Read 2590 times

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Have you read ANY of the Covid-19 cellphone messages?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 07:51:04 am »
You can copy them now! I usually just translate the text itself on the messages app! Takes about 30 seconds if anything!

I don't have the app, and the ones that get directly sent to my phone still can't be copied.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 08:33:51 am »
I don't have the app, and the ones that get directly sent to my phone still can't be copied.

really? I was not able to copy from the direct message either before but I can now, and so can my friend! :/

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 08:45:03 am »

really? I was not able to copy from the direct message either before but I can now, and so can my friend! :/

I checked again right before making that post, and there is no updates available to my phone.
when I press and hold down the message I get: Delete; more info. More info doesn't give extra options, as I pressed that.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 09:47:38 am »
Here's what I have. Maybe it's dependant on the phone model. I did install updates on it recently, maybe that's why!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:49:14 am by CypherSoul »

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 10:15:12 am »
Sorry Laddie. It's the INTERNATIONAL language.
Go make a law then. Or you know, try to learn 2010 level tech or basic ability in the language if the country you live in.

But why should you make any effort? Just keep on screaming on an internet forum.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 10:27:50 am »
Go make a law then. Or you know, try to learn 2010 level tech or basic ability in the language if the country you live in.

But why should you make any effort? Just keep on screaming on an internet forum.

Whether SQPR should learn Korean and whether government emergency messages should be in the local and international language are two separate arguments. You are intelligent enough to see that aren't you?

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 10:48:54 am »
Whether SQPR should learn Korean and whether government emergency messages should be in the local and international language are two separate arguments. You are intelligent enough to see that aren't you?
Sure. I think in the case of EXTREME disasters they should do it in both. For the run of the mill alerts? Nah.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 10:53:28 am »
is there anything Mr.DeMartino WON'T argue about?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 11:13:51 am »
I'll admit that I'm fortunate to be fluent in the international language, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is indeed the lingua franca of our planet.

You wanna argue there should be Chinese ones? Fine. Japanese ones? Hmmmmm, you can argue.

But no one is going to do Portugese or Farsi. Or Italian. It's NOT happening.

When you go to immigration (or your cell provider) there should be a box that just says Chinese or English.

SKT is a massive company. MASSIVE. They have Eng support on the phone and I'll bet they have Chinese, too.

Chinese and Eng support should be normal for large scale things like wireless companies and THE GOVERNMENT.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 03:32:53 pm »
Funny this thread is here.  I sent a scathing message to SKT back in March about how irate I was that I couldn't copy and paste important notifications from the service into Papago.  I actually got a response, a very calm and helpful one, that advised me that the messages don't actually come from the cell phone carrier and they can't control them.  He pointed me to an app that automatically translates the messages (poorly, sometimes hilariously poorly) but that is better than nothing.  So now I can use that app and I no longer get angered about not being able to cut and paste.  So I can definitely empathize.

Who wants to take a screenshot and sit there and type all the Korean...not me that's for sure.

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 03:59:49 pm »
I'll admit that I'm fortunate to be fluent in the international language, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is indeed the lingua franca of our planet.

You wanna argue there should be Chinese ones? Fine. Japanese ones? Hmmmmm, you can argue.

But no one is going to do Portugese or Farsi. Or Italian. It's NOT happening.

When you go to immigration (or your cell provider) there should be a box that just says Chinese or English.

SKT is a massive company. MASSIVE. They have Eng support on the phone and I'll bet they have Chinese, too.

Chinese and Eng support should be normal for large scale things like wireless companies and THE GOVERNMENT.
Like I said, for the big ones sure like "Tsunami Warning: Tidal Wave Inbound. Evacuate Now"

But for "It's going to be dusty today, please wear a mask"?  Ehhhh Whatever.

Also, if someone hasn't figured out how to identify Corona-19 in Korea or what "19" means by now and has zero interest in translating, then they obviously aren't that bothered by things. Are they really upset by this or just bothered that it's not easy? It's like this cat I had that would complain and howl whenever the glass door to our living room was closed and we were in it. As soon as you open the door, the cat walks away and doesn't go in. Just upset that there was a barrier.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 04:02:05 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 04:26:30 pm »
Screenshots can be fed to google translate.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2021, 03:49:08 pm »
They aren't difficult to read. The Korean in them is quite easy to understand.

Glancing over the replies I think even Chingetti said she can understand them, and she doesn't usually seem all that bright.

A bit of effort is all you people need
oo oo ahh ahh

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 03:30:50 pm »
They aren't difficult to read. The Korean in them is quite easy to understand.

Glancing over the replies I think even Chingetti said she can understand them, and she doesn't usually seem all that bright.

A bit of effort is all you people need

This is nonsense.  They often use technical words that Westerners living here don't often encounter.  Get out with your omniscience. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2021, 07:43:58 am »
All of my translations from the Emergency App would say 3earthquake. 4earthquake.

There was no earthquake. CLEARLY. And certainly not multiple earthquakes per day.

F'in useless.

The numbers refer to richter scale, I think. Anything less than a 4.5 is essentially unnoticeable (without technology) unless you're right at the epicentre.