Read 1623 times

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
Re: using sick time during this winter vacation
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2020, 01:38:44 pm »

My first year here, btw, I watched an ahjeosshi running a food truck blow his nose into a dirty rag, then use that same ****** rag to wipe down his wok. I have avoided food trucks ever since, but that wasn't enough to keep me safe.

omg, i just puked in my mouth a little .

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2020, 01:49:58 pm »
omg, i just puked in my mouth a little .

I'm still traumatized. He wasn't even subtle about it, it was very loud and proud and nonchalant, like there was nothing wrong with it.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2020, 01:55:39 pm »
I'm still traumatized. He wasn't even subtle about it, it was very loud and proud and nonchalant, like there was nothing wrong with it.
ugh. yikes.
and the coughing in the face. come on y'all! can we start teaching some basic manners in regards to sneezing and coughing on someone?

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2020, 02:20:55 pm »
I always thought consecutive. I have rarely used a sick day though.  But it is easy to get any doctor to write a note though? 

Every time I have gone to the clinics, I asked them for a note and they provided it without fail.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2020, 07:51:30 am »
I've gotten food poisoning twice since coming to Korea (never happened to me back in the States), but both times it's happened it was during a weekend and had run its course by Monday morning.

I don't eat out a lot in general, so having the experience happen to me more than once in the span of a year after a lifetime of never really put me off a lot of places, especially the mom and pop restaurants, which is unfortunate. Unless someone I know and trust can personally vouch for a place's food safety practices, I avoid it.

My first year here, btw, I watched an ahjeosshi running a food truck blow his nose into a dirty rag, then use that same ****** rag to wipe down his wok. I have avoided food trucks ever since, but that wasn't enough to keep me safe.

Anyway, I haven't had to use any sick days at all. Worst I've had outside of my food poisoning bouts was a minor cold that I caught from a student who coughed right into my face while I was helping him with something.  :undecided:

I've had food poisoning in both Canada and Korea.  It happens sometimes.  Rarely.  But you can head it off or the worst of it if you recognize the onset symptoms.  Usually begins with a blurred center part of your vision and goes from there. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2020, 08:01:11 am »

FYI, if the accumulated hours you've left work early/came late go above 8, that counts as one sick day. In my experience, it's only the most pedantic and anal retentive VPs and CTs who actually keep record of this nonsense. My first year in Korea, I had to ask permission and write down that I was going to the bank, across the street, for 15min during lunchtime.

I thought those counted not as sick days but as vacation days.  Yes, like you, I traditionally didn't have to sign those out.  It was usually the closer you got to Seoul you had to do that.  It seemed.  But then again even in my area, I have heard more and more of anal Ps and VPs. 

I have one friend who for years never ate the school lunch.  He always went out.  His main school got a new principal and flipped out when he went for lunch.  His other schools still let him go out for lunch.  When schools were closed in the spring, I would go out to grab a bite to eat due to no cafeteria and one of my schools got really anal insisting on signing out even though they weren't serving lunch.  They use to be really chill too.  Just all of a sudden. Ridiculous. 

Though I am curious if schools would make you sign in as late for coming 5 minutes late in the morning due to traffic delays or whatever.  I never ever had to sign in if I were running late in the morning as many Korean teachers can be the same sometimes.  (Though I should add I was never late for my classes and I am mostly on time.)    Most of my schools also know I work hard making teaching materials and prepping for classes.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 02:27:11 pm »
I'll share my experience, hopefully you can use it to decide what to do.

Last year, I took more than 3 sick days and yes, the official EPIK contract is more than 3 days (regardless of whether they're consecutive or not), you'll need a doctor's note for every day thereafter.

So, take a sick day on March 12th, another on May 5th and another on August 1st. After August 1st, every day you take off requires a doctor's note. Absolutely stupid, I know.

Someone from the MOE called each of my CTs at each of my schools to request the doctor's certificate (about a month after my 3rd sick day). I flat out said I didn't get one as I never go to the doctor when I'm sick. He kept pestering me for one, so either he was telling me to pay a doctor to fudge a certificate to give to this MOE guy so he can balance out his paperwork or he didn't understand the concept that you can't go to a doctor a month after getting sick to get a certificate. By the 2nd week, he'd stopped calling and I didn't hear anything else.

For contract renewal, my main CT signed off that I took no sick days, as she always does. She knows I take days off, but also knows how hard I work and that I make her life infinitely easier so she's more than happy to fudge the records. This has been the case for every head CT I've had and I'm pretty sure it's the case for many of us.

This year, same story. Person from MOE contacted my rural school CT and I said the same thing. Haven't heard from them again.

I know when I'm pushing my luck and I'm not trying to abuse sick days, but honestly, unless your school really doesn't like you, nobody is going to start sh*t with you taking a few extra sick days.

FYI, if the accumulated hours you've left work early/came late go above 8, that counts as one sick day. In my experience, it's only the most pedantic and anal retentive VPs and CTs who actually keep record of this nonsense. My first year in Korea, I had to ask permission and write down that I was going to the bank, across the street, for 15min during lunchtime.

The only reason why they are like this is because they've had a bad experience with a previous teacher. One of the teachers nearby did a midnight run, and the one at my school was a whole hot mess, so when I came in, they were super anal about everything. Including checking my airplane ticket when I was going home for vacation just to make sure there was a return date.  On one occasion, someone I knew personally in my city had done some weird shit to extend their winter vacation. I don't remember if they used their sick leave or they said someone died, but they used some kind of leave to go home before the semester was over. Like a whole ass two or three weeks before the last day. People think these principals and vps don't talk to each other.