Read 20026 times

Answers to burning questions we have about Korea
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:18:57 am »
Post a question or quote a person's post with any answer you might have.

Question
Why do so many cars have heavily tinted windows? Do they think it'll prevent the skin from darkening?

Question
Why do schools open for 2 weeks in early February? I've asked and never got a universal/straight answer. A few changes to the system and some proper scheduling could easily manage an uninterrupted holiday period.

Question
Why do people spit? I've heard numerous reasons (it helps prevent cancer while smoking etc.) but never one universal theory. I'm guessing nobody really knows and Korean teenagers simply do it to emulate adults.

Question
Why does every school need a principal and vice principal? One of my elementary schools has a total of 40 students and I've heard of ones with fewer. Do we really need a VP and principal to run such a small school?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:29:33 am by Aristocrat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Answers to burning questions we have about Korea
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:29:19 am »
why do the old people here ALWAYS push you in the back to get off the subway when EVERYONE IS ALREADY getting off, only to then potter slowly to the escalator and stand still? what's gooing on there?

why do old korean men always seem to gravitate into my path when the pavement is 100% empty, only to then look offended when they get slightly shoulder checked?

if i go to the park for the afternoon, why does a family always seem to set up camp RIGHT NEXT TO me, despite the whole area being empty?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 11:33:02 am »
why do the old people here ALWAYS push you in the back to get off the subway when EVERYONE IS ALREADY getting off, only to then potter slowly to the escalator and stand still? what's gooing on there?

why do old korean men always seem to gravitate into my path when the pavement is 100% empty, only to then look offended when they get slightly shoulder checked?

if i go to the park for the afternoon, why does a family always seem to set up camp RIGHT NEXT TO me, despite the whole area being empty?

In B4

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 11:40:54 am »
Question
Why do people spit? I've heard numerous reasons (it helps prevent cancer while smoking etc.) but never one universal theory. I'm guessing nobody really knows and Korean teenagers simply do it to emulate adults.
I can't answer the other two, though the implication that stupidity is the cause of the second is probably not the answer.

As for spitting, have you ever smoked? Inhaled a giant breath of fresh cow dung? Some other foul taste? Quite simply your body's reflex is to spit out something it perceives as toxic. In this case, it's perception is straight on.

Also, one's mouth may produce excess saliva when smoking. That saliva can go one of two places- A) Down your esophagus, which would mean the ingestion of said toxins or B) Expectoration of the saliva and toxins.

Most of the complaints I see about spitting are more about their own personal disgust rather than any rational standard. These same people who bitch and moan about spitting have no problem with people walking their dog and having it piss and shit everywhere. This is before we get to the question of whether anyone thought a street was clean to begin with. Nevermind pigeon shit, vehicle fluids, shit on the bottom of one's shoe, rotting fruit from gingkos, and 1000 other things. And as a vector for disease? Yeah it's clearly why Korea has one of the worst disease problems right now and the West is fine.

I always said the various claims about Korea and disease were massively overblown. Well, we've gotten to see the results. If various Korean practices were indeed as dangerous as people claimed and various western etiquette practices were as effective as people claimed, then we should have seen completely different results over the last 11 months. At the time I was mocked. Well, the results are in. Things people claimed would result in massive spreads, turned out not to be the case and the efficacy of flimsily covering your mouth or not spitting hasn't been borne out.

But of course, I should shut up and not speak up in threads or disagree because I'm just reflexively disagreeing. Not pointing out holes in flawed claims.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 11:47:06 am »
I think it would be good if while asking these questions, people attempt to legitimately come up with a non-insulting explanation as part of their question. You might be able to answer your own question!

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 11:52:14 am »

1) Probably from earlier times with different conditions where people would be crammed into trains or other vehicles. When we get old we'll probably do some irking things too.

2) Old people have decreased coordination in general. And yes, can be ornery and rude.

3) Probably think you're the start of the designated camping space and take the next spot in the row. That and they don't consider it some invasion of space.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 11:55:24 am »
Why do teachers whom I've never talked to before come into the office and ask me where the teachers are? Yes, Ms Jeong, sits across from me in this office.

(This was all in Korean)

:-* Where is Jeong teacher.

:police: She's usually in the English room.

2 mins later

:-* She's not there. Where is she?

:police: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

:-* I'm on the second floor [office is on the third]  and I need her to sign this paper.

:police: Well, okay, but I don't know where she is. Sorry.

:-* UGH. *walks away*

Like, does she think I keep track on where everyone is? I got shit to do.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 12:00:36 pm »
1) Probably from earlier times with different conditions where people would be crammed into trains or other vehicles. When we get old we'll probably do some irking things too.

2) Old people have decreased coordination in general. And yes, can be ornery and rude.

3) Probably think you're the start of the designated camping space and take the next spot in the row. That and they don't consider it some invasion of space.
number 1 makes sense, but still insanely irritating

number2 - definitely not a lack of coordination. just rudeless or trying to show how....macho they are?

you're probably right about number 3. i guess i dont go camping here really, but, yeah, they do all camp next to each other. however, these families always have kids loud running around. i also think they lack common sense

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 12:04:02 pm »
I can't answer the other two, though the implication that stupidity is the cause of the second is probably not the answer.

As for spitting, have you ever smoked? Inhaled a giant breath of fresh cow dung? Some other foul taste? Quite simply your body's reflex is to spit out something it perceives as toxic. In this case, it's perception is straight on.

Also, one's mouth may produce excess saliva when smoking. That saliva can go one of two places- A) Down your esophagus, which would mean the ingestion of said toxins or B) Expectoration of the saliva and toxins.

From the age of 15 to 25 as did many of my friends. Before I quit, I smoked up to a full packet of 20s a day (Stuyvesant or Camel filter). Never did I feel the need to spit. Only one of my friends felt the need to spit and he only did so, while smoking, never while not smoking. This is why I've always found the smoking theory to be complete BS; you see guys hocking back what sounds like their entire spleen and hocking it up, in the street and with no cigarette in hand.

"Toxins"? Once you've inhaled the smoke into your lungs, the ship's already sailed. Spitting isn't going to do a damn thing to prevent anything.

You have smokers all over the world. Why is it that mainly Korean and Chinese smokers are the ones spitting?

Most of the complaints I see about spitting are more about their own personal disgust rather than any rational standard. These same people who bitch and moan about spitting have no problem with people walking their dog and having it piss and shit everywhere.

I find that disgusting too, but that still doesn't explain the spitting. Thanks for your input though.

[/quote]

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 12:04:59 pm »
Why do people try to get onto a full subway train before anyone has had a chance to get off?

Why do people rush into an elevator before people can get out?

BTW, this is not limited to Korea, happened to me in China too.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 12:05:16 pm »
why do they tell you how expensive air con and heat are, then leave the door open when you have it on? I understand the kids not closing doors, but the adults??

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 12:12:30 pm »
why does cool messenger show me ads?
more gg more skill

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 01:59:41 pm »
Why can I no longer get hard shell tacos in Korea (Old El Paso)????  I used to be able to order them all the time online a couple years back.  I love me some tacos!  :cry:

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 02:22:33 pm »
From the age of 15 to 25 as did many of my friends. Before I quit, I smoked up to a full packet of 20s a day (Stuyvesant or Camel filter). Never did I feel the need to spit. Only one of my friends felt the need to spit and he only did so, while smoking, never while not smoking.
Well, as is the case with many things, some people have different reactions to chemical substances. I imagine some people react differently for biological reasons.

This is why I've always found the smoking theory to be complete BS; you see guys hocking back what sounds like their entire spleen and hocking it up, in the street and with no cigarette in hand.
They might have finished. Maybe they got a whiff of something else. Maybe they like spitting. I don't know. i"m sure there's a bunch of different reasons.

Toxins"? Once you've inhaled the smoke into your lungs, the ship's already sailed. Spitting isn't going to do a damn thing to prevent anything.
I didn't say it was effective, just reflexive.

number2 - definitely not a lack of coordination. just rudeless or trying to show how....macho they are?
Depends on the old people. The more spry 50-70 year olds, probably. Above 70 and the shuffling kind, I think age is a valid reason.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 02:27:55 pm »
Why can I no longer get hard shell tacos in Korea (Old El Paso)????  I used to be able to order them all the time online a couple years back.  I love me some tacos!  :cry:

Because you’re the only one who likes them  :P

They’re structurally unsound, and even if you manage to get them to hold up, any deviation from holding them parallel and they’ll leak all the meat and sauce juices that have sunk to the bottom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Korea, why don’t you love me? Will I ever be enough for you?

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 02:42:11 pm »
I can not believe I'm the only one who likes hard tacos......

Don Hobak grrrrrrrrr

Also the last line in your post....Meant for me? 
Go suck it you hobgoblin!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:34:50 pm by dippedinblush »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 11:40:58 pm »
...I've asked and never got a universal/straight answer. ...

The reason for THAT is an aversion to saying, “I don’t know,” which leads to people making up stuff. When those authority do it, it is accepted and propagated as true.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 05:31:09 am »
I can not believe I'm the only one who likes hard tacos......

Don Hobak grrrrrrrrr

Also the last line in your post....Meant for me? 
Go suck it you hobgoblin!

https://m.coupang.com/nm/search?q=Taco+shell

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 07:21:42 am »
Never saw a hard-shell taco in Mexico.

It must be an American thing. Like Chinese fortune cookies.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 07:47:48 am »

Like Chinese fortune cookies.
They have those in Incheon Chinatown. I bought a couple and then realised that they'd be in Korean. They were. hahaha, lucky for me I had my Kor buddy, who came with me, translate it.