Read 2744 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
The South Korean foreign minister versus the North Korean leader's sister in a news story today.

A sign of things to come.

Re: The next leaders of South Korea & North Korea are likely to be women
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 01:53:12 pm »
The leader of North Korea is going to be who it is at the moment, the Chinese Communist Party.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 02:04:12 pm »
It should shape up to be an epic battle, like Mothra versus Rodan.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 02:31:51 pm »
The leader of North Korea is going to be who it is at the moment, the Chinese Communist Party.
Ehh...I'd put NK more on the level of playing off China, SK, and the USA all against each other for maximum self-interest.

There certainly has to be a pro-China faction in NK. probably a pro-"Engagement and Globalization" faction as well. And in all likelihood, a "Hermit Kingdom" faction. We'll see who wins out if ol' Kim has kicked the bucket.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 02:41:54 pm »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 02:51:03 pm »
Some of these western women leaders seem to have been "chosen" for the job.  Not sure how tough they would be in a crises.  I mean a real global crises where nations were about to go to war or get into trade sanctions or something like that.  As long as the politics are all about feelings as of late, these young women leaders can be floated out I guess.  By Soros or whomever.  (Though in fairness, there are just as many weak men leaders like Trudeau and do nothing talk out of both sides of the mouth politicians who are men and are terrible.) 

A woman leader who earned it on her own and had to fight and do battle to get to where she is and even be unflinching in the event of a crises including a war, now there is where my respect goes.  Margaret Thatcher was one tough lady who was stronger than most men.  The poll tax was a flub up, but, along with Churchill was amongst the 20th centuries best leaders for the UK. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 02:54:40 pm »
As long as the politics are all about feelings as of late, these young women leaders can be floated out I guess.  By Soros or whomever. 

what do you mean by that?
more gg more skill

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 02:56:10 pm »

I want a deep dive into the mind of hangook77

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 03:01:01 pm »

Ardern and this leader and some others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanna_Marin

No way these folks got to where they are without help. 

Nothing wrong with a woman leader if they are strong. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_and_appointed_female_heads_of_state_and_government

But governing by feelings and political correctness and having to change the way you govern does not add credibility in the long run.  Most people only respect you if you win something on your own and fight for it rather than be put in there for being a pretty face or whatever (and I do include Trudeau in this too, even though he's a man). 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 03:03:47 pm »
No way these folks got to where they are without help. 
dont all politicians receive help?
more gg more skill

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 03:12:41 pm »
dont all politicians receive help?

Some far more than others.  Some who have no experience, are too young, have no clue what they are doing, and seem to come out of "no where" makes you scratch your head.  Love or hate Trump let it not be said he didn't work hard during his campaign and he didn't have to out there and win it.  He had to fight his own party and then the media and Clinton and many others.  Nothing handed to him.  He wasn't put up there as a "pretty face" politician with no substance or any ideas of their own unlike Trudeau, Ardern, and others. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 03:21:23 pm »
Some far more than others.  Some who have no experience, are too young, have no clue what they are doing, and seem to come out of "no where" makes you scratch your head.
doesnt really make me scratch my head in the age of the internet. no one comes out of nowhere
more gg more skill

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 06:57:46 pm »
Ehh...I'd put NK more on the level of playing off China, SK, and the USA all against each other for maximum self-interest.

There certainly has to be a pro-China faction in NK. probably a pro-"Engagement and Globalization" faction as well. And in all likelihood, a "Hermit Kingdom" faction. We'll see who wins out if ol' Kim has kicked the bucket.

Previously, I'd strongly suspected that the DPRK was essentially a glorified vasal state of China and Yeonmi Park (DPRK defector and activist) confirmed this when she basically said so herself. I'm paraphrasing, but she basically says that the DPRK relies 100% on China for it's oil and other essentials. Should China cease supply for a week, the entire regime would crumble. The DPRK's existence is convenient for China as it acts as a deterrent and inconvenience, in many ways, for China's threats (The US, SK and Japan), it's also China's only true ally.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 07:57:33 pm »
Previously, I'd strongly suspected that the DPRK was essentially a glorified vasal state of China and Yeonmi Park (DPRK defector and activist) confirmed this when she basically said so herself. I'm paraphrasing, but she basically says that the DPRK relies 100% on China for it's oil and other essentials. Should China cease supply for a week, the entire regime would crumble. The DPRK's existence is convenient for China as it acts as a deterrent and inconvenience, in many ways, for China's threats (The US, SK and Japan), it's also China's only true ally.
The source is not the most authoritative on the subject. We're talking the daughter of a mid-level bureaucrat and smuggler who escaped when she was 14, not some politically collected senior party or military official.

While it's certainly true that the North Korea relies on China for it's oil, that would be like saying Germany is a vassal state of Russia because they rely on Russia for their natural gas.

The DPRK, is not exactly a reliable ally or one that can be counted upon. It's more akin to a wolf you are holding: You don't like it, but you dare not let it go. Even if it doesn't bite you, it might cause some serious problems around town and it isn't really your friend or ally and it has its own plans.

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 08:25:18 pm »
The source is not the most authoritative on the subject. We're talking the daughter of a mid-level bureaucrat and smuggler who escaped when she was 14, not some politically collected senior party or military official.

While it's certainly true that the North Korea relies on China for it's oil, that would be like saying Germany is a vassal state of Russia because they rely on Russia for their natural gas.

The DPRK, is not exactly a reliable ally or one that can be counted upon. It's more akin to a wolf you are holding: You don't like it, but you dare not let it go. Even if it doesn't bite you, it might cause some serious problems around town and it isn't really your friend or ally and it has its own plans.

I wouldn't be so condescending. As someone who has lived in the DPRK and to an extent makes a living out of exposing the workings of the regime, I hope you take no offense when I say that she's a hell of a lot more of an authority on the subject than you or I. Regardless, she confirmed what I'd already suspected. Your analogy of Germany and Russia couldn't be more incorrect either. Germany has other alternatives for oil. The DPRK is sanctioned when it comes to oil, Germany isn't. The DPRK has no real means to get any significant amount of oil from anywhere else other than China.

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 07:46:35 am »
Whilst I'm not one to agree with the fabrications of Martin, isn't Yeonmi Park the lady who has a different story every time she tells it?

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 07:58:05 am »
Whilst I'm not one to agree with the fabrications of Martin, isn't Yeonmi Park the lady who has a different story every time she tells it?

First time I've heard about this, care to explain?

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 08:16:53 am »
Instead of writing a wall of text I will refer you to The diplomat (https://thediplomat.com/2014/12/the-strange-tale-of-yeonmi-park/)

But essentially there are a lot of inconsistencies in her story which seem to change depending on the audience she is telling it to.  Whether that is intentional or not I have no idea, I personally expect it is due to her young age when living in NK and hearing part stories from others that she believes to be true / to have happened to her.  The article suggests she's learnt more on her TV show than she had from living in NK.

"Park’s mother goes on to say, “So when Yeju started working for this program, I think she became more aware of the situation in North Korea.”

The host responds, “It sounds like Yeju learnt heaps on this program.”

And Park’s mother says, “She calls me before and after a show recording, asking me, ‘Am I really North Korean?’ She says she has no idea what the other girls on the show are talking about. She says she thinks everyone is lying on the show.”"

As I said, not agreeing with Martin's theories, just suggesting that she may not be the best source.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 08:24:06 am »
It's no coincidence the most popular North Korean defector is also the hottest. In her latest video and many others she's in tight clothing showing cleavage. She makes loads of money on Patreon. (Attractive women have a huge advantage; they get the red carpet treatment.) That said, she seems like a nice person. I think rather than just telling people what they want to hear "China is bad!" she's sincere in her speculation / assertion ... or maybe I'm just hypnotized by her beauty. But this  is wrong: 

I'm paraphrasing, but she basically says that the DPRK relies 100% on China for it's oil and other essentials. Should China cease supply for a week, the entire regime would crumble.

November was the second straight month China exported no diesel or gasoline to North Korea. 

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-trade-northkorea-idINKBN1EK0FB

North Korea also sources some of its oil from Russia.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 08:27:30 am »
It's no coincidence the most popular North Korean defector is also the hottest.
previously unsaid sentences in human history