pay. Every day in January I was to show up, teach four hours, and leave (which would have been 20 teaching hours, 2/3 of my max hours, but I digress).  However, I just I received my schedule and it reflected not only 2/3 of my time spent at school, but 2/3 of my maximum teaching hours. Therefore, I was told my pay and housing will be 2/3 come February 10th payday. When reviewing my contract there's nothing in it regarding my housing allowance being cut due to hours worked, nor what to do when they randomly cut my hours, being a full-time worker and all...

So is my housing allowance linked to my teaching hours?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Housing allowance and salary reduced due to Covid
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:45:54 pm »
call seoul global centre and ask. they are helpful

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 06:42:52 pm »
Clear breach of contract.

According to labour law, any hours worked totalling 15 or over per week cannot be classed as "part time".

If they want to pay you less, they cannot just toss the current contract to the side and pay you what they wish. Either adhere to the terms in the current signed contract, or reach a mutual signed agreement on new terms...or terminate the current contract early and pay the employee what they are due.

It's entirely up to you whether you want to fight this or not. A lot needs to be factored in such as your work relationship with your boss (do they pay on time,aare they generally fair etc).

I've had maybe 3 bosses in Korea I would have accepted this from...because there were times I was in a pickle and they helped me out, and vice versa.

My advice - negotiate the new terms to something more beneficial to you...you might even want them to sign a letter of permission allowing you to register a second PT job on your visa...if you alreadyhhad a good working relationship with them.a

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 10:40:50 pm »
I see.

Thanks for the replies.