Read 20095 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Answers to burning questions we have about Korea
« Reply #300 on: January 06, 2021, 01:26:09 pm »
Why do people back their cars into spots at E-Mart and places when they are shopping for groceries?

A) It's easier to drive into a tight space

B) It's easier to back out into an open space

C) You have to back up once anyway

D) When you drive in you have to back out and then spend time loading all your groceries into your trunk thus blocking cars for some time and generally causing havoc

YES. THIS 100%. For real.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2021, 01:28:31 pm »
Why do people back their cars into spots at E-Mart and places when they are shopping for groceries?

D) When you drive in you have to back out and then spend time loading all your groceries into your trunk thus blocking cars for some time and generally causing havoc
Reverse parking is safer.  It's true that you have to back up once anyway, but  rear-in parking means you are backing into a known area that is clear of traffic.  Leaving the space out into traffic head first gives you the obvious safely advantage of good sight lines.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2021, 01:32:45 pm »
I was confused for a bit too, but then realised that Liechtenstein must be asking the question rhetorically, and then is listing all the reasons why backing in is better.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2021, 01:38:32 pm »

What, are you *trying* to get us in trouble?
Mixing "비닐 봉투" with "일반 쓰레기"?????

Sue-Lay-Gee Bong-Too Jew-Say-Yo

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2021, 02:27:01 pm »
I reverse park 100X out of 100.

Makes life easier when leaving. I can still access my boot when loading shopping...and it's just more logical.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2021, 02:36:04 pm »
We are talking about Korean drivers here, right? Not the most talented folks I've witnessed behind the wheel.

« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2021, 02:43:39 pm »

Actually it is safer to back in. When backing in, pedestrians or vehicles that are moving won't be in your blind spot.

https://www.thejournal.ie/reverse-into-parking-spaces-3906360-Mar2018/

No less an authority than one of the Car Talk guys endorses backing in:
https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces
“While your car's butt is sticking out into traffic, you can't see if there are cars coming, because your view is blocked by the passenger compartments of the cars or SUVs parked next to you.”

I do agree it's dumb if the place doesn't have proper space for the shopping carts to go behind the cars. Many do, but then again, many don't.

Anyways, this can easily be explained with a simple google search. Next don't assume the locals are dumb just because they do something different. Maybe YOU are the one who is doing something dumb.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 02:46:02 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2021, 05:00:56 pm »
I don't believe it's safer to back in. Done. I don't care what other people think on the subject. It's inarguable that having to pull out and then stop and load up the groceries blocks vehicle movement. That may not be dumb per se, but it is sure as heck ignorant.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2021, 05:10:10 pm »

It is what is taught.

Most Koreans take formal driving courses as opposed to learning from their mum or dad.

Backing in is safer, according to the many corporate safety courses I have taken. There is a much lower risk of something entering your path backing in compared to out, and your sight-lines are better driving out (where there are more risks).

« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2021, 06:45:13 pm »
I don't believe it's safer to back in. Done. I don't care what other people think on the subject. It's inarguable that having to pull out and then stop and load up the groceries blocks vehicle movement. That may not be dumb per se, but it is sure as heck ignorant.

As opposed to your person and trolley being behind your car and potentially obstructing traffic, particularly if you're in a covered parking structure with lanes barely wide enough for a single car to drive through?
At least at all the supermarkets I've been to, I've always had ample room to load my groceries into the boot, there's a bit of a lane between parking rows.

The perceptive among us would have noticed that humans have eyes in front of their heads. The most dangerous part of the process is pulling out of a parking space with your sight lines potentially obstructed on
either side by parked cars. Add performing the manoeuvre while looking over your shoulder and it becomes more dangerous.

On a related note, it seems the ridiculous belief that you shouldn't reverse into a parking space when you exhaust will be facing vegetation (as it harms the plants) is dying out.   

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2021, 06:55:12 pm »
As opposed to your person and trolley being behind your car and potentially obstructing traffic, particularly if you're in a covered parking structure with lanes barely wide enough for a single car to drive through?
At least at all the supermarkets I've been to, I've always had ample room to load my groceries into the boot, there's a bit of a lane between parking rows.

The perceptive among us would have noticed that humans have eyes in front of their heads. The most dangerous part of the process is pulling out of a parking space with your sight lines potentially obstructed on
either side by parked cars. Add performing the manoeuvre while looking over your shoulder and it becomes more dangerous.

On a related note, it seems the ridiculous belief that you shouldn't reverse into a parking space when you exhaust will be facing vegetation (as it harms the plants) is dying out.   

Plants love CO2!
It is good for them.

« Reply #311 on: January 06, 2021, 07:29:45 pm »
Plants love CO2!
It is good for them.
CO2 finally getting some love in this forum!

But what do the plants think of CO4?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:34:33 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #312 on: January 06, 2021, 08:03:44 pm »
It isn't only about safety. It's just easier. Simple physics. If you don't understand why is it easier to reverse park, then you aren't such a great driver as you think.

Korea not only has very narrow parking bays, but the distance between the rows is also narrow. This makes front parking more difficult and reverse parking easier.
You say there is backing up involved in both cases so essentially there is no difference. But you are wrong. The two reversings aren't the same.
When you reverse park, the front wheels that you have control over are on the outside. This gives you a pretty obvious advantage when maneuvering in and out of the parking bay.

If you don't believe me, just google it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:00:36 pm by Lazio »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2021, 07:28:32 am »
CO2 finally getting some love in this forum!

But what do the plants think of CO4?
:laugh:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        :laugh:

But seriously, car exhaust also contains a fair amount of carbon monoxide, which is even more toxic to plants than it is to humans. People who believe the direct application of exhaust to vegetation is beneficial are idiots. Just like the people who believe backing out into traffic is safer than pulling up into it are.  :smiley:

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2021, 10:53:23 am »
I find it hard to believe that people find it difficult to back out of a parking space. You know exactly what is going on because you just got in your car. I gather none of you look around to see what is happening. Backing in is the wrong move.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #315 on: January 07, 2021, 11:41:37 am »
Experts disagree with you.
Backing in, while requiring more skill, is undeniably safer.
They also bring up a good point: if you drive into a space, and your battery dies, it is extremely difficult to get a jumpstart.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/backed-in-car-parking-lot-space.htm#:~:text=Think%20Safety,when%20you%20are%20pulling%20in.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:43:40 am by Kyndo »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #316 on: January 07, 2021, 11:59:35 am »
Experts disagree with you.
Backing in, while requiring more skill, is undeniably safer.
They also bring up a good point: if you drive into a space, and your battery dies, it is extremely difficult to get a jumpstart.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/backed-in-car-parking-lot-space.htm#:~:text=Think%20Safety,when%20you%20are%20pulling%20in.

Experts shmexperts...a lot of them thought Trump would win and some allegedly still do.

As for a dead battery, good point. But one could always push one's car out couldn't they? As to getting a jump, I was the only driver I ever knew who had jumper cables in their car. It's a Canadian thing maybe.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #317 on: January 07, 2021, 12:07:11 pm »
 :laugh:
One is dealing with statistics, polling, and predictions. The other is dealing with simple physics.
They're not the same.
There's a reason why political science isn't considered a real science!   :wink:

« Reply #318 on: January 07, 2021, 12:07:19 pm »
I find it hard to believe that people find it difficult to back out of a parking space. You know exactly what is going on because you just got in your car. I gather none of you look around to see what is happening. Backing in is the wrong move.
You dont know what us going on because the situation is not static and the distances cars can cover in the time you got in. Your field of vision is also not optimal for situational awareness.

There are exceptions, but generally backing in is better.
Experts shmexperts...a lot of them thought Trump would win and some allegedly still do.

As for a dead battery, good point. But one could always push one's car out couldn't they? As to getting a jump, I was the only driver I ever knew who had jumper cables in their car. It's a Canadian thing maybe.
Political experts dont work in the same field.

Most people dont carry 3M jumper cables. And no it isnt a Canadian thing.

Look, I'm giving you more than most here in saying there are exceptions, and regular enough ones that its not absurd to practice another way, but overall it IS better to back in.

« Reply #319 on: January 07, 2021, 12:13:54 pm »
hmmm hmm fair enough but in all those hours of extensive research did those scientists even bother to consider:

-i dont want to