Read 20087 times

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Answers to burning questions we have about Korea
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2020, 11:44:17 am »
Garden of Eatin’ Taco Kits are the best. Tell me why I am wrong.

« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2020, 01:36:35 pm »
Irrelevant and an attempt to distract from your obvious overreaction.  How most posts go has nothing to do with my very specific comment.  You can keep talking around the fact that you took a flippant comment seriously and parodied yourself, yet again. And I have no doubt you will continue to attempt to rationalize your reaction until people get bored and move on from this thread, and you can count that as some kind of victory in whatever warped scorecard you keep. 
I said that Old El Paso taco kits taste like shit. That was as flippant as anything you wrote. Then I went on a quick rant about people bitching about food things here.

You got big mad over an obvious bait post. Just take your L and get over it, and stop trying to pretend that you're actually proving anything

Dude...

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't have wanted a bunch of stale taco shells that crumble when you take one bite or vacuum-packed tortillas combined with a foil-wrapped packet of sodium benzoate sulfite sorbate acid hypertension masquerading as "seasoning."

This is not "big mad". This is having a laugh. Case in point:

I'll also add that the lack of Chef Boyardee here is probably due to Koreans thinking the same as Italians- It tastes like shit.  (Except for Beefaroni)

Same as the Canadian throwdown with some poster a while back, there was a wink there.

What do the heating/cooling requirements of a building have to do with me preferring the aesthetic look of many western supermarkets where I'm from?  Are you actually so sensitive that you feel the need to defend an inanimate object? 
Okay, this I'll actually go after because it is genuinely ignorant. There is a direct connection between the "look" and heating/cooling costs. There is also a direct link between that and increased energy consumption and pollution.

If you want to talk about me taking an L and calming down, you should probably do the same here. Acknowledge "Yeah, it makes sense to have low ceilings to reduce energy costs. I didn't think of that. In fact, we should probably do that back home to be greener. Aesthetics aren't everything."

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2020, 02:20:17 pm »
This is not "big mad". This is having a laugh. Case in point:

Good job cutting up your quotes to avoid acknowledging the bits of what you said that we're actually talking about.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2020, 02:20:28 pm »

Okay, this I'll actually go after because it is genuinely ignorant. There is a direct connection between the "look" and heating/cooling costs. There is also a direct link between that and increased energy consumption and pollution.

If you want to talk about me taking an L and calming down, you should probably do the same here. Acknowledge "Yeah, it makes sense to have low ceilings to reduce energy costs. I didn't think of that. In fact, we should probably do that back home to be greener. Aesthetics aren't everything."

It wasn't me talking about you taking the L.  You've already received the L, that's clear to anyone who read this thread.  It's not like a summons.  You don't have to accept it for it to be served.  You have been served with an L, no question. 

You are trying to avoid another L, by attempting to change the tone of the argument.  I never said high ceilings was more energy efficient.  I said repeatedly that I preferred the aesthetic look of some western supermarkets.  Only YOU have brought the energy angle into this in a pathetic attempt to change the conversation and mask that once again you saw red before even understanding the comments.  And enough with the attempt to turn it into a "green" argument.  My local Emart has three floors of shopping with about four open floors of parking on top.  The escalator passageway is open all the way to the top, allowing cool or heated air to escape out through the escalator wells and up to the parking which is open to the elements with the doors constantly opening.  Yeah, that's pretty green all right. 

I know you took a beating here, and you're taking another one by completely whiffing on The Trainspotting reference currently in another thread, but you're not helping your case.  Actually, none of it matters.  Perhaps there was a time where you had credibility on a site, but that's long gone so I guess you don't care.  You need to be the resident harpy to feel better about yourself.  Have at it.  I will stay out of this thread for a few days and you can respond, and when I don't counter, you have my permission to say "I've won!"  Arguing with you sometimes feels like picking on a child.  I feel a bit ashamed. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2020, 02:54:33 pm »
completely whiffing on The Trainspotting reference currently in another thread
feelsbadman
more gg more skill

« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2020, 03:01:52 pm »
It wasn't me talking about you taking the L.  You've already received the L, that's clear to anyone who read this thread.  It's not like a summons.  You don't have to accept it for it to be served.  You have been served with an L, no question. 

You are trying to avoid another L, by attempting to change the tone of the argument.  I never said high ceilings was more energy efficient.  I said repeatedly that I preferred the aesthetic look of some western supermarkets.  Only YOU have brought the energy angle into this in a pathetic attempt to change the conversation and mask that once again you saw red before even understanding the comments.  And enough with the attempt to turn it into a "green" argument.  My local Emart has three floors of shopping with about four open floors of parking on top.  The escalator passageway is open all the way to the top, allowing cool or heated air to escape out through the escalator wells and up to the parking which is open to the elements with the doors constantly opening.  Yeah, that's pretty green all right. 

I know you took a beating here, and you're taking another one by completely whiffing on The Trainspotting reference currently in another thread, but you're not helping your case.  Actually, none of it matters.  Perhaps there was a time where you had credibility on a site, but that's long gone so I guess you don't care.  You need to be the resident harpy to feel better about yourself.  Have at it.  I will stay out of this thread for a few days and you can respond, and when I don't counter, you have my permission to say "I've won!"  Arguing with you sometimes feels like picking on a child.  I feel a bit ashamed. 
Dude, you just proclaiming wins and losses doesn't change the fact that you made a STUPID point. Yes, it was STUPID. Deep down you KNOW you didn't think of that factor when you made the comment. It's okay, we all have those slips. Everyone says stupid shit. And yes, we're going to try and get around it when it happens, but it was dumb.

You did more than just comment on the aesthetic. There was an implicit value judgment. Just admit you didn't think about heating and cooling costs and thought you were making a point, a fairly mild one, but still it was poorly thought through.

Again, why not just admit you didn't consider that factor and go "Oh, that makes sense." Instead you do this pathetic tactic of trying to posture so you look like you're above it all.

The escalator passageway is open all the way to the top, allowing cool or heated air to escape out through the escalator wells and up to the parking which is open to the elements with the doors constantly opening.  Yeah, that's pretty green all right.
Yes, every store is going to have points of ingress and egress that will result in heat/cooling loss.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2020, 03:16:00 pm »
Again, why not just admit you didn't consider that factor and go "Oh, that makes sense." Instead you do this pathetic tactic of trying to posture so you look like you're above it all.

ironic

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2020, 06:59:02 am »
Yes, every store is going to have points of ingress and egress that will result in heat/cooling loss.

Just would like to randomly point out that most of the e-marts etc in my area have small "airlock" foyers (with automatic glass doors on either side). These serve a few different purposes I guess, but one of them is to prevent too much mixing of air. They're pretty effective.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:20:52 am by Kyndo »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2020, 11:18:45 am »
This is a long chat about Old El Paso kits.  Ha ha.  I've been too busy making ppt's.  (But am coming to the end of this 2 year spiel.) 

« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2020, 11:25:22 am »
Why is garlic bread sweet here?

(And why do I love it so much?)

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2020, 03:56:33 pm »

Question
Why do people spit? I've heard numerous reasons (it helps prevent cancer while smoking etc.) but never one universal theory. I'm guessing nobody really knows and Korean teenagers simply do it to emulate adults.

My stepson spits a lot, and it drives me nuts.  Turns out, its allergies.  Not a heck of a lot he can do about it.  Just gets a lot of congestion and swallowing it makes him feel like he's choking, so he feels the need to spit it out.  Can't really say that's a blanket answer, the spitting drives me crazy as well, but at least that's one explanation for one case, lol.

« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2020, 05:40:09 pm »
My stepson spits a lot, and it drives me nuts.  Turns out, its allergies.  Not a heck of a lot he can do about it.  Just gets a lot of congestion and swallowing it makes him feel like he's choking, so he feels the need to spit it out.  Can't really say that's a blanket answer, the spitting drives me crazy as well, but at least that's one explanation for one case, lol.

Yeah, that's understandable and definitely an exception. The only time I ever feel the need to spit is while surfing, no idea why, probably something to do with the salt. Even so, I don't hock back my lungs, it's a quick little spit into the sea.

For most people in Korea, I don't buy the smoking argument. My current theory is that it's a combination of: teenagers trying to posture their Machismo by acting like ajjushis, superstitious jazz about bad energy, growing up relatively uncivilized and without a masculine
role-model who taught you how to be any more refined than a boiled potato. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2020, 06:06:18 pm »
a guy i used to teach told me he got in trouble for constantly spitting while in singapore but couldn't understand what was wrong with it. he didn't consider his behaviour strange or dirty

i guess that hits on the "uncivilised" part, but i found it genuinely mental he thought spitting was 100% okay

having said that, we once did a business english group lesson on how to tell an anecdote. everyone told relatively normal anecdotes but his anecdote was that when he was in australia, he was on a farm doing fruit picking. suddenly, while sleeping (in a big room with multiple others in it), he got a stomach ache but the toilet was occupied. so he shat himself in the shower and stamped it down the plughole. the end.

so maybe this guy's opinions shouldn't be taken too seriously

« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2020, 06:59:32 pm »
If I were to swallow smokey saliva or a mouthful of cowdung air, I would probably vomit. Spitting is a better alternative.

« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2020, 08:01:51 pm »
If I were to swallow smokey saliva or a mouthful of cowdung air, I would probably vomit. Spitting is a better alternative.

Tissues are a thing
I smoked for a decade and not once did I feel the need to spit and only once, outside Korea, did I meet someone who did. This person only did so while smoking. I'm breathing the same air as the spitters, as are all the Koreans who don't spit and find the behaviour repulsive.

If you feel the need to urinate, do you find a toilet or pee in the road? If you feel the need to fart and you're around others, do you find a toilet/exercise general discretion by doing the deed away from others or do you proudly sound the trumpets?
You see where I'm going with this?

That aside, exactly how many times, while in Korea, have you really felt the need to spit????

No other way to cut it other than public spitters are crass, uncivilized simpletons who should be fined on the spot for their disgusting behaviour. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 08:35:02 pm by Aristocrat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2020, 08:26:57 pm »
Enter DM's <"yes but what people letting their dogs piss on the street? Same difference"> comment here

Pre-emptied ya

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2020, 08:41:29 pm »

Damn, there must be a f.ckton of cowdung in this country... Most people that we see spitting, would have a hard time recalling the last time they saw a farm animal up close.
Stop trying to make ridiculous excuses for spitting. Please don't embarass yourself with the ''what about birds crapping on the pavement'' line! You really want to compare humans to animals???
Don't try to make it look okay because you're just making yourself ridiculous. Just let it go.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2020, 08:00:23 am »
Older generations have proven incredibly adept at catching up with current technology.

Image credits/ Mister Tim

What's with the whole OK Boomer nonsense?  Any intelligent idea or skepticism should be discarded because they are a boomer or something?  Quite harping on my parents generation, man! 

Besides, weren't a bunch of them dirty pot smoking free love hippies?  Guess that explains all the divorces and kids coming from broken homes, then.  Well, in that case, OK boomer.  Damn you!!!

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2020, 08:12:20 am »
It's obvious that DeMartino's objection to public defecating has more to do with his animus toward Koreans and his inability to adapt as an immigrant than to the defecation itself. What with his acceptance of spitting, the pigeon droppings on the pavement and car oil staining his shoe soles, such an objection is completely arbitrary. After all, there is only one letter of difference between spit and shit. If you aren't complaining about ajeossis throwing phlegm in the subway station during a viral pandemic, but you find it "disgusting" and "foul" when someone noisily signals their gastrointestinal discomfort, slowly lowers their trousers, squats in the middle of a busy shopping street and drops a pile of steaming crap, that reflects only your hypocrisy and ridiculous double standards (not to mention a probable element of racism).

Have you ever drunk coffee? It stimulates the bowels and has a laxative effect. If you drink coffee, you basically have two options: 1) suffer from compacted bowels and die or 2) rip a loud fart in public, drop your drawers and spray the street with diarrhea. That's why you see so many people huddled at the entrances of coffee shops, baring their asses and dropping turds onto the doorway. Martino doesn't like it when he wakes up to a human turd in his doorway, but some people were just never meant to live abroad. Welcome to being an immigrant.

As for Koreans who don't engage in this kind of behavior and also find it repulsive, I can only guess that they are products of wishy-washy modern liberal education. A 12-hour shift in the munitions factory and a few sachets of Maxim would fix that, and before long the streets would glow brown with hard-won life experience and acknowledgement of biological reality.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:20:00 am by fka »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2020, 08:45:49 am »
Before anybody responds to the above comment, I want to say that my sarcasm detector is tingling.