Read 1270 times

• kayakee
  • Waygookin

• November 29, 2015, 10:55:03 pm
    • Korea
Any cheap services to call to USA/Canada?
« on: December 20, 2020, 05:12:29 pm »
I have a phone with a basic plan.

I was wondering how I can call to USA/Canada with good/cheap rates?  I tried to find phone cards but seems like
none of the stores carry them anymore.  I couldn't find any online on Gmarket too.

Is there some new way to make cheap calls?  Maybe an app or a special number I have to dial before calling?

Thanks

Re: Any cheap services to call to USA/Canada?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 05:48:30 pm »
I have some codes no idea the rates but its cheap.

1688-4949 follow the instructions with country code are code then number
Or
00345  then dial the area code + number

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 05:52:52 pm »
Skype subscription.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 07:43:44 pm »
Skype subscription.
+1

A skype number is about $50 a year, and a subscription to call Canada is $5 a month, iirc.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 08:53:41 pm »
+1

A skype number is about $50 a year, and a subscription to call Canada is $5 a month, iirc.

Or depending on how long and how frequently one plans to call, you could just simply put 5 or 10 bucks on your account and call landline phones at 26krw/min in both the USA and Canada. Untill your credit lasts. And top it up as needed.
Calling mobile phones would be at a much higher rate though, so in that case, a subscription would be more worthy.

Now that I checked, it doesn't state mobile phone rates seperately for the USA or Canada. It does for certain countries. So does that mean the rate is the same for both landlines and mobiles?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 09:05:57 pm by Lazio »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 12:26:52 am »
Or depending on how long and how frequently one plans to call, you could just simply put 5 or 10 bucks on your account and call landline phones at 26krw/min in both the USA and Canada. Untill your credit lasts. And top it up as needed.
Calling mobile phones would be at a much higher rate though, so in that case, a subscription would be more worthy.

Now that I checked, it doesn't state mobile phone rates seperately for the USA or Canada. It does for certain countries. So does that mean the rate is the same for both landlines and mobiles?

Correct.

The numbers in +1 land are not tied to any particular service. 01x is mobile in Korea, so they can set different rates.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 09:15:09 am »
Correct.

The numbers in +1 land are not tied to any particular service. 01x is mobile in Korea, so they can set different rates.

I see. That totally makes sense.
Damn, if I called a mobile number, it would be 244krw/min. Moreover, the few times when I actually did, the persons receiving the calls were also charged some money. So I just stick to landline numbers.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 10:34:41 am »
Forget phone cards, I used them a couple of times when I was in Korea and they generally suck. Dropped calls, poor connection etc.

I may be asking a stupid question OP, but don't the people you want to call have cell phones and data? If so use one of the many apps which allow free calls.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 09:30:10 pm »
Forget phone cards, I used them a couple of times when I was in Korea and they generally suck. Dropped calls, poor connection etc.

I may be asking a stupid question OP, but don't the people you want to call have cell phones and data? If so use one of the many apps which allow free calls.

I usually use Skype for calls to businesses. Banks, potential employers, (and, in the pre-covid era, hotels, car rentals), etc.

Friends and relatives are usually on at least one of WhatsApp, Facebook Messanger, Kakao Talk, Kik, Discord etc,

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 07:53:10 am »
+1

I just buy credit in advance and use as I need.  I don't get a local number.  But I can call cheap.  I think 20 won a minute or something like that for relatives whose landlines or cells I need to call.  I don't need to buy often as a 30,000 won purchase of credit lasts forever and takes a long time to deplete.  For the others messenger or whatever I can talk to other folks back home. 

Question for those who get a local Skype number?  Can you receive SMS texts via that number on a skype screeen? 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 11:59:46 am »
I just buy credit in advance and use as I need.  I don't get a local number.  But I can call cheap.  I think 20 won a minute or something like that for relatives whose landlines or cells I need to call.  I don't need to buy often as a 30,000 won purchase of credit lasts forever and takes a long time to deplete.  For the others messenger or whatever I can talk to other folks back home. 

Question for those who get a local Skype number?  Can you receive SMS texts via that number on a skype screeen? 

I have US and UK numbers.

The US one does texts, but not from automated systems such as Amazon or banks... which is what I would really like it for.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 02:07:37 pm »
I have US and UK numbers.

The US one does texts, but not from automated systems such as Amazon or banks... which is what I would really like it for.

Oh?  That's the only reason I would do it.  Otherwise, forget it. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 03:37:06 pm »
I mostly use it for business development/job search. People are more likely call back country codes they recognize compared to those they need to look up.