Read 4846 times

• snm
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2019, 01:47:58 pm
Hey guys!

I am almost at the end of my current EPIK contract and looking to renew at the same school next year. However, I would like to move in with my significant other and split their rent to save us both money.

So does anybody have experience with getting EPIK housing allowance while living with a significant other?? Especially details on the paperwork end of things with your school. The paperwork is never-ending and mysterious  :( I am just concerned because my name would not be on the housing contract which I was asked to turn in. 

Any help would be appreciated!!!

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
Re: EPIK housing allowance question (want to move in with my partner)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 02:35:58 pm »
Hey guys!

I am almost at the end of my current EPIK contract and looking to renew at the same school next year. However, I would like to move in with my significant other and split their rent to save us both money.

So does anybody have experience with getting EPIK housing allowance while living with a significant other?? Especially details on the paperwork end of things with your school. The paperwork is never-ending and mysterious  :( I am just concerned because my name would not be on the housing contract which I was asked to turn in. 

Put the paperwork in your name. It will make it much easier for you. Of course, if your SO is also an EPIK teacher one of you will need to go through the trouble of explaining it your school.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 02:41:23 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you need to either have the apartment contract or the bills in your name as proof of residence for your visa renewal (if you're on an E2. I don't know about other visas)

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 02:44:25 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you need to either have the apartment contract or the bills in your name as proof of residence for your visa renewal (if you're on an E2. I don't know about other visas)

I wouldn't worry about proof of residence for the visa. That shouldn't be a problem. The school will want a copy of the rental contract. So you need to be prepared for everyone to know your business.

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 02:50:28 pm »
I'm sure I  can get a bill switched over to my name but the lease can't be changed to my name unfortunately :(

I can show them the housing contract with my SO's name and don't really care if they know I live with my SO (afterall all foreigners are wild nymphomaniacs already right?)

But I heard that the housing contract has to be in your name only so I am concerned about that

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 02:53:13 pm »
It should be in your name......mine is not however I am married to the person named.......however one of my schools only asked for the paper from the community office that showed I lived at the address I said...

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 02:56:53 pm »
I just re-read an email from my MOE saying we will need a copy of the rental contract under our name OR mail from a public entity, such as a gas bill, for our visa renewal. So maybe you'll be fine if you just change a bill to your name? But someone else has probably more knowledge on the subject than me and maybe there's a way around it like D.L.Orean said.

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 02:57:32 pm »
It should be in your name......mine is not however I am married to the person named.......however one of my schools only asked for the paper from the community office that showed I lived at the address I said...

I see :( it's looking less and less possible :(
thanks for the help though!!

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 02:58:18 pm »
I just re-read an email from my MOE saying we will need a copy of the rental contract under our name OR mail from a public entity, such as a gas bill, for our visa renewal. So maybe you'll be fine if you just change a bill to your name? But someone else has probably more knowledge on the subject than me and maybe there's a way around it like D.L.Orean said.

OH!!!!! this might be a way! thanks!! I will for sure check!!

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 07:35:08 am »
As I've heard, if you're not married, it's going to be a headache. Once you're married, you basically just turn in an address.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 08:02:10 am »
As I've heard, if you're not married, it's going to be a headache. Once you're married, you basically just turn in an address.

The guy who replaced me at an old elementary school came over with his girlfriend and she was a hakwan teacher in the same town with a separate home.  In his second year he moved in with her and just collected the housing stipend, so you don't need to be married.  Just go change your address at your mobile carrier to your boyfriend's and that should be the required proof.  The mobile carrier is not going to ask for your housing contract.  You just tell them you've moved. 

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 12:16:52 pm »
The guy who replaced me at an old elementary school came over with his girlfriend and she was a hakwan teacher in the same town with a separate home.  In his second year he moved in with her and just collected the housing stipend, so you don't need to be married.  Just go change your address at your mobile carrier to your boyfriend's and that should be the required proof.  The mobile carrier is not going to ask for your housing contract.  You just tell them you've moved. 

Thanks! I will look into this method!

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 12:26:20 pm »
I guess I should clarify my situation a bit more:

I am an EPIK teacher with the SMOE and I'm not currently receiving the housing stipend. If I were already receiving the stipend it would be a simple matter of just updating my address on my visa and with my local citizens center.

However, in order to receive the housing stipend in the first place I assume I will be asked for proof I have my own housing. My co-teacher asked for "부동산 월세 계약서', or '임대 계약서' which I can't switch to my name, it's in my partner's name.... That's where I'm stuck. I wonder if I can turn in another document to SMOE instead or if the document doesn't have to be in my name specifically... As far as I can see in my contract, there is no clause which stipulates the housing must be in my name to receive the stipend....

Anyways, I am reading all your guys' replies and will keep coming back to this thread for updates!!!!

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 12:43:46 pm »
There are a few different things that EPIK wants to see when they ask for paperwork.
1. They want to make sure you live where you say you live
2. They want to make sure you or your family do not own the property.
3. They want to verify how much the rent is, and will pay you accordingly.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 08:04:37 am »
I guess I should clarify my situation a bit more:

I am an EPIK teacher with the SMOE and I'm not currently receiving the housing stipend. If I were already receiving the stipend it would be a simple matter of just updating my address on my visa and with my local citizens center.

However, in order to receive the housing stipend in the first place I assume I will be asked for proof I have my own housing. My co-teacher asked for "부동산 월세 계약서', or '임대 계약서' which I can't switch to my name, it's in my partner's name.... That's where I'm stuck. I wonder if I can turn in another document to SMOE instead or if the document doesn't have to be in my name specifically... As far as I can see in my contract, there is no clause which stipulates the housing must be in my name to receive the stipend....

Anyways, I am reading all your guys' replies and will keep coming back to this thread for updates!!!!

When she renews her rental contract, can't she put both your names on it then? 

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 08:29:52 am »
I don't know if things are simpler away from Seoul.

I'm also an EPIK hire, when I switched from school housing to my own, they just asked me what date I was moving out and what my new address is.

I needed to provide no proof.  I took my rental contract to immigration, but at our renewal meeting they said if it is not in your name there is a form on Hi Korea your landlord / partner / school can fill out to give you with a copy of the contract to say that you live there.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 09:16:50 am »
Hey guys!

Shouldn't have any issues. Just inform your MOE that you want to switch to the housing allowance. Whether you're married or where you're living is absolutely none of their business. My wife and I did it and so did 3 other couples in my city, 2 weren't married.

When you move in, just speak with your landlord and he'll bring you a 2 contracts that you can add your name to, one for him and one you keep.

Only issue I foresee is that you might have to wait till the lease is done, which should coincide with the start/end of your contract.

• yolopopo
  • Waygookin

• June 01, 2018, 10:25:05 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 09:19:22 am »
The form you need is 거주/숙소제공 확인서 (Confirmation of Residence/Accommodation). It is on Hi Korea. I moved in with my SO and her details are on it as the landlord/provider.

It's really nothing to do with the school and all to do with immigration. If it states in your contract they offer a stipend and you request it, then they must provide it. Your new address will be on your ARC which you have to update within 14 days. That is the only proof needed by the school.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 09:21:25 am »
3. They want to verify how much the rent is, and will pay you accordingly.
They don't care how much the rent is, they give you a flat rate. At least in my province it's 400,000-won, it's been like that for well over 10 years. If you're paying less, you can pocket the difference. If you're paying more, you're on your own to cover the difference.

• yolopopo
  • Waygookin

• June 01, 2018, 10:25:05 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 09:31:02 am »
Sorry, I did not realise you couldn't write Korean on here. tried to attach it here. But basically, what Bigfish and Aristocrat said