Read 20097 times

Re: Answers to burning questions we have about Korea
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2020, 02:33:25 pm »
I'd like to hear more about this. The adventures of DMart.
You know it's true. Sex Ed these days is one big clusterf*ck of denial and outsourcing of responsibility.

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2020, 03:12:11 pm »
You know it's true. Sex Ed these days is one big clusterf*ck of denial and outsourcing of responsibility.

I was more interested in hearing the details of the time you talked sex at a PTA meeting

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2020, 05:34:54 pm »
I was more interested in hearing the details of the time you talked sex at a PTA meeting
Huh? I was talking about a hypothetical.

How do you think it would go down if anyone tried for a moment to be realistic and say how things really are? Parents have a great track record there? Any sign that they aren't completely in denial?

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2020, 06:31:28 pm »
Huh? I was talking about a hypothetical.

How do you think it would go down if anyone tried for a moment to be realistic and say how things really are? Parents have a great track record there? Any sign that they aren't completely in denial?

I misunderstood. It was an oddly specific example. And you spoke with such authority. I just thought you were speaking from personal experience. It would be a good story, I'm sure. You should try it and get back to this thread with the details. No doubt it would be very entertaining.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2020, 08:12:50 am »
This isn't Korea specific, I have observed this in all the countries I have been to in Asia. Why do people stand at the entrance to an escalator/stairs and answer a message on their phones blocking access to said places?
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2020, 11:24:44 am »

This is true not just for students but also with us foreign teachers, unfortunately.

I went to one of the universities in my area for one of those sexual harassment seminars (for moral support: a friend of mine was doing a demonstration presentation).
The idea is that these seminars run for about 40-45 minutes with the remaining 15 taken up by Q&As, and everybody leaves together for some chimaek afterwards and calls it a tuesday night.

BUT... whenever these kind of seminars happen, there are always 4 or 5 teachers (usually male and somewhat older) who get offended by the idea that others may not hold them in the super high esteem that they clearly hold themselves. They go on and on and on and on about clarifications on what does and does not count as harrasment, to the point where their hypothetical situations sound a lot like the crap we sometimes see here on waygook. I'm talking about L'Hom Strom levels of strawmen here.

Anyway, the presenters (almost always reasonably young women) get completely derailed explaining stupid minutiae to a bunch of belligerent good ol' boys for half an hour while every other person in the room stares off into the distance wishing that they would just shut up already so the meeting could finish.

So, yeah, lots of denial and outsourcing of responsibility at SexHarEd as well.  :rolleyes:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2020, 12:22:54 pm »
Obligatory "Remember this? WTH were they thinking?"

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=95753.20
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2020, 12:31:26 pm »

What the **** is this.

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2020, 02:46:29 pm »
I misunderstood. It was an oddly specific example. And you spoke with such authority. I just thought you were speaking from personal experience. It would be a good story, I'm sure. You should try it and get back to this thread with the details. No doubt it would be very entertaining.
Ever attend a PTA/school board meeting? Oh my goodness the level of delusion and irrationality is off the charts, both from the school and the administration and from parents.

Anyways, sex ed is about as effective as DARE. Yes, there can be some marginal benefit, but the reason drugs fall into or out of fashion (or activities like smoking/drinking and driving) is because of peers, media, and other factors to a much greater extent. I guess if you want to count a 30 second ad on TV as "sex ed" then you can say it is effective, because those ads on TV about condoms or drinking and driving or smoking are way more effective than some class that kids are just trying to sit through as some adult lectures them yet again on what and what not to do.

Believing sex ed is effective means believing DARE is effective at preventing kids from smoking that evil Mari-Ju-ana, the gateway drug that will make them shoot themselves or be homeless.

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2020, 02:52:29 pm »
Ever attend a PTA/school board meeting? Oh my goodness the level of delusion and irrationality is off the charts, both from the school and the administration and from parents.

Anyways, sex ed is about as effective as DARE. Yes, there can be some marginal benefit, but the reason drugs fall into or out of fashion (or activities like smoking/drinking and driving) is because of peers, media, and other factors to a much greater extent. I guess if you want to count a 30 second ad on TV as "sex ed" then you can say it is effective, because those ads on TV about condoms or drinking and driving or smoking are way more effective than some class that kids are just trying to sit through as some adult lectures them yet again on what and what not to do.

Believing sex ed is effective means believing DARE is effective at preventing kids from smoking that evil Mari-Ju-ana, the gateway drug that will make them shoot themselves or be homeless.

Have you? I want to hear more about these meetings. Set the scene for us.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2020, 03:23:27 pm »

I'm not certain how to consider your arguments because you haven't told us what you mean by "effective".

Effective at reducing teenage incidences of sex? At reducing transmission of STIs? Reducing unwanted pregnancies among teenagers? Not looking like a total noob the first time you get it on? What?

There's a lot of hard data on this general topic and I'm more than eager to sprinkle it all over this thread like confetti at a shotgun wedding, but you gotta tell me what data you're looking for (or not looking for, possibly)!
 :smiley:

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2020, 03:26:27 pm »
There's a lot of hard data on this general topic and I'm more than eager to sprinkle it all over this thread like confetti at a shotgun wedding, but you gotta tell me what data you're looking for (or not looking for, possibly)!
 :smiley:

Pun excused  :rolleyes:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2020, 03:26:45 pm »
There's a lot of hard data on this general topic and I'm more than eager to sprinkle it all over this thread like confetti at a shotgun wedding, but you gotta tell me what data you're looking for

Marty has soft data, but it becomes hard when you provoke him.

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2020, 03:27:42 pm »
Marty has soft data, but it becomes hard when you provoke him.

No pun to see here   :lipsrsealed:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2020, 03:28:39 pm »
No pun to see here

*See here, no fun!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2020, 03:32:32 pm »

knew it was gonna be this thread! ha

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2020, 07:08:15 pm »
Have you? I want to hear more about these meetings. Set the scene for us.
My mom was a public school teacher back home. They would hold many of these meetings in the school library. My mom would sometimes be there in attendance, other times doing work while those meetings were going on. I'd catch the bus to her work from ages 6-12. Even at that young age, as I played Pax Imperia or whatever on the old Macs there, I knew what these people were saying was a load of shit. What they thought us kids thought and what we actually thought were light years apart.

Just look at parents everywhere. A massive collection of naivety and denial.

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2020, 07:27:54 pm »
Just look at parents everywhere. A massive collection of naivety and denial.
:blank:

Might be true, but only in societies where “parenting” is the dominant form of child-rearing.

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2020, 01:13:00 am »
This isn't Korea specific, I have observed this in all the countries I have been to in Asia. Why do people stand at the entrance to an escalator/stairs and answer a message on their phones blocking access to said places?

Funny you should ask that. I've also noticed this behavior in multiple asian countries as well....but each time the guilty party was a Korean/Koreans. No joke.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2020, 07:46:30 am »
What they thought us kids thought and what we actually thought were light years apart.

I mean yeah, that's always going to be the case. Especially when you consider that recent generations grew up with the internet while our older relatives didn't