Read 2016 times

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Scotty, I need more power!
« on: January 01, 2021, 01:24:07 am »
Operation Warp Speed has slowed to a crawl.  trump;s incompetence continues to plague the US.

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
Re: Scotty, I need more power!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 09:56:55 am »
"Years from now they'll be talking about it. They'll be talking about this great, great thing that we did with the vaccines- a truly unprecedented amazing medical miracle. Normally, developing a vaccine takes up to ten years. Thanks to operation warp speed we developed a vaccine in just nine months."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hGHtcKkfl8

It sounds like a success.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 03:36:27 pm »
D, D-D-D, D-D-D, D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D , D-D-D-D-D-D, 》》》D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D, Doo-Doo, D, D-D-D-D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D, D-D-D, Duh-Duh-Duh-Duh
oo oo ahh ahh

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 01:27:17 am »
"Years from now they'll be talking about it. They'll be talking about this great, great thing that we did with the vaccines- a truly unprecedented amazing medical miracle. Normally, developing a vaccine takes up to ten years. Thanks to operation warp speed we developed a vaccine in just nine months."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hGHtcKkfl8

It sounds like a success.

I guess you have no idea what a success it. What good is a vaccine if people can't get it?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 04:23:44 am »
5 million Americans have gotten the vaccine thus far.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:49:09 am »
5 million Americans have gotten the vaccine thus far.
Israel is on track to vaccinate EVERYONE in the country by the end of March.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:43:36 am »
In the U.S. “more than 9.3 million people had received the first of the two needed doses of the vaccine. In total, more than 27.7 million doses have been administered.”

(That’s quite a jump compared to just a few days ago.)

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 01:54:46 am »
How many in South Korea have been vaccinated? No one. Won’t start for a while. How long until everyone gets it? We could be waiting a long time.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 02:06:31 am »
Israel is on track to vaccinate EVERYONE in the country by the end of March.
Population of Israel?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 02:16:32 am »
8.7 million in Israel. (Less than the population of Seoul.)

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 02:41:48 am »
China’s Sinovac vaccine: 50% effective
UK’s Oxford vaccine: 70% effective
USA’s Moderna and Pfizer vaccine: 95% effective

Korea ordered mostly American brands. Signed big deals yesterday and the previous days. Will start giving vaccines little by little starting in February (going slowly out of caution for potential side effects ... even though it’s already been tested.)

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 04:29:45 am »
In the U.S. “more than 9.3 million people had received the first of the two needed doses of the vaccine. In total, more than 27.7 million doses have been administered.”

The haphazard rollout has led to dramatic scenes in the state. On Monday night, Daytona Beach officials announced that the first 1,000 people lining up for Tuesday vaccinations would be allowed to park and wait overnight in Daytona Stadium to alleviate traffic and road blocking.

The announcement came after the line started to form 12 hours before the first shot on Tuesday was scheduled to be given, according to WFTV. On Monday morning, all 1,000 people allocated to receive the vaccine for the day were at the location by 6:30 a.m., a half an hour before the site was schedule to open, the outlet reported.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 04:30:53 am »
8.7 million in Israel. (Less than the population of Seoul.)
What's Israel's GDP? What's the US's?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 05:06:13 am »
Israel’s per capita GDP is $42,823. America’s is $63,051. Both are rich countries. Why is Israel #1 in the world for percentage vaccinated while the USA is #5 (which out of 200 countries is not bad; it’s towards the very top.)?
https://www.politico.eu/article/israel-coronavirus-vaccine-success-secret/

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 02:33:24 pm »
What's Israel's GDP? What's the US's?
Imagine being so stupid as to think you can directly compare the U.S. and Israel for the ability to execute a mass vaccination program. On the one hand you have an ethno-state of a population equivalent to NYCthat is geographically small. It is also hyper-militarized with essentially its entire non-elderly adult population a member of the reserves and focused on survival at all costs.

Furthermore, just because one country is ranked below another one, doesn't mean the difference is big. It's better to think of things in terms of tiers, rather than just looking at their ranking number.

Anyways, next time, maybe think and inquire before you proclaim.  You do understand that the key part of critical thinking is the thinking, not the critical, right?

Like seriously, comparing the situation in Israel to the U.S.? How dumb do you have to be to do that? That's as laughingly bad as when MayorHaggar compared New Zealand to the U.S.

I know you desperately want to have a go at Trump, but maybe wait and find good cases to use, not the first impulse that fires in your head.

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 09:59:58 pm »
Imagine being so stupid as to think you can directly compare the U.S. and Israel for the ability to execute a mass vaccination program. On the one hand you have an ethno-state of a population equivalent to NYCthat is geographically small. It is also hyper-militarized with essentially its entire non-elderly adult population a member of the reserves and focused on survival at all costs.

Furthermore, just because one country is ranked below another one, doesn't mean the difference is big. It's better to think of things in terms of tiers, rather than just looking at their ranking number.

Anyways, next time, maybe think and inquire before you proclaim.  You do understand that the key part of critical thinking is the thinking, not the critical, right?

Like seriously, comparing the situation in Israel to the U.S.? How dumb do you have to be to do that? That's as laughingly bad as when MayorHaggar compared New Zealand to the U.S.

I know you desperately want to have a go at Trump, but maybe wait and find good cases to use, not the first impulse that fires in your head.

I used https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations#country-by-country-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations for this calculation:
10.28 million doses/330 million population = ~3% of U.S. population vaccinated (single dose calculation)
2.05 million doses/8.7 million population = ~23% of Israeli population vaccinated (single dose calculation)

What even are you? Can you imagine someone so full of themselves that they would never bother to think of per capita comparisons? Someone who would never think to compare things like actual industrial output? The U.S. is number two in the world, at 16.6%. Israel doesn't even make it into the top ten. America should be wiping the floor with everyone else, instead it is lagging Israel by 20 points. Imagine someone not being able to wrap their head around that. I mean, any seemingly valid comparisons made by that person would for all time be immediately suspect. People just wouldn't be able to trust the judgement of someone like that, especially when they are incessantly obnoxious, to the point that they drive away even people who agree with them from time to time.

I imagine someone like that would be so solipsistic that they could never recognize themselves for what they truly are...a snake.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 12:32:48 am »
For total people who have gotten vaccinated, America is number one in the world. However, on a per capita basis, number five. Unfortunately, the USA contains a high number of antivaxxer conspiracy theorists who are refusing to take it. By vaccinating the entire population of Israel - Jesus land, the place Americans love - fears can be alleviated and effectiveness shown. I read America will reach herd immunity by June, South Korea by November.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 12:57:38 am »
Read the SCIENCE on vaccinations.

Depending on the sort of innoculation target:

Some are HIT & HOME RUN.
Several are MISS and forget, ignore, downplay.

Seriously, avoid the "news" and go to the science.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 05:09:18 am »
Israel is the science experiment. Looks good so far.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 11:27:01 am »
I used https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations#country-by-country-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations for this calculation:
10.28 million doses/330 million population = ~3% of U.S. population vaccinated (single dose calculation)
2.05 million doses/8.7 million population = ~23% of Israeli population vaccinated (single dose calculation)

What even are you? Can you imagine someone so full of themselves that they would never bother to think of per capita comparisons? Someone who would never think to compare things like actual industrial output? The U.S. is number two in the world, at 16.6%. Israel doesn't even make it into the top ten. America should be wiping the floor with everyone else, instead it is lagging Israel by 20 points. Imagine someone not being able to wrap their head around that. I mean, any seemingly valid comparisons made by that person would for all time be immediately suspect. People just wouldn't be able to trust the judgement of someone like that, especially when they are incessantly obnoxious, to the point that they drive away even people who agree with them from time to time.

I imagine someone like that would be so solipsistic that they could never recognize themselves for what they truly are...a snake.
You know per capita also has limitations, right? That's why no one in their right mind compares small/microsrates to sprawling countries with large populations. It doesn't scale up.