Read 20093 times

Re: Answers to burning questions we have about Korea
« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2020, 02:33:47 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again- Too often the average foreigner dining outing, particularly amongst more casual friend groups consists of these relevant elements

1) Not being able to decide on a restaurant because someone is a vegan/gluten-free/etc.
2) A bunch of customization requests, some bordering on absurd
2A) Sanctimonious lecture/Unsolicited tutorial on food request X, usually by person from Item 1.
3) Delays in receiving food and waiting to start because inevitably one of those got screwed up
4) 20 minutes fiddling with the bill because everyone got strange crap and someone always chintzes
5) Befuddlement as to why a negative dining experience occurred. No acknowledgment whatsoever that anyone's choices contributed to that outcome.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 02:36:15 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2020, 02:35:31 pm »
I still don't get why anyone would care what ice cream goes in in what order. It's all future poo.

It'd be like taking your books to a friend's house and demanding they be transported like this

rather than like this

Does this really matter? haha
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 02:39:24 pm by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2020, 02:49:39 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again- Too often the average foreigner dining outing, particularly amongst more casual friend groups consists of these relevant elements

1) Not being able to decide on a restaurant because someone is a vegan/gluten-free/etc.
2A) Sanctimonious lecture/Unsolicited tutorial on food request X, usually by person from Item 1.
3) Delays in receiving food and waiting to start because inevitably one of those got screwed up
4) 20 minutes fiddling with the bill because everyone got strange crap and someone always chintzes
5) Befuddlement as to why a negative dining experience occurred. No acknowledgment whatsoever that anyone's choices contributed to that outcome.

You've made up a lot of fabrications before.  Saying it again doesn't make it any more true.  Obviously the meal that you described above is a rarity.  You should give the foreign community a little more credit for the ability to function as adults.  You need to stop imagining the worst case scenario and then applying it en masse to the community at large.  It's delusional. 

« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2020, 02:50:55 pm »

I'm calling bull. Average foreigner dining experience is cheap as hell samgyeopsal and gallons of cass.

« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2020, 03:55:00 pm »
I'm calling bull. Average foreigner dining experience is cheap as hell samgyeopsal and gallons of cass.
Depends on the crowd. There's definitely people who keep it simple. There's also the crowd that's like herding cats.

But yeah, majority of the time it's pretty easy- BBQ n beer or some soj. 

« Reply #225 on: December 28, 2020, 04:00:20 pm »
You've made up a lot of fabrications before.  Saying it again doesn't make it any more true.  Obviously the meal that you described above is a rarity.  You should give the foreign community a little more credit for the ability to function as adults.  You need to stop imagining the worst case scenario and then applying it en masse to the community at large.  It's delusional.
The first time I wrote about it pretty much everyone agreed and said they had similar experiences at some point.

I'll go with the initial response before you started having personal issues with me.

« Reply #226 on: December 28, 2020, 05:03:18 pm »
I still don't get why anyone would care what ice cream goes in in what order. It's all future poo.

Does this really matter? haha

Ice-cream or a big slab of chocolate is something I'll treat myself to on Fridays, particularly after a shitty week. You guys have your beer, I have my chocolate, cakes and ice-cream.

First time I bought some they offered 3 flavours, I chose three, with toppings and they stacked it from top to bottom, with toppings between each layer. Loved it.
Following occasions I didn't even have to ask, they just served it that way. One day, I noticed they changed it to serving sideways, only realized when I got home. Next time, I asked them to stack the way I like it, no idea why I like it this way
,I guess it's nice to work through the flavours instead of having them all mushed together. Anyways, if I'm paying W7000 for the tub, I don't have to explain.
They obliged, no problem. It was only one server on one occasion who gave the "impossible" and I think she was new. I didn't have to raise my voice or anything, the manager was near and intervened before anything evolved into a scene.

Martin will be glad to know that I no longer eat Baskin Robbins, at least in Korea. About 2yrs ago I learned that it's not halal. I just gorge on chocolate now or make my own, peppermint crisp tart, cookies and biscuits.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2020, 07:55:44 am »
The first time I wrote about it pretty much everyone agreed and said they had similar experiences at some point.

I'll go with the initial response before you started having personal issues with me.

Two minutes for deflecting!  What does you taking things personally have to do with the substance at hand.  You gave an example of a typical foreign meal at a restaurant that you have now acknowledged isn't the norm.  Yet, you had no problem applying your example as the standard for foreigner meals in Korea.  Just because everyone can recall a meal like that doesn't make it typical.  Everyone who ever went out on a group meal back home in high school or uni will be familiar with that scenario.  Most people will have moved on and will dine out with people they are familiar with.  Often referred to as friends.  The only people that continue to go out in groups of strangers are those rare breed that enjoy being the voice of authority among newbies.  And we've all met that kind of person at some point as well.  Doesn't make them the average foreigner.  That's your tried and true method.  Make up or refer to an exceptional circumstance, and then just paint the whole group with that brush. 

« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2020, 10:35:02 am »
Two minutes for deflecting!  What does you taking things personally have to do with the substance at hand.  You gave an example of a typical foreign meal at a restaurant that you have now acknowledged isn't the norm.  Yet, you had no problem applying your example as the standard for foreigner meals in Korea.  Just because everyone can recall a meal like that doesn't make it typical.  Everyone who ever went out on a group meal back home in high school or uni will be familiar with that scenario.  Most people will have moved on and will dine out with people they are familiar with.  Often referred to as friends.  The only people that continue to go out in groups of strangers are those rare breed that enjoy being the voice of authority among newbies.  And we've all met that kind of person at some point as well.  Doesn't make them the average foreigner.  That's your tried and true method.  Make up or refer to an exceptional circumstance, and then just paint the whole group with that brush. 
Youre right it's not average. I worded it poorly. I was going for "Too often a not unusual.." It was written poorly. Average foreigner dining experience is you and 2-3 friends at wherever.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2020, 10:54:44 am »
Well, this bit of the conversation has been fun, but I think we've milked it for all it's worth.
I'm going to move parts of this thread to somewhere appropriate, so that the rest of us can go back to answering burning questions or whatever.
Apologies in advance for the collateral culling!
:smiley:
This is the second time you've got me with this. ****

why do waegs in korea generally lean too heavy one way or the other re: korea (its gotta be the worst or the best)? it seems like everyone has a pretty strong opinion one way or another. maybe its the same in expat communities everywhere (but i wouldnt know)
cmon tyler, we live in the age of clickbait. you know how this stuff works

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2020, 12:18:49 pm »
Youre right it's not average. I worded it poorly. I was going for "Too often a not unusual.." It was written poorly. Average foreigner dining experience is you and 2-3 friends at wherever.

Clearly not true.  It was the crux of your argument that this is standard  foreigner crap.  It is the entirety of what you are positing in the argument.   Just admit you're full of BS.  Sheesh.

« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2020, 01:34:06 pm »
Clearly not true.  It was the crux of your argument that this is standard  foreigner crap.  It is the entirety of what you are positing in the argument.   Just admit you're full of BS.  Sheesh.
No, the crux of my argument is that there are often alternative explanations or good reasons for why some merchants refuse to honor requests. My point about "foreigner dining experience" was to link the myriad diet fads and customization requests prevalent amongst a more hipster foreigner subset (say what you will about the Seoul Pub/Old Town crowd, they aren't picky eaters generally) to increased likelihood of negative dining outcomes.

The primary argument was over perceived Korean intransigence at fulfilling certain requests and why this is so.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2020, 02:30:16 pm »
No, the crux of my argument is that there are often alternative explanations or good reasons for why some merchants refuse to honor requests. My point about "foreigner dining experience" was to link the myriad diet fads and customization requests prevalent amongst a more hipster foreigner subset (say what you will about the Seoul Pub/Old Town crowd, they aren't picky eaters generally) to increased likelihood of negative dining outcomes.

The primary argument was over perceived Korean intransigence at fulfilling certain requests and why this is so.
Eh. I'd imagine that the hipster foreigner subset probably dines at restaurants that cater to them. Either way, I can't see what they have to do with the examples mentioned so far in this thread. Getting your coffee in a smaller cup shouldn't be a back-breaking issue, and any restaurant should be prepared to make slight accommodations for an allergy. I also doubt these hipster foreigners are hitting up Baskin Robbins.

« Reply #233 on: December 29, 2020, 03:03:18 pm »
Eh. I'd imagine that the hipster foreigner subset probably dines at restaurants that cater to them. Either way, I can't see what they have to do with the examples mentioned so far in this thread. Getting your coffee in a smaller cup shouldn't be a back-breaking issue, and any restaurant should be prepared to make slight accommodations for an allergy. I also doubt these hipster foreigners are hitting up Baskin Robbins.
Fair enough. I wouldn't say fka or Aristocrat are hipsters, but they definitely give off a vibe of being a more...specificity focused customer. The kind of customer that's constantly evaluating things.

Like I said, I would probably do all of those things myself, but I'm not going to instantly condemn the worker and the culture of their ethnicity at the drop of a hat either. We don't know what the person is thinking and for fka and Aristrocrat to leap to harsh conclusions and to start blaming culture I think is a bit rash. Isn't that a bit knobish as well?

My general reaction to this wouldn't be to declare the poor peon behind the counter to be a fool and to then blast their ethnicity and culture. That seems a bit...well...dickis h. My general reaction would be to wonder what bureaucratic-corporatist calamity or customer scuzziness resulted in this.

It's like being denied the bathroom. When it happens you think the employee is a worm and then you might blast their culture, but before you do, you should maybe ask if there was a previous customer who left errant feces or decided to OD.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2020, 03:05:39 pm »
It's like being denied the bathroom.

Honestly, if you're not a customer, GTFO, in my view.

You contribute to use, wear/tear and cleaning to the facilities. Buy something.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #235 on: December 29, 2020, 03:06:16 pm »
Keep in mind that Martino's most impassioned outburst on the subject of hipster foreigners and their food fads was prompted by my mentionIng a Korean who tested positive for celiac disease after multiple consultations with a gastroenterologist.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:14:02 pm by fka »

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #236 on: December 29, 2020, 03:10:25 pm »

I got the impression he was talking about a paying customer being refused access to a bathroom

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #237 on: December 29, 2020, 03:17:24 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O5RVsmxqiA#t=2m32s

« Reply #238 on: December 29, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »
I got the impression he was talking about a paying customer being refused access to a bathroom
Could go either way. Obviously paying customers could be given more leeway, however in both cases there may be a history of bathroom calamities.

Or someone might have their kitchen sink gravity bong out.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2020, 03:23:04 pm »
Nah, if there's a bathroom that's just a bathroom for the customers, and I buy something? I get to use it.

Unless it's some kind of newspaper stand with a private bathroom/shitter or something.