Read 5163 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: Warning about Covid Vaccine.
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 06:08:26 pm »
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4072441

Chinese vaccines appear to be fake...... as usual.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 07:01:02 pm »
Ever read the side effects listed with any random basic medicine? I'm talking about over the counter stuff like pain killers, fever reducers and allergy medication.
There are usually dozens of possible side effects listed from mild: "insomnia" "fatique" "dizziness" etc. to more serious sounding things like "diarrhea" "fever" "headache" ... and towards the end you can often see some real scary shit like: "paralysis" "internal bleeding" and even "death".

... and the condition known as “hotdog finger”.

:)

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 10:03:29 am »
People are starting to suffer allergic reactions to the vaccine. This is the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/u-k-probing-if-allergic-reactions-linked-pfizer-vaccine-n1250536

After two health care workers in the U.K. suffered serious allergic reactions after receiving the new Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine this week, investigators are looking into whether the incidents were linked to the shots.

The Food and Drug Administration vaccine advisory panel is expected to address concerns about the allergic reactions when it meets Dec. 10 to consider whether to grant emergency use authorization to Pfizer for its vaccine, chief vaccine adviser for Operation Warp Speed Moncef Slaoui said Wednesday during a briefing.

The U.K.’s Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency warned that people who have a history of serious allergic reactions shouldn’t receive the new Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine as they investigate the two adverse reactions that occurred almost immediately after getting the shots.

The two people affected were staff members with the National Health Service and had a history of allergies. Both are recovering. Authorities have not specified what their reactions were.

During the Operation Warp Speed briefing, Slaoui indicated that the FDA's panel of vaccine experts may also advise people with known severe allergies to not take the vaccine "until we understand exactly what happened here."

There were no reported allergic reactions among the participants in the late-stage trials in the U.S., a Pfizer executive told NBC News Wednesday. About 44,000 people received the two doses of the vaccine during those trials.

In the meantime, the British warning is for anyone who has had a significant allergic reaction to a vaccine, medicine or food. That includes anyone who has been told to carry an adrenaline shot or others who have had potentially fatal allergic reactions.

“As is common with new vaccines the MHRA have advised on a precautionary basis that people with a significant history of allergic reactions do not receive this vaccination after two people with a history of significant allergic reactions responded adversely yesterday,” Professor Stephen Powis, medical director for the NHS in England, said in a statement. “Both are recovering well.”

The medical regulatory agency also said vaccinations should not be carried out in facilities that don’t have resuscitation equipment.

Pfizer and BioNTech said they were working with investigators “to better understand each case and its causes.″

“In the pivotal phase three clinical trial, this vaccine was generally well tolerated with no serious safety concerns reported by the independent Data Monitoring Committee,” the companies said.

Documents published by the two companies showed that people with a history of severe allergic reactions were excluded from the trials, and doctors were advised to look out for such reactions in trial participants who weren’t previously known to have severe allergies.

Even in non-emergency situations, health authorities must closely monitor new vaccines and medications because studies in tens of thousands of people can’t detect a rare risk that would affect 1 in 1 million.

Dr. Peter Openshaw, a professor of experimental medicine at Imperial College London, said there is a “very small” chance of an allergic reaction to any vaccine.

The MHRA last week gave emergency authorization to the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, making Britain the first country to allow its widespread use.

The U.K. began its mass vaccination program on Tuesday, offering the shot to people over 80, nursing home staff and some NHS workers. It’s not clear how many people have received the jab so far.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 10:06:50 am »
i thought that most vaccines shouldn't be taken if you have a history of allergies. this isn't really news, is it?

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 10:12:37 am »
i thought that most vaccines shouldn't be taken if you have a history of allergies. this isn't really news, is it?

It'll become a story because such a large percentage of people will take it. Many have no idea they have allergies. Many are in for a beating.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 11:44:02 am »
That.... actually makes sense.
I recently had my Hep vaccinations (my son was getting his vaccines, and I brought up the fact that I'm not sure which Hep I was immunized for, so they ran a test and apparently I don't have antibodies for any of them so...) and came down with a mild fever. Usually nothing to worry about, but of course they're taking everybody's temperature at school, and they totally freaked out when it came out that I was running a fever. I didn't want to take sick days (they'd probably make me stay home for the full 2 weeks, and that'd look bad on my renewal applications) so I had a heck of a time convincing them that it was just Hepititis, not Corona lol. Interestingly, I was vaccinated in the left arm for A, and the right for B, and noticed that my reaction to A was a lot stronger than for B.

Luckily, neither reaction nor fever was strong enough to warrant a .

Why would it count against you?  If we exibit any symptoms, we can "work from home".  It has no bearing on our attendance.  I had a cough from an allergy in September.  My teacher told me to stay home and she called all my other schools that week to arrange it.  It was not covid and was gone in a day or two.  But, I got a week off and I had to sign a special work from home form when I got back.  Didn't count against me. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 11:45:21 am »
Now that we've seen numbers skyrocket across Canada and Europe, will all those dipshit Euros, Cancucks, and Lefties who thought this had something to do with "leadership" or whatever other dumbass explanation they came up with admit they were wrong?

Turns out "leadership" doesn't mean nearly as much as people thought it did. People are going to people and people's lives and behaviors are far too common across the developed world for it to come down much to "leadership" outside of China-level measures or just flat-out ineptitude and doing diddly-poo.

Of course.  It's all Trump's fault somehow.  A virus spreads no matter who the leader is.  They just needed a narrative to give him bad press and try to make him lose. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 11:52:38 am »
Of course.  It's all Trump's fault somehow.  A virus spreads no matter who the leader is.  They just needed a narrative to give him bad press and try to make him lose.

And in the meanwhile Xi gets a free pass.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 11:58:08 am »
It'll become a story because such a large percentage of people will take it. Many have no idea they have allergies. Many are in for a beating.
if they don't realise you have allergies, they almost certainly aren't serious allergies, so they should be fine taking the vaccine

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 12:48:52 pm »

And in the meanwhile Xi gets a free pass.

Of course, the western media owned by 6 conglomerates wants to do business there.  So, investigative reporting isn't allowed.  Take everything the CCP says as gospel. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »
Anyways, I am not anti vax.  Just know potential side effects and be aware.  I took quite a few before I came here in 2005 and 2006ish.  (Twinrix Hep A and B, which they said was suppose to be good for 20 years.  Though I think Korea is a much cleaner country going into 2021 than it was nearly 15 to 20 years or so ago.)

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 01:36:17 pm »
Of course, the western media owned by 6 conglomerates wants to do business there.  So, investigative reporting isn't allowed.  Take everything the CCP says as gospel. 
Of course we should trust those news sources because.......brand name familiarity?

Like is there any objective reason that people offer?  People claim they are more rigorous and objective, but there is little evidence of that. In reality it's more "These brand names are familiar to me, and I don't want to face the fact that I might have been had over the past 10-20 years by these clowns." Same thing happened with fans of the Big Three in Detroit. People refused to admit they were mismanaged and churning out a crap product because of brand loyalty and identity. They refused to admit that those companies were driven by shareholders, not delivering the best product possible.

Are they completely worthless? No, but they shouldn't be given the deference that some give to them. Treat them as just another news outlet pushing an agenda on behalf of whatever shareholder/advertiser/management interest is motivating them.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2020, 03:36:02 am »
This is a half-billion dollar product.

And that is just in terms of local sales.

Consider everything you have learned about business, government and life accordingly.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2020, 07:27:55 am »
This is a half-billion dollar product.

And that is just in terms of local sales.

Consider everything you have learned about business, government and life accordingly.
go on...

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2020, 11:12:10 am »
Why would it count against you?  If we exibit any symptoms, we can "work from home".  It has no bearing on our attendance.  I had a cough from an allergy in September.  My teacher told me to stay home and she called all my other schools that week to arrange it.  It was not covid and was gone in a day or two.  But, I got a week off and I had to sign a special work from home form when I got back.  Didn't count against me. 

Because according to POE/MOE re-signing/transfer criteria, any number of sick days that we use over 3 will result in points taken. Don't quote me on the following, but I believe that the cutoff for getting a school transfer is 80/100, with renewal is a bit lower. Maybe 70/100?

Anyway, if your school is requesting that you stay home, chances are that they're not writing down your absence as "sick day" but rather as a "work from home day".
On the other hand, some schools are less flexible /overly strict and may end up giving you a lower renewal score.  :sad:

I just mentioned it because too many EPIK folk believe that sick days are like get out of jail cards. They're not: use them sparingly if you can!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2020, 11:17:02 am »
Because according to POE/MOE re-signing/transfer criteria, any number of sick days that we use over 3 will result in points taken. Don't quote me on the following, but I believe that the cutoff for getting a school transfer is 80/100, with renewal is a bit lower. Maybe 70/100?

Anyway, if your school is requesting that you stay home, chances are that they're not writing down your absence as "sick day" but rather as a "work from home day".
On the other hand, some schools are less flexible /overly strict and may end up giving you a lower renewal score.  :sad:

I just mentioned it because too many EPIK folk believe that sick days are like get out of jail cards. They're not: use them sparingly if you can!

It's not a sick day.  It's work from home.  I didn't ask to stay home.  The school ordered me to stay home.  That's on them and not on me as I was still willing to come to work.  I didn't sign out as absent on the attendance sheet.  Instead, they gave me a different form called "work from home" that I had to sign instead when I got back.  It is not suppose to count against you. 

Well, my experience anyways.  If it were counted as absent, I would have refused to stay home.  (I guess I just re read what you wrote.)  But, I do tend to assert myself politely sometimes (not rudely).  Some foreign teachers never stick stick up for themselves. 

I agree if someone abuses the absence, then they should get a kick in the rear.  I thought renewal criteria was 80% already.  My province perhaps.  But we do multiple schools and can ask the POE to transfer to other towns within the province quite easily.  Fortunately most teachers are happy with my games and activities and my fun spirit with the kids.  I can get pretty casual chatty with the VP and P at some schools (especially when they are women for some reason).  I haven't taken an actual sick day for a couple of years except the covid forced work at home.  If I miss a day or two, it is because I really don't feel well.  I have to feel really terrible, in fact. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 11:23:15 am by hangook77 »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2020, 12:36:29 pm »
It's not a sick day.  It's work from home.  I didn't ask to stay home.  The school ordered me to stay home.  That's on them and not on me as I was still willing to come to work.  I didn't sign out as absent on the attendance sheet.  Instead, they gave me a different form called "work from home" that I had to sign instead when I got back.  It is not suppose to count against you. Well, my experience anyways.  If it were counted as absent, I would have refused to stay home.  (I guess I just re read what you wrote.)  But, I do tend to assert myself politely sometimes (not rudely).  Some foreign teachers never stick stick up for themselves.
Right.
Like I said, it's up to one's school's discretion what they mark your day off as.
Some schools will not mark it down as anything (lucky!), others will mark it as a vacation day (okay, I guess), while soe will mark it down as a sick day (which might cause one problems down the line).
Clearly you have a decent school.
My point, though, was that NETs (not you in particular) should be *VERY* certain to inquire how their absence will be recorded in NIES. Less chance for unpleasant surprises down the line.

I thought renewal criteria was 80% already.  My province perhaps. But we do multiple schools and can ask the POE to transfer to other towns within the province quite easily.  Fortunately most teachers are happy with my games and activities and my fun spirit with the kids.  I can get pretty casual chatty with the VP and P at some schools (especially when they are women for some reason).  I haven't taken an actual sick day for a couple of years except the covid forced work at home.  If I miss a day or two, it is because I really don't feel well.  I have to feel really terrible, in fact. 
It might be 80%, I'm not entirely certain (which I think I pointed out). I do know, however, that the requirements for a transfer are actually higher than for just a renewal.

And yeah, getting along well with the admin is always good. I make a point of rolling into the office with snacks once every month or two.  Shameless bribery ftw! :smiley:
It has the additional benefit of priming the pump: usually after I do it, I only need to wait a ffew days before some other teacher, not to be outdone, comes in with their own goodies. Win-win-win!

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2020, 02:03:49 pm »

If the school likes you, they'll make sure you'll get above the cut-off line. In the end the evaluation scores mean very little. Funny, a certain lady in my area was bragging that she supposedly scored 100% on here evaluation. It doesn't matter, I'm still making whatever level I'm at.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2020, 02:27:29 pm »
Just once? I've done it like 4 times.*
I think a lot of us have.
Like you say, if the school likes you, then everything's hunky-dory, otherwise those scores will magically start to fall.
Nice to have official, meticulous, multi-variable criteria to qualify your vagueish feelings about a person, right?

* Would've been 5 years in a row, except I dropped a cup of hot coffee on the floor in front of the principal, and probably completely ruined a very expensive looking suit. That dropped me like 10 points right there, but luckily I smiled and said "annyeonghaseyo" in "very good Korean" the next day, so that was immediately 5 points in my favour.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2020, 03:19:24 pm »
those evaluations are a joke. is there even a criteria to be judged on? if there is, i've never been shown it. would probably be nice to know what you're judged on before the class, but i suppose that would be too much professionalism for public schools.

in my final public school year, the principal marked me down (he can't speak english) because i wrote too many words on the board, which would "confuse the students" (in his words). i had written something like 4 words, plus it was a high level class. oh, he marked me down for drinking water during class too (despite it being august and the principal refusing to let teachers turn on the AC at all)

what a waste of everyone's time.