Read 2113 times

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
not renewing with GEPIK
« on: December 23, 2020, 02:23:54 pm »
Hey everyone,
I'm not renewing and wanted to know what advice anyone has for getting my pension etc..
I would ask my KT but I'm certain she has NO idea. For instance I know we go to the pension office, but is there just one for Gyeonggi? Do I need an appointment?   Any idea where and what exactly to bring? Do I need anything from my school for this, is it helpful to have the KT come and assist? I mean, I'll ask the school but no one is very interested in helping the foreigner anymore.
Also, any idea when they give us the bonus and flight money, does it depend on the school? I'm not sure how to get my money out of the bank here before I go. I can't use the apps because I won't have the same phone number once I leave.
and what is the best way to cancel the phone contract? I have heard SO many horror stories of the company not cancelling it and now the person has a huge bill stacked up.
Per our contract it says we have 10 days before we have to leave. Has anyone stayed a few days and hung out?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: not renewing with GEPIK
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 02:38:31 pm »
Hey everyone,
I'm not renewing and wanted to know what advice anyone has for getting my pension etc..
I would ask my KT but I'm certain she has NO idea. For instance I know we go to the pension office, but is there just one for Gyeonggi? Do I need an appointment?   Any idea where and what exactly to bring? Do I need anything from my school for this, is it helpful to have the KT come and assist?

I've cashed out my pension twice previously.  The NPS offices are all over the place.  I've been to ones in Bucheon, Suwon and Gunpo off hand.  Bring your plane ticket, E2, bank info and maybe your passport, although not sure they needed it, but why not?  I did have a letter from my public school saying I was done.  Someone else could give better details, I'm sure.  Suffice it to say it was a painless process.  I didn't take the airport lump sum payment but just had it deposited into my Korean account and withdrew at my leisure.  Again, the NPS offices are everywhere. 

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 02:41:50 pm »
I've cashed out my pension twice previously.  The NPS offices are all over the place.  I've been to ones in Bucheon, Suwon and Gunpo off hand.  Bring your plane ticket, E2, bank info and maybe your passport, although not sure they needed it, but why not?  I did have a letter from my public school saying I was done.  Someone else could give better details, I'm sure.  Suffice it to say it was a painless process.  I didn't take the airport lump sum payment but just had it deposited into my Korean account and withdrew at my leisure.  Again, the NPS offices are everywhere. 
So then you are still living in Korea then? I won't be. I need to leave. So I can't just take the money out at my leisure. I don't want it stuck here.
EDIT to add that the bank app DOES NOT WORK  on my phone. I spent an hour at the bank itself and 5 people and an hour later...nothing

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 02:45:53 pm »
So then you are still living in Korea then? I won't be. I need to leave. So I can't just take the money out at my leisure. I don't want it stuck here.
EDIT to add that the bank app DOES NOT WORK  on my phone. I spent an hour at the bank itself and 5 people and an hour later...nothing

No, I cashed out and left the country.  I didn't need to close my Korean bank account so just had them deposit it there and took it as I needed it.  I could've withdrawn all of it if I wanted to.  I have since returned to Korea but my examples were cases of wrapping up work and leaving the country.  Unless, you go close your account, your Korean bank account won't stop working because you've handed in your E2 and left the country.  All the pension money that is put in and money from your school can all be withdrawn from abroad without problem. 

As far as being paid out, my previous public school paid me absolutely everything before I was even done.  The co-t was leaving and put in all the paperwork early and the last payday everything they owed was deposited.  Differs at every school, but they can't drag their feet too long, and there really is no reason for them to do that. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 02:52:00 pm by OnNut81 »

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 02:46:08 pm »

Give them the info for the bank account you want the money deposited in?

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 02:47:27 pm »
Give them the info for the bank account you want the money deposited in?
uh, ok, I guess that's assuming I get all the money in my Korean account before I leave and can get to the bank as well.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 02:48:53 pm »
uh, ok, I guess that's assuming I get all the money in my Korean account before I leave and can get to the bank as well.

The easiest thing to do is to set up online banking. I think you know this. And it's amazing that in 2020 you haven't already done this.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 02:52:46 pm »
The easiest thing to do is to set up online banking. I think you know this. And it's amazing that in 2020 you haven't already done this.
Um, actually I DID and it took literally TWO  HOURs to get the schools computer set up online. that was over a year ago and the certificate is not valid. I guess I'll take another 2 hours to hopefully find someone who can speak english to help me get it on my Mac.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 02:55:21 pm »

As far as being paid out, my previous public school paid me absolutely everything before I was even done.  The co-t was leaving and put in all the paperwork early and the last payday everything they owed was deposited.  Differs at every school, but they can't drag their feet too long, and there really is no reason for them to do that. 
thanks for your respsonse

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 02:58:46 pm »
Um, actually I DID and it took literally TWO  HOURs to get the schools computer set up online. that was over a year ago and the certificate is not valid. I guess I'll take another 2 hours to hopefully find someone who can speak english to help me.

Withdraw the money at an ATM in your home country?

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 07:31:51 am »
Um, actually I DID and it took literally TWO  HOURs to get the schools computer set up online. that was over a year ago and the certificate is not valid. I guess I'll take another 2 hours to hopefully find someone who can speak english to help me get it on my Mac.

If you have a smartphone it's very easy to use the banking apps, many are in English.  Take your phone into a branch and they'll set it up for you in under 5 minutes.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 08:26:55 am »
Withdraw the money at an ATM in your home country?

Make darn sure it is a card that will work in a foreign country.  I remember I use to fight with Nonghyup years ago.  Then they said they would make it work abroad.  Then, I went abroad and of course it didn't.  Same with Korean credit cards which I never got but others said, they had those issues with.  (This was in the past however.)

That said, I got a new debit card 3 years ago and asked that it be allowed to work abroad.  I always wired money to Canada in advance since I never trusted it.  But, that said, I put the Nonghyup Card into the ATM at Pearson Airport while passing through Toronto and it worked.  First time in all my years here, I could withdraw the money.  So check with Nonghyup or whomever you are banking with.  Don't tell them you are leaving though. 

(My card is a blue color and has a Mastercard logo on it.  Maybe Mastercard Debit.  Not a credit card.  It says "New 농촌사랑 check" on it in the middle.  I asked her specifically to make sure it works abroad.  Though maybe it only works in some ATMs or big cities only.  I am not sure.) 

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 09:40:44 am »
Make darn sure it is a card that will work in a foreign country.  I remember I use to fight with Nonghyup years ago.  Then they said they would make it work abroad.  Then, I went abroad and of course it didn't.  Same with Korean credit cards which I never got but others said, they had those issues with.  (This was in the past however.)

That said, I got a new debit card 3 years ago and asked that it be allowed to work abroad.  I always wired money to Canada in advance since I never trusted it.  But, that said, I put the Nonghyup Card into the ATM at Pearson Airport while passing through Toronto and it worked.  First time in all my years here, I could withdraw the money.  So check with Nonghyup or whomever you are banking with.  Don't tell them you are leaving though. 

(My card is a blue color and has a Mastercard logo on it.  Maybe Mastercard Debit.  Not a credit card.  It says "New 농촌사랑 check" on it in the middle.  I asked her specifically to make sure it works abroad.  Though maybe it only works in some ATMs or big cities only.  I am not sure.)

If setting up the apps or online banking are not options. And you are out of the country, what is the alternative? Give your card to someone you trust and have them withdraw the money in Korea and deposit it in your account another way.

The obvious solution is to have online access to your account with the ability to do online transfers.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 01:04:59 pm »
If setting up the apps or online banking are not options. And you are out of the country, what is the alternative? Give your card to someone you trust and have them withdraw the money in Korea and deposit it in your account another way.

The obvious solution is to have online access to your account with the ability to do online transfers.

Like I said, my card works now overseas for withdraws and with Nonghyup no less which use to have a terrible rep.  Their online banking transfers are easy enough.  I brought the security key thingee to Canada one summer and I got paid while home and I wanted to transfer the funds.  (I also photocopied some Nonghyup ID number card thing and brought with me too as well as a copy of my banking info.)  I stuck the USB in my sister's laptop back home and fired the money over to my Canadian bank and had it within a couple of days.  I did the transfer several years back before I had a smart phone.  (I am still distrustful of carrying money apps on the phone though will prob have to eventually.)

But it is helpful and good to know the banks will actually give cards that work overseas nowadays without the run around the lies claiming they might and then don't.  So, there are options to get your money.  Just make sure your USB yes sign code thingee is good for a while yet.  I usually always have about 10 months or so left on it when I renew my contract each year.  As long as I bring it home, I would have plenty of time to access the money.  Plus with my ATM card now. 

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 03:06:21 pm »
Hi.  I left Korea in March, so all this info is relatively recent.  I lived in a small town in Gyeonggi, and there was a pension office there.  So there is a good chance you have one near you.  Unfortunately I don't know how you would find out but definitely ask your co-teacher.  I didn't need an appointment (you can't apply until it's one month or less before your departure date though).  I brought my passport, flight info (they need to know when you are leaving the country so you have to have a flight booked), my bank account info that I wanted the money sent to (my USA bank account), my ARC, and I think that's it.  For your bank account, you'll need the swift code for the bank.  Yes, I would definitely have your co-teacher come (unless you speak really good Korean).  Although, I believe there are certain pension offices which cater to foreigners...I don't know if any are in Gyeonggi though.  I can't remember if I brought something from my school....it wouldn't hurt to bring something that tells the pension office your end date of your contract.
     My school would not send my bonuses to my USA bank account...which really sucked.  However, I had NH and they have a special remittance account you can get.  When you set this up, the money deposited in the account will be transferred automatically to your home bank account.  So my school was able to deposit the money in this specific NH account and it was deposited into my US account after a couple days.  Setting it up was a whole process though...definitely need a Korean speaker.  And it's not offered at smaller NH branches...only the bigger ones. 
     As for the phone contract...I had SKT and called them a couple days before I left Korea.  I had to fill out a cancellation form and send it to them and pay the difference left on my contract but it was relatively painless.
     My original plan was to stay until the 10th but because of the virus I left on March 1st, so I don't know about staying for a couple days.  But as long as you leave by day 10, you'll be good.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 02:21:55 pm »
Hi.  I left Korea in March, so all this info is relatively recent.  I lived in a small town in Gyeonggi, and there was a pension office there.  So there is a good chance you have one near you.  Unfortunately I don't know how you would find out but definitely ask your co-teacher.  I didn't need an appointment (you can't apply until it's one month or less before your departure date though).  I brought my passport, flight info (they need to know when you are leaving the country so you have to have a flight booked), my bank account info that I wanted the money sent to (my USA bank account), my ARC, and I think that's it.  For your bank account, you'll need the swift code for the bank.  Yes, I would definitely have your co-teacher come (unless you speak really good Korean).  Although, I believe there are certain pension offices which cater to foreigners...I don't know if any are in Gyeonggi though.  I can't remember if I brought something from my school....it wouldn't hurt to bring something that tells the pension office your end date of your contract.
     My school would not send my bonuses to my USA bank account...which really sucked.  However, I had NH and they have a special remittance account you can get.  When you set this up, the money deposited in the account will be transferred automatically to your home bank account.  So my school was able to deposit the money in this specific NH account and it was deposited into my US account after a couple days.  Setting it up was a whole process though...definitely need a Korean speaker.  And it's not offered at smaller NH branches...only the bigger ones. 
     As for the phone contract...I had SKT and called them a couple days before I left Korea.  I had to fill out a cancellation form and send it to them and pay the difference left on my contract but it was relatively painless.
     My original plan was to stay until the 10th but because of the virus I left on March 1st, so I don't know about staying for a couple days.  But as long as you leave by day 10, you'll be good.
thank you for this info. I will not have a Korean person to assist me. I wish. And my KT is moving schools, or so she hopes so my guess is she won't be available to assist via the phone either.  I guess I'll just go wing it and see if my bank , IBK, can help me set up a remittance, or ask if online banking would work. I am in Gyeonggi. I just got on the pension site and it's so overloaded that it's not working properly. I have some time to find an office, I'll try not to stress about it.
I read through the comments about and LOVE how someone suggested I take my phone in and have them set it up for me. I DID THAT!!! it took an hour and it did not work, 5 people were working on it, , hence my asking for info here. CHAAAAA 

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 03:24:08 pm »
thank you for this info. I will not have a Korean person to assist me. I wish. And my KT is moving schools, or so she hopes so my guess is she won't be available to assist via the phone either.  I guess I'll just go wing it and see if my bank , IBK, can help me set up a remittance, or ask if online banking would work. I am in Gyeonggi. I just got on the pension site and it's so overloaded that it's not working properly. I have some time to find an office, I'll try not to stress about it.
I read through the comments about and LOVE how someone suggested I take my phone in and have them set it up for me. I DID THAT!!! it took an hour and it did not work, 5 people were working on it, , hence my asking for info here. CHAAAAA 

You could also just cash out at the airport.  You have to apply at the pension office at Incheon though...maybe you have a vacation day that you can go there?  Then on the day of your departure you can pick up the money at the airport...I was going to do this but I had 4 years of pension and didn't want to carry that much money back in my home country as I would of had to declare it. 

• kawrou
  • Explorer

• March 14, 2017, 04:03:51 am
    • London
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 10:49:49 am »

Just a heads up though, banking websites in Korea don't really work on Mac. Only windows computer, and possibly internet explorer only as it requires active X

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 11:49:50 am »
Just a heads up though, banking websites in Korea don't really work on Mac. Only windows computer, and possibly internet explorer only as it requires active X
thanks for the info.

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 01:02:16 pm »
Hey everyone,
I would ask my KT but I'm certain she has NO idea. For instance I know we go to the pension office, but is there just one for Gyeonggi? Do I need an appointment?   Any idea where and what exactly to bring? Do I need anything from my school for this, is it helpful to have the KT come and assist? I mean, I'll ask the school but no one is very interested in helping the foreigner anymore.
Also, any idea when they give us the bonus and flight money, does it depend on the school? I'm not sure how to get my money out of the bank here before I go. I can't use the apps because I won't have the same phone number once I leave.
and what is the best way to cancel the phone contract? I have heard SO many horror stories of the company not cancelling it and now the person has a huge bill stacked up.
Per our contract it says we have 10 days before we have to leave. Has anyone stayed a few days and hung out?

You need to go to the nearest NPS (pension) office. There are different locations across Korea.
You need to go there and apply for lump-sum pension to go into your bank account in your home
country. That must be done before leaving Korea. You don't need to book an appointment.
As for cancelling your phone contract, if you are leaving Korea for good, the company has no right
to refuse to cancel your phone contract. I was able to cancel mine with no problem even if I had to
pay money for it.