Read 4220 times

Re: I would rather _______ than ______.
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2021, 09:19:07 am »
You're a cynical douche.

Let me repeat that....

You're a cynical douche.

Water off a duck's back, but you failed to explain why I'm wrong.

LI is correct too, 95% of the time they see you, they see a fool and his money.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:25:07 am by Aristocrat »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2021, 09:30:04 am »
Certain people going to visit the jungle natives (timestamp to 2:37 if it doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHj18FWcolE&t=158s

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2021, 12:16:16 pm »
Yeah it's interesting at first, being the first foreigner a native person (in a country) a person has ever seen...but mostly its horrific. 

Being stared at, being touched without your consent, being offered free shit because you are just another race/ethnicity/other than, being photographed, being watched anytime you are doing anything (even the most trivial of things) and having your anonymity and seemingly your rights erased just sucks after a while.   And if it doesn't suck for you, then you must need/crave attention.   

You're a lady and, going by your knowledge of fitness, I'm assuming in pretty good shape.

A fat, pasty, old, balding expat guy is probably going to experience being stared at and groped, particularly by members of the opposite sex, completely opposite to you.

This is all I can imagine when I read Liechtenstein and VanIslander describe themselves during their trips to rural villagers

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2021, 12:29:14 pm »
Ehhh...there's a mix. Yeah a lot of it is "fantasy in one's head" but also there is just genuine small town welcoming and trying to be friendly to visitors.

There's a fine line to walk but a lot of times it comes down to personal preference- this is stereotype, but midwesterners would probably find it uncomfortable while southerners would probably find it familiar (in some ways, not all). I mean we have our own small town folk back home and like here, some are warm and perhaps guilty of trying to roll out too much of a carpet but mean well. And others...

And there's also stuff the locals do that can be really off-putting or can have actual ill-intent and they see you as easy money. Combine that with the "Everyone was exultant in my radiant presence" mentality and well, you get some unreliable narrations.

It's a mixed bag out there, but it isn't all one thing or the other.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2021, 12:31:14 pm »
Ahh sorry Aristocrat this was aimed at LIC

You don't get it. It has nothing to do with me being something to them. It has everything to do with me being spiritually enhanced by the beauty of my fellow humans, the simplicity of life, the true and utter contentment with enough to get by,  the generosity and caring of complete strangers, the desire to share cultures and lives, the effort to try and get to know/understand something that is unique to you and them...

That is what it's about. You know, the exact opposite of the way most people treat strangers. Kinda like you and most others here apparently treat strangers. Exactly the opposite of how Koreans treat strangers.

You clearly do not understand. And for that, your life is lacking.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2021, 12:35:24 pm »
You're a lady and, going by your knowledge of fitness, I'm assuming in pretty good shape.

A fat, pasty, old, balding expat guy is probably going to experience being stared at and groped, particularly by members of the opposite sex, completely opposite to you.

This is all I can imagine when I read Liechtenstein and VanIslander describe themselves during their trips to rural villagers

If I cared, I'd feel sorry for you. It is nothing like that at all. Unless you have been here and traveled, you simply cannot understand. Expressing ridiculous comparisons as you have done is naught but humourous.

Come and visit. Let's go on a trip. You think Disneyland is magical? wait until you experience the real thing.

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2021, 12:41:35 pm »
You don't get it. It has nothing to do with me being something to them. It has everything to do with me being spiritually enhanced by the beauty of my fellow humans, the simplicity of life, the true and utter contentment with enough to get by,  the generosity and caring of complete strangers, the desire to share cultures and lives, the effort to try and get to know/understand something that is unique to you and them...

That is what it's about. You know, the exact opposite of the way most people treat strangers. Kinda like you and most others here apparently treat strangers. Exactly the opposite of how Koreans treat strangers.

You clearly do not understand. And for that, your life is lacking.

Like the rest of us, you also log into this forum almost on a daily basis to get into stupid arguments with people you've never met about pointless crap.

Remember that before you post some sanctimonious, 'Eat Pray Love' drivel about being more "spiritually enhanced" than us.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2021, 02:07:35 pm »
Like the rest of us, you also log into this forum almost on a daily basis to get into stupid arguments with people you've never met about pointless crap.

Remember that before you post some sanctimonious, 'Eat Pray Love' drivel about being more "spiritually enhanced" than us.

Listen, doorknob, just because you can't appreciate an adventure well off the beaten path, experiencing things very few if any have ever experienced, don't shit on the cornflakes of those that can and do. You just sound petty, jealous and childish.

Stay in the city if you are afraid of the great outdoors.

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2021, 02:52:22 pm »
Listen, doorknob, just because you can't appreciate an adventure well off the beaten path, experiencing things very few if any have ever experienced, don't shit on the cornflakes of those that can and do. You just sound petty, jealous and childish.

Stay in the city if you are afraid of the great outdoors.

Mate, I'm aware that you count your little cruise through a rural village, on a lawnmower like Forest Gump, as an adventure.
I do not.

One of the greatest things about coming to South Korea was that, as a guy in his early 20s, I could blow money on surf trips I've been dreaming about since childhood, which I did. I travelled to Grajagan/G-Land (East Java), California, The Mentawais, Bali and Japan to surf breaks that could kill a grown man and I have the scars to prove it. I also spent my entire youth doing road trips up both the east and west coast of SA and growing up on the hard waves of Cape Town. My mates and I literally spent hours and days following word of mouth and hand drawn map directions to find secret surf spots in the middle of nowhere and getting chased by angry f*cking baboons.

I do/did all this and can still call myself a city-boy with a kick-ass skin routine.

As I said in my original comment, I refuse to demean the word 'adventure' by describing your cute little family-friendly trip to a village as something that won't even get my heart beating above resting rate.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:54:11 pm by Aristocrat »

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2021, 03:00:17 pm »
Adventure can be subjective. It can mean something pulse-pounding, but it could also mean a slow-boil trip to go find some sort of craft spot and spending a few weeks learning traditional pottery or working on some rural farm and trying to get a good crop that season. Not evrything has to be DANGER to be an adventure.

I mean, some people consider skydiving or bungee jumping an adventure and I just don't get it. At least something like Aristocrat said with real risk and danger OR a slow-boil rewarding thing like I described.

As for busing or biking through a small village, yeah probably more of a trip than an adventure unless something was risked or some sort of goal at risk of failure was accomplished.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2021, 03:27:05 pm »
Nah, hopping on a motorbike in rural part of a second world country and just headed out and seeing where the roads take you is definitely an adventure.  I can attest that cruising through somewhere in central Thailand is far different than down in Phuket or Samui.  But, someone who is a first time visitor there could absolutely feel adventurous doing that in those places.  If you're doing something you've never done before it's an adventure.  What it means to someone else means jacksh*t.  Get someone who just arrived in Korea who has headed down to Seoul Station and just bought a ticket to the next train and has nothing but some money and a weekend.  They're off for an adventure.  In fact, I envy people that can still feel that sense of adventure in Korea.  It's been years but I can still remember the sense of excitement and anxiety when hopping on a bus with zero language skills and a Lonely Planet book.  Adventure is totally relative and personal. 

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2021, 03:42:19 pm »
Adventure can be subjective. It can mean something pulse-pounding, but it could also mean a slow-boil trip to go find some sort of craft spot and spending a few weeks learning traditional pottery or working on some rural farm and trying to get a good crop that season. Not evrything has to be DANGER to be an adventure.

Just my opinion.

All adventures are experiences, but not all experiences are adventures.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other either. If I'm taking a trip to Hakone for a onsen experience, I'm not looking to get chased by marauders before I get there, with an Indiana Jones track being played in the background.
Generally speaking, you have your adventures in your youth because you're equal parts testosterone, bravado and stupidity and these things blind you to very real risk and danger. Furthermore, you don't plan adventures, they just happen and they DO require a healthy amount of risk and danger. Tourists package love marketing 'Phuket Adventure' to rich tourists eager to brag to their friends about their 'wild side' when they get back to the conference room back home.

I'm not looking for adventures anymore as I've got responsibilities that require me to be in one piece to fulfill.

What Liechtenstein did sounds like an enjoyable experience, but it's no adventure.
Anyways, that wasn't my original issue, which is that he likes being fawned over by villagers and hey, if that's his bag and he's not hurting anyone than he has my blessing. I don't buy that malarkey about "spiritual experience" or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:43:57 pm by Aristocrat »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2021, 05:02:29 pm »
Just my opinion.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other either. If I'm taking a trip to Hakone for a onsen experience, I'm not looking to get chased by marauders before I get there, with an Indiana Jones track being played in the background.
Generally speaking, you have your adventures in your youth because you're equal parts testosterone, bravado and stupidity and these things blind you to very real risk and danger. Furthermore, you don't plan adventures, they just happen and they DO require a healthy amount of risk and danger. Tourists package love marketing 'Phuket Adventure' to rich tourists eager to brag to their friends about their 'wild side' when they get back to the conference room back home.

I'm not looking for adventures anymore as I've got responsibilities that require me to be in one piece to fulfill.

What Liechtenstein did sounds like an enjoyable experience, but it's no adventure.
Anyways, that wasn't my original issue, which is that he likes being fawned over by villagers and hey, if that's his bag and he's not hurting anyone than he has my blessing. I don't buy that malarkey about "spiritual experience" or whatever.

You're a rockstar Aristocrat. Not a particularly bright one, but you're from South Africa so that makes sense.

An adventure to me is unexpected fun and that could be something as simple as discovering a new author and being drawn into his or her novel for a thrilling read. Of course, I could fall out of my La Z Boy chair and scrape my knee on the fake grass in my man cave. So, there is definitely danger involved. Or the potential thereof.

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2021, 05:38:06 pm »
You're a rockstar Aristocrat. Not a particularly bright one, but you're from South Africa so that makes sense.

An adventure to me is unexpected fun and that could be something as simple as discovering a new author and being drawn into his or her novel for a thrilling read. Of course, I could fall out of my La Z Boy chair and scrape my knee on the fake grass in my man cave. So, there is definitely danger involved. Or the potential thereof.

Dude, with your logic flossing is an adventure.

The fact that I call your "adventures" nothing more than a little jaunt shouldn't be enough to ruin the experience. An experience isn't worse than an adventure, but stretching the definitions of adventure and/or romanticising the seemingly mundane is something only yuppie tourists do.

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2021, 10:58:37 am »
Just my opinion.

Well like I said, I agree there has to be some kind of risk- the risk of failure or it not working or whatever. And I mean serious risk. Like if you spent 3 weeks in the back woods of Peru seeking out some reclusive teacher to learn indigenous pottery and he tries to teach you but you couldn't get it, that's a fair risk. Or set off to find a crashed WWII airplane in Burma and couldn't find it after 2 weeks, still an adventure. Or even just being in your garage and building some homebuilt racer from scratch that might not even work, would be an adventure. Even if you weren't in physical danger there was still significant risk-reward.

But yeah, stopping off for a day in some small town in Gangwondo is not an adventure.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2021, 11:16:48 am »
But yeah, stopping off for a day in some small town in Gangwondo is not an adventure.

Sure, it is if the conditions are right.  I can't believe I'm even participating in a conversation as idiotic as this, but it is not up to anyone else to decide if someone's outing was considered adventurous by them, or not.  How do you even argue that in good faith?  Let's say a person who had never left their small town in Canada takes a job in Asia and lands in Seoul.  After the first week they have a five day Chuseok weekend and they say eff it, I'm getting out of the city.  They just hop on a bus that is going to a place called Gangwon and figure they'll just go by the seat of their pants and Seoul will always be an easy place to make it back to.  Of course, that's an adventure.  You don't need to be doing something unique to everyone, just something new and unknown to you.  There doesn't need to be any risk or peril where you're physically in danger.  The risk could be you sleep in a roadside bus shelter because you got lost.  Trying to claim cruising around Northern Thailand on a motorbike is not an adventure is just sour grapes from waygook's King of Disdain for all things not him, Aristocrat.  As for Marti, par for the course idiocy there.  Everything Aristocrat listed on his surf adventures were things other people do as routine. So, does that mean Aristocrat can't count them as adventures.  According to him and Marti, no, he can't.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2021, 11:38:16 am »
getting to the everest base camp would probably be an adventure for me. it's routine for others. it's all relative innit?
more gg more skill

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2021, 11:55:20 am »
Sure, it is if the conditions are right.  I can't believe I'm even participating in a conversation as idiotic as this, but it is not up to anyone else to decide if someone's outing was considered adventurous by them, or not.  How do you even argue that in good faith?  Let's say a person who had never left their small town in Canada takes a job in Asia and lands in Seoul.  After the first week they have a five day Chuseok weekend and they say eff it, I'm getting out of the city.  They just hop on a bus that is going to a place called Gangwon and figure they'll just go by the seat of their pants and Seoul will always be an easy place to make it back to.  Of course, that's an adventure.  You don't need to be doing something unique to everyone, just something new and unknown to you.  There doesn't need to be any risk or peril where you're physically in danger.  The risk could be you sleep in a roadside bus shelter because you got lost.  Trying to claim cruising around Northern Thailand on a motorbike is not an adventure is just sour grapes from waygook's King of Disdain for all things not him, Aristocrat.  As for Marti, par for the course idiocy there.  Everything Aristocrat listed on his surf adventures were things other people do as routine. So, does that mean Aristocrat can't count them as adventures.  According to him and Marti, no, he can't.

You don't understand.

Surfing is, by definition, an extreme sport. Regardless, I agree and do not count surfing as an adventure. Thing is, travel is a critical component to surfing as almost every surfer will travel to different spots at least once a week. I estimate I've surfed around 200 different breaks in South Africa alone. Many of this spots are hidden/secret, in the middle of nowhere and hours away from civilisation.

The discussion came from Liechtenstein's assumption that I was afraid of the outdoors simply because I didn't get all teary-eyed at that Eat Pray Love monologue he spewed about spirits and faeries... whatever, he encounters while riding through villages on a bike. 

I agreed that people will define adventures differently, which means I'm entitled to my opinion as you are entitled to yours.

What I struggle to comprehend is why you and your friend are trying so hard to change my mind. Is it that important that I identify the two of you as Livin' La Vida Loca? Well, if it's that important to you then here, you did a thing.

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2021, 01:13:23 pm »
As for Marti, par for the course idiocy there.  Everything Aristocrat listed on his surf adventures were things other people do as routine. So, does that mean Aristocrat can't count them as adventures.  According to him and Marti, no, he can't.
Uhm, I said that different things could qualify as adventures, including those that didn't involve physical danger. However, there still had to be some element of risk- be it financial/to reputation/significant loss of time and energy expended/etc. This means that to novices it can be an adventure, but not to experts.

But yes, just stumbling off the bus with your buddies in a magkeolli haze to go hike up RandomBF-san and eating hongeoh with some random hiking ajeosshi at the top is not an adventure.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2021, 02:36:49 pm »

OnNut81 gets it.

As an aside, I've been held hostage at gunpoint in Venezuela, escaped when the soldiers were getting too relaxed, ran through the jungle to a resort and called the Canadian Embassy. The Charge d'Affaires came to our rescue, there were 12 of us being squeezed for money, and gave us an escort to the airport where he waited till the plane took off.

Does that pass the Aristocrat test? Admittedly, it ain't surfing but there was a teensy weensy bit of danger. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's had a gun pointed at them in anger.