Read 20085 times

Re: Answers to burning questions we have about Korea
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2020, 04:15:32 pm »
There it is again: You are comparing animals to humans. Whatever a dog can do, an ajhossi can do it too. Got it! There is an idea among middle aged and older Korean ladies that men are just like dogs. Perhaps you are also following that logic.
1) A pet is something that is voluntarily owned and whose conduct the owner is responsible for. If you walk your dog and it shits in public, YOU are responsible for it. Where it pees, YOU are responsible for it.

Owning a dog does give you and your dog the right to do whatever you please simply because "it's a dog and it doesn't know any better."

I shouldn't have to put up with your pet shitting and pissing in public. Your pet should piss and shit on your property, not public property. If you think spitting should be banned, then so should pets sitting and pissing in public.

2) The point about the pets is if you are disgusted by one, you should be disgusted by the other. People's PETS doing this. Their pet shit and piss should be kept to them, but instead they feel they are entitled to spread that nastiness on our streets. Why? But one is acceptable because pet dogs are "cute."

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2020, 10:25:17 pm »
1) A pet is something that is voluntarily owned and whose conduct the owner is responsible for. If you walk your dog and it shits in public, YOU are responsible for it. Where it pees, YOU are responsible for it.

Owning a dog does give you and your dog the right to do whatever you please simply because "it's a dog and it doesn't know any better."

I shouldn't have to put up with your pet shitting and pissing in public. Your pet should piss and shit on your property, not public property. If you think spitting should be banned, then so should pets sitting and pissing in public.

2) The point about the pets is if you are disgusted by one, you should be disgusted by the other. People's PETS doing this. Their pet shit and piss should be kept to them, but instead they feel they are entitled to spread that nastiness on our streets. Why? But one is acceptable because pet dogs are "cute."

There are disgusting things that can be helped and there are disgusting things that can't. Babies soiling their diapers is not the same as some drunkards soiling their pants. It's the same stuff but the circumstances make it entirely different.
A dog taking a dump in a park is not the same as a human doing it. A dog licking its genitals in public is not the same as a human doing it. Both are disgusting but why would you equate the two? We are humans for f.cks sake, not animals!

It's a matter of basic manners. Or rather, the lack of it. Something that can, and should be learned. Something that separates us (well, most of us) from all the other creatures.
Do you expect animals to have manners?
There are things that are universally considered bad manners. Like you don't pick your nose, reach into your pants and scratch your balls, fart loudly etc. in public. Spitting is simply a very bad habit that causes disgust and discomfort to others. Especially the obnoxios, shameless way that it is done here.
Don't try very hard. You aren't convincing anyone with your pitiful argument.

btw, my pets aren't shitting anywhere because I have none. But it doesn't bother me when other pets do their business in a public place. As long as the owners pick it up. Which is pretty much a general thing nowadays. Ever seen someone try to pick up their phlegm from the sidewalk?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2020, 01:43:10 am »
My dog was trained to prefer to pee in gravel or sand.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2020, 07:47:46 am »
This is not a burning question about Korea, it's about the world. Why do smokers think its okay to throw their cigarette butts everywhere?  It really gets up my nose.

I think we all can agree that spitting in public is disgusting and there is no reason to defend it no matter in which country you are.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2020, 08:06:16 am »
Honestly, people who defend dirty habits are most often guilty of doing it themselves and just don't want people telling them that what they're doing is disgusting, lol.

The more staunchly unreasonable they are about it, the more guilty. My dad was absolutely like this, came up with all kinds of excuses for justifying a bad habit.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:07:50 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #165 on: December 24, 2020, 09:40:54 am »
There are disgusting things that can be helped and there are disgusting things that can't. Babies soiling their diapers is not the same as some drunkards soiling their pants. It's the same stuff but the circumstances make it entirely different.
A dog taking a dump in a park is not the same as a human doing it. A dog licking its genitals in public is not the same as a human doing it. Both are disgusting but why would you equate the two? We are humans for f.cks sake, not animals!

It's a matter of basic manners. Or rather, the lack of it. Something that can, and should be learned. Something that separates us (well, most of us) from all the other creatures.
Do you expect animals to have manners?
There are things that are universally considered bad manners. Like you don't pick your nose, reach into your pants and scratch your balls, fart loudly etc. in public. Spitting is simply a very bad habit that causes disgust and discomfort to others. Especially the obnoxios, shameless way that it is done here.
Don't try very hard. You aren't convincing anyone with your pitiful argument.

btw, my pets aren't shitting anywhere because I have none. But it doesn't bother me when other pets do their business in a public place. As long as the owners pick it up. Which is pretty much a general thing nowadays. Ever seen someone try to pick up their phlegm from the sidewalk?
Pets should be shitting on their owner's property, not in public. The owner is responsible for the pet. I'm not talking stray dogs, I'm talking pets. Why can't your dog shit on your lawn or pad?

It doesn't bother you because "pets cute, ajeosshis not."

Are pet ownners mopping up their piss?

« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2020, 09:43:24 am »
Honestly, people who defend dirty habits are most often guilty of doing it themselves and just don't want people telling them that what they're doing is disgusting, lol.

The more staunchly unreasonable they are about it, the more guilty. My dad was absolutely like this, came up with all kinds of excuses for justifying a bad habit.
True, but the same applies to pet owners and their dogs pissing everywhere.

As I said before, there's a difference between openly spitting on the sidewalk vs smokers alley.

Also, what about football pitches and joggers paths?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2020, 09:49:37 am »

Another distinction you fail to mention is that pets animal, ajeosshis human.

« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2020, 09:52:39 am »
Another distinction you fail to mention is that pets animal, ajeosshis human.
Humans have control over where pets shit and piss, yes?

Humans choose to buy pets and assume responsibility for them, yes? This includes their defecation.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2020, 09:58:41 am »
Humans have control over where pets shit and piss, yes?
No. Unless you're suggesting that pet owners somehow physically prevent their pets from shitting and pissing.

Humans choose to buy pets and assume responsibility for them, yes? This includes their defecation.
Pretty sure cleaning up after your dog is a pretty common standard.

« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2020, 10:02:30 am »
No. Unless you're suggesting that pet owners somehow physically prevent their pets from shitting and pissing.
Pretty sure cleaning up after your dog is a pretty common standard.
People mop their dogs' piss?
Pet owners aren't responsible for scooping up poop? They aren't responsible if their pet's pee (or other conduct) damages rental property?

If pet owners have no control over where their pets shit and piss then how come housetraining and litterboxes are a thing?

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #171 on: December 24, 2020, 10:10:39 am »
Pets should be shitting on their owner's property, not in public. 

Agreed.

And given the context of this conversation, the logical extension of that is that people should only ever spit on their own property. Once you're out the front door (or the front gate), no spitting. Not on the sidewalk, not in the street, not in the park, not in the alleys behind restaurants.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 10:14:42 am by Mister Tim »

« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2020, 10:11:53 am »
True, but the same applies to pet owners and their dogs pissing everywhere.

As I said before, there's a difference between openly spitting on the sidewalk vs smokers alley.

Also, what about football pitches and joggers paths?

All equally disgusting, and all equally shamed when people don't follow the rules. I'd definitely put spitting way up higher than dog piss, though, as you can't catch the likes of tuberculosis from dried urine like you can from dried spit. Certain diseases, like tuberculosis, is much higher in countries where people feel the need to constantly spit onto sidewalks.

As others have already said, there's a difference between animals and humans, even if those animals are pets, and humans have regulations that they follow when regarding pets in human living situations. If those rules didn't exist, and if most people didn't follow those rules, it would be a whole lot more filthy. As it is, when you turn a disgusting habit into a norm, it happens a lot more often than it should and in areas where it shouldn't. It wouldn't be a big deal if people spit away from common pedestrian footpaths and down drains. But they don't. I walked past no less than three yellow puddles of spit in my school stairwell this morning. THAT is a problem.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2020, 10:13:07 am »
People mop their dogs' piss?
Every animal pisses on things that we would prefer they not piss on. This is because they are animals. We are humans, and so we hold ourselves to higher standards than animals.

Are you suggesting that an ajeosshi is no better than a dog?

Pet owners aren't responsible for scooping up poop?
They are. The majority of them do. The ones who don't are frowned upon heavily.

They aren't responsible if their pet's pee (or other conduct) damages rental property?
If a pet causes damage to another person or their property, the owner can be held liable.

If pet owners have no control over where their pets shit and piss then how come housetraining and litterboxes are a thing?
Although there are quite a lot of them here, cats are not in fact the only type of pet.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2020, 10:53:48 am »

Building your usual strawman and trying to support it with things you made up. I never said what you quoted. Moreover, no one here ever said it!

It doesn't bother me because they're  .uckin animals. Still don't get the difference?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:31:31 am by Lazio »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #175 on: December 24, 2020, 11:43:35 am »
i saw a pigeon do a poo on the road the other day and i was fcking livid

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2020, 11:50:59 am »
can anyone give me the tldr of what you guys are arguing about...
more gg more skill

« Reply #177 on: December 24, 2020, 11:55:59 am »
Agreed.

And given the context of this conversation, the logical extension of that is that people should only ever spit on their own property. Once you're out the front door (or the front gate), no spitting. Not on the sidewalk, not in the street, not in the park, not in the alleys behind restaurants.
I have no problem with this position because it's consistent. If you are against spitting and also against pets pissing and shitting on public grounds, then fine. But if you are fine with one but not the other, then it's just an irrational argument based on cuteness and you aren't applying any kind of logic or consistency.

But if your dog can piss all over the street, then I see no problem with someone spitting.

As others have already said, there's a difference between animals and humans, even if those animals are pets, and humans have regulations that they follow when regarding pets in human living situations. If those rules didn't exist, and if most people didn't follow those rules, it would be a whole lot more filthy. As it is, when you turn a disgusting habit into a norm, it happens a lot more often than it should and in areas where it shouldn't. It wouldn't be a big deal if people spit away from common pedestrian footpaths and down drains. But they don't. I walked past no less than three yellow puddles of spit in my school stairwell this morning. THAT is a problem.
No problem with this, at least there's some level of consistency and understanding. I'd agree that given the spitting on sidewalks and footpaths, spitters have in a sense forfeited any defense they have. At least you're willing to acknowledge that spitting into a drain or in some alley isn't some travesty. I do think the TB thing is bit overblown. No one seems to be shitting themselves in fear over TB when they're drunk in Hongdae at 1230AM in some alley drinking soju and powerade and there's a bunch of smokers there. That being said, it IS a vector and there is a legitimate basis for it, even if it is a small risk, it's just one more thing that adds to reasons for regulation.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:00:24 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2020, 12:07:29 pm »
I have no problem with this position because it's consistent. If you are against spitting and also against pets pissing and shitting on public grounds, then fine. But if you are fine with one but not the other, then it's just an irrational argument based on cuteness and you aren't applying any kind of logic or consistency.

You are literally the only person who has mentioned "cuteness"

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2020, 12:21:33 pm »
can anyone give me the tldr of what you guys are arguing about...

being disgusted by people spitting in public when you're fine with pets shitting/pissing in public is a double standard (according to martino).
(@martino I believe that summarizes your main point accurately, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me)