Read 1729 times

Native English teachers unionizing, possible? Interested?
« on: December 19, 2020, 06:23:48 pm »
Just trying to get some feelers out if neats could technically unionize and if so who to contact in terms of representation of a lawyer and/or a union organization willing to negotiate.

Thanks

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
Re: Native English teachers unionizing, possible? Interested?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 06:55:48 pm »
Actually, I don't believe in labor unions because they interfere with the free market and the liberty of employees to negotiate their own contracts.

If I want to be part of a price-fixing cartel, I'll join the Mafia, thanks.
oo oo ahh ahh

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 07:45:28 pm »
Actually, I don't believe in labor unions because they interfere with the free market and the liberty of employees to negotiate their own contracts.
Uh, you have a contract?  Thank a union.
Get Saturdays off?  Thank a union.
Overtime pay?  Thank a union.
Sick days?  Thank a union.
Paid vacation?  Thank a union.
Employer pays part of your health insurance?  Thank a union.
They can't force you to work in a toxin-filled work environment?  Thank a union.
Don't "owe your soul to the company store"?   Thank a union.

Chimp is close.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 07:46:38 pm »

Right keep drinking your koolaid rather than actually acknowledge the benefits you as a worker are reaping from other people making sacrifices to unionize.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 11:02:34 pm »
The GEPIK (never dealt with EPIK) contract asks for high school info but it's literally the name and what years.

I'm not telling anyone to lie about it, but it's NEVER come up.

EVER. Wouldn't matter anyway for me, I was in the French program at an Eng language high school anyway.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 07:41:23 am »

I hope you enjoy working 12-16hrs a day, 6-7 days a week and getting holidays at your boss' discretion.

Good luck negotiating terms on your own when you have below zero control of the market as an individual.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 07:44:37 am »
Back to OP

There have been one or two attempts at uionising over the years. It failed because nobody could agree to anything, too many E-2s were/are transient visitors with no long term plans or roots in the country and industry...plus the other teaching unions basically laughed them out of the door when foreign ESL teachers approachedooffering a possible collaboration/joining.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 01:39:31 pm »
Positive news though. The legal minimum salary for 40 hours a week increased from 1,745,150 won to 1,795,310 won. In 5 years or so hagwons will be forced to increase salaries above 2.0 million.

Source-
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=c156f412-65dd-44d9-bd6f-272f28fe33d7

T.C.

P.S. Congratulations to all those working on 2.0 million you make about 10% more than the lowest paid workers in all South Korea!
Next year you'll be making about 7-8% more  though  :cry:

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 08:39:21 pm »
Positive news though. The legal minimum salary for 40 hours a week increased from 1,745,150 won to 1,795,310 won. In 5 years or so hagwons will be forced to increase salaries above 2.0 million.

Source-
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=c156f412-65dd-44d9-bd6f-272f28fe33d7

T.C.

P.S. Congratulations to all those working on 2.0 million you make about 10% more than the lowest paid workers in all South Korea!
Next year you'll be making about 7-8% more  though  :cry:

So, how many here will keep saying how wonderful 2.1 million is?  I come across many here. 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 08:11:59 am »
So, how many here will keep saying how wonderful 2.1 million is?  I come across many here. 

You come across MANY people saying 2.1 is wonderful on this site?  I know there are people that say they can make 2.1 plus housing work in their circumstances, but I can't think of a single poster that said 2.1 is wonderful.  I don't even think there are many people beyond first years that are making 2.1.  Anyways, since there are many here who've said that, can you cite many examples?  Should be easy enough.   

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 08:15:09 am »
Our co-ordinator talked about this a bit last week.
I think, based on what we said, we can petition and stuff for a union, because any big changes have to be approved by the national education office.
They are the ones that ultimately decide things for all public schools.
It shouldn't be illegal as we are only unable to put our name on certain kinds of petitions, forget which, but it is government related.

I'm not opposed to this.

I don't say 2.1 is wonderful, but as a non-American, it's not entirely terrible either. - especially for right out of university and public school.
I'd say it's far too low for hagwon jobs though.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 12:44:04 pm »
You come across MANY people saying 2.1 is wonderful on this site?  I know there are people that say they can make 2.1 plus housing work in their circumstances, but I can't think of a single poster that said 2.1 is wonderful.  I don't even think there are many people beyond first years that are making 2.1.  Anyways, since there are many here who've said that, can you cite many examples?  Should be easy enough.   

In defense of the good old 2.1 to 2.3?  Yay!

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 01:34:22 pm »
In defense of the good old 2.1 to 2.3?  Yay!

Is that the message you really get from my comment?  You didn't even provide a single example of the many people who claim 2.1 is a wonderful salary.  You seem to continually conflate people understanding how the 2.1 salary exists with people thinking it's a "wonderful" salary.  I don't think it is a good salary and I would never take it.  However, you literally had someone on the other thread telling you point blank that they were satisfied and content at their current situation with 2.1, and you still tried to dispute it with them.  It's basically someone saying "I'm happy with 2.1 plus housing at my current stage in life" and you saying "No, you're not. It's not a good salary."  And they come back with "Well, I'm happy with my situation." and you, not knowing them from a hole in the ground saying "You shouldn't be."  How do you hope to win that argument?  You generally just revert to name calling and insulting people at a certain point, as far as I've seen. 

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 08:54:06 am »
I think ol' hangook77 needs to take his own advice and get his begging cap out and ask for more money.  His hotshot salary that dunks on all the noobs obviously isn't enough.

Making threads asking about online teaching and how to buy Bitcoin  :laugh:

If you want, I can dig out some old referral links to some gambling sites so you can match bet with the joining bonuses.  Couple of hundred dollars for a few hours work to keep the wolf from the door.  Let me know!

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 11:28:41 am »
Foreigners have establish Unions at their work places before, and there have been  5 or 6 unions established a schools by Foreigners.

Korean Foreign English Teachers’ Labor Union Establishment
https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean_Law/comments/gxhph7/korean_foreign_english_teachers_labor_union/

Here are some links on the subject
https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean_Law/comments/jh87i6/korean_labor_law_and_the_labor_union/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean_Law/comments/j8biyk/korean_labor_union_is_protected_by_the_korean/

The cost of living has gone up by about 150% since 2002, but the wages paid to Foreigners has stayed the same.

English teachers, on average, make just a 300 $ over minimum wage.

Really,

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 02:41:59 pm »
I think ol' hangook77 needs to take his own advice and get his begging cap out and ask for more money.  His hotshot salary that dunks on all the noobs obviously isn't enough.

Making threads asking about online teaching and how to buy Bitcoin  :laugh:

If you want, I can dig out some old referral links to some gambling sites so you can match bet with the joining bonuses.  Couple of hundred dollars for a few hours work to keep the wolf from the door.  Let me know!

Nothing wrong with looking to extra money cause even my salary will start falling behind and is just starting to.  But it's good to live rent free in your heads.     

I guess I must have touched a nerve cause all you 2.1 ers are coming out of hiding and doubling down on it.  (Even when I didn't comment on it today.)