Read 5223 times

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
Re: Scotty, I need more power!
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2021, 12:14:24 pm »
This may come as a shock to you- but some people come here for essentially a working vacation, NOT purely for the money.

He hasn't quite grasped it yet. Just give him time. Hangook77's brain just works a little slower than most

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2021, 12:41:14 pm »
This may come as a shock to you- but some people come here for essentially a working vacation, NOT purely for the money.

That's like paying money for a job. 

Most everyone I knew back in the day came for the money to pay off loans save up money etc.  I get there is 0.00001% of rich American kids who like k pop or whatever and would collect trash trash on the street in the hopes of coming here and living a fake instagram k drama selfie life, but it's not the majority. 

Anyways, seems like a lot of hakwon owners are greedy pricks if they can't even pay the quarantine stay.  No matter how many apologists argue with me, it's dumb, it's exploitation, and folks should just refuse it unless they pay.  I wouldn't do it. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:55:10 pm by Kyndo »

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2021, 01:00:01 pm »

Most everyone I knew back in the day came for the money to pay off loans save up money etc.  I get there is 0.00001% of rich American kids who like k pop or whatever and would collect trash trash on the street in the hopes of coming here and living a fake instagram k drama selfie life, but it's not the majority. 

Anyways, seems like a lot of hakwon owners are greedy pricks if they can't even pay the quarantine stay.  No matter how many apologists argue with me, it's dumb, it's exploitation, and folks should just refuse it unless they pay.  I wouldn't do it.

Yes. These are the only two kinds of people that would possibly come to Korea.

« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2021, 01:09:28 pm »

Newsflash: Your day was over a long time ago. It's a new era. I'd say something like 20-50% of the newbies have some knowledge of Korea and stuff and actively chose coming here. A lot of others fall into the inbetween category of "I want to see all of Asia and travel and Korea is a good place to do that from while still making a little money." Many of them get some help from mom and dad "$2,000 bucks during crazy times and you get to see the world and have your first job? Sure, anything for my champ who just graduated. Hey at least you'll be safe from Corona over there."

They aren't all skinflints who are shaving the 10 wons and spending their time ranting about hagwon wages on the internet while posting stuff from Breitbart. If you really think that number is .00001%, you need to get out more and stop meeting the same old bitter expats at whatever dive bar you go to.

I have the sneaking suspicion that if things were reversed, given how much you go on and on about wages, that you'd be just as miserly. If Trump was charging them, you'd call it a brilliant move.

« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2021, 05:01:47 pm »
Will hangook answer any one of these eighteen questions, yes or no?

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2021, 07:56:11 am »
Newsflash: Your day was over a long time ago. It's a new era. I'd say something like 20-50% of the newbies have some knowledge of Korea and stuff and actively chose coming here. A lot of others fall into the inbetween category of "I want to see all of Asia and travel and Korea is a good place to do that from while still making a little money." Many of them get some help from mom and dad "$2,000 bucks during crazy times and you get to see the world and have your first job? Sure, anything for my champ who just graduated. Hey at least you'll be safe from Corona over there."

They aren't all skinflints who are shaving the 10 wons and spending their time ranting about hagwon wages on the internet while posting stuff from Breitbart. If you really think that number is .00001%, you need to get out more and stop meeting the same old bitter expats at whatever dive bar you go to.
I have the sneaking suspicion that if things were reversed, given how much you go on and on about wages, that you'd be just as miserly. If Trump was charging them, you'd call it a brilliant move.

I'm still not paying for a job; though your reaction to poor kids who struggled and borrowed to go to school seems to be FU.  It's not a brilliant move and it's disgusting given how low hakwons are paying and even making them pay a return flight now that they won't even cover a quarantine cost.  A lot of you wish to defend that.  So be it.  It's BS and exploitation but whatever floats your boat.  I wouldn't do it. 

« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2021, 10:33:22 am »
I'm still not paying for a job; though your reaction to poor kids who struggled and borrowed to go to school seems to be FU.  It's not a brilliant move and it's disgusting given how low hakwons are paying and even making them pay a return flight now that they won't even cover a quarantine cost.  A lot of you wish to defend that.  So be it.  It's BS and exploitation but whatever floats your boat.  I wouldn't do it. 
I'm not saying I agree, I'm saying I understand. You can't force people to be charitable. And if people are willing to cover costs to work for you in an industry with high turnover and frequent instances of people suddenly leaving, well it makes business sense to let them bear the costs.

I think if you were a hagwon owner, your charity would have lasted as long as it took for one of your new hires to pull a runner after 6 weeks.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2021, 01:35:01 pm »
I'm not saying I agree, I'm saying I understand. You can't force people to be charitable. And if people are willing to cover costs to work for you in an industry with high turnover and frequent instances of people suddenly leaving, well it makes business sense to let them bear the costs.

I think if you were a hagwon owner, your charity would have lasted as long as it took for one of your new hires to pull a runner after 6 weeks.

I still wouldn't do it.  Given how little money you will have saved at the end of the year already when you consider having to pay your flight home now instead of the hakwon paying it and now paying a couple million won for this.  It's really not saving much cash at all.  I post this because I really wish more folks would do basic math.  (Maybe they have to learn it first?)  Take a trip somewhere in Asia and subtract that off the amount.  (Though I suppose no travel due to corona.) 

A Chinese ad I saw this morning said 21 day quarantine there and paid for by the employer. 

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2021, 01:58:42 pm »
I still wouldn't do it.  Given how little money you will have saved at the end of the year already when you consider having to pay your flight home now instead of the hakwon paying it and now paying a couple million won for this.  It's really not saving much cash at all.  I post this because I really wish more folks would do basic math.  (Maybe they have to learn it first?)  Take a trip somewhere in Asia and subtract that off the amount.  (Though I suppose no travel due to corona.) 

A Chinese ad I saw this morning said 21 day quarantine there and paid for by the employer.
Okay, but if people are willing to assume the cost, then what's the problem? perhaps they aren't looking for big profit but rather some experiences? Not everyone is here to make as much money as possible. And if someone is coming here for multiple years, then maybe the exit plane ticket isn't as big a thing. Just renew and not travel.

This is a new era. It's not like 2008 or whenever we all first lurched over here. People actively want to come here now and experience things. It's a working vacation for many.

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2021, 06:42:01 pm »
That may be true.

Then again, it may be that you can see how I'm trying to deal with Hangook77 is how I feel trying to deal with some of the critics on the left here. I will say in both cases, I'm consistent- I'm not the one making outrageous claims of conspiracies and asserting that there are dark forces that are about to rise up and take over America, which is something that well, both sides have claimed.

I'd just like to point out that as of like a month ago you were still incessantly posting dumb "stop the steal" conspiracy theory crap about Biden stealing the election.

Thanks for not doing that anymore but let's not pretend that you didn't do it in the past.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit