Read 20088 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Answers to burning questions we have about Korea
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2020, 12:53:32 pm »
why do the old people here ALWAYS push you in the back to get off the subway when EVERYONE IS ALREADY getting off, only to then potter slowly to the escalator and stand still? what's gooing on there?

why do old korean men always seem to gravitate into my path when the pavement is 100% empty, only to then look offended when they get slightly shoulder checked?

if i go to the park for the afternoon, why does a family always seem to set up camp RIGHT NEXT TO me, despite the whole area being empty?

Why do the old people always walk in the middle of the road in a rural myeon or ri when there is a sidewalk built and they don't use it?  (Though honestly, it was far more widespread 10 or 15 years ago.)

Why did ajossis whip it out in the middle of the street or standing on a bridge over a river and take a leak in front of everyone with no shame?  (I did witness this in some very small towns long ago.  Never in Seoul.)  It really doesn't happen anymore.   But it was the strangest thing ever.  This was during the middle of the day no less. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2020, 12:58:59 pm »
In comparison to back home, the parking lots are probably the nicest parts of the supermarkets here.  I was always perplexed when Walmart was leaving Korea, Koreans would say that Walmart just didn't understand the Korean shopper.  They didn't like the bare bones feel of the stores.  EMart hasn't changed a thing with the look of the former Walmart at Pyeongcheon station.  It still looks like crap.  The only nice supermarket I've been to in Korea was a Kim's Club in the Bucheon bus terminal building.  All the others are fine, just very utilitarian.  No high ceilings letting in the natural light for example.  They have all the warmth of a laboratory. 

So, to keep in the spirit of things I will ask a burning question:

Why do Koreans hate nice supermarkets so much?

They left just before I got here.  I heard many suppliers actually tried to block them and would refuse to sell to them to sabotage them.  Koreans use to be very good at collective behaviour especially if the national pride was at stake.  No one would go against the grain.  Not like that so much anymore. 

One of the things I did hear was also with carrefour is they made great fresh bread and then it became home ever?  They made crappier bread and then later it became homeplus?  Only going on what folks told me.  In general, my guess is Wal Mart didn't sell enough kinds of kimchi?  At least when Costco came in, they brought their own supply chain, which Wal Mart didn't do.

I have heard in China when it went in, Chinese treated it as high end and only wealthier people originally shopped there.  China didn't have the nationalism going on until recent years though.  Korea did at the time.  Wal Mart went into both countries in the late 90's? 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2020, 01:19:07 pm »
They left just before I got here.  I heard many suppliers actually tried to block them and would refuse to sell to them to sabotage them.  Koreans use to be very good at collective behaviour especially if the national pride was at stake.  No one would go against the grain.  Not like that so much anymore. 

One of the things I did hear was also with carrefour is they made great fresh bread and then it became home ever?  They made crappier bread and then later it became homeplus?  Only going on what folks told me.  In general, my guess is Wal Mart didn't sell enough kinds of kimchi?  At least when Costco came in, they brought their own supply chain, which Wal Mart didn't do.

I have heard in China when it went in, Chinese treated it as high end and only wealthier people originally shopped there.  China didn't have the nationalism going on until recent years though.  Korea did at the time.  Wal Mart went into both countries in the late 90's? 

Yeah, I also heard that EMart partnered with Walmart to learn the ropes of running a hypermart, and then tried to squeeze them out when they thought they could run it on their own.  Koreans usually got defensive when asked about that, so they would always revert to the collective bullsh*t line of "Walmart didn't get Korean shoppers."  Carrefour had some good products that the other places didn't carry.  Like jarred coq au vin sauce and Old El Paso taco kits.  I don't remember their bread, but I'm sure it was better than its successors, Homever and Homeplus's bakeries. 

Why do Koreans hate Old El Paso taco kits so much? 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2020, 01:25:54 pm »
Yeah, I also heard that EMart partnered with Walmart to learn the ropes of running a hypermart, and then tried to squeeze them out when they thought they could run it on their own.  Koreans usually got defensive when asked about that, so they would always revert to the collective bullsh*t line of "Walmart didn't get Korean shoppers."  Carrefour had some good products that the other places didn't carry.  Like jarred coq au vin sauce and Old El Paso taco kits.  I don't remember their bread, but I'm sure it was better than its successors, Homever and Homeplus's bakeries. 

They might like it now if educated on how to use it and which supplies to use or partially use.  Even out here in the provinces, foreign restaurants are opening up and they are starting to like many kinds of foreign foods.  I remember, especially outside of Seoul and Gyeonggi, if it wasn't rice and kimchi, it wouldn't go over very well nor last.  Shows just how much Korea has changed in the last few years. 

I never tried Coupang.  Are they on there?  I have to buy some specialty foods there due to not trekking up to Seoul this winter.  I just started using that site over the past year or so. 

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2020, 01:30:08 pm »
Same reason Mexicans hate them.

They're shit.

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2020, 01:31:40 pm »
Same reason Mexicans hate them.

They're shit.

DMart bringing the heat.

Put me in the same category. Not sure why people think old el paso taco kits are good.

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2020, 01:37:59 pm »
Top question on my mind when i walk into a supermarket- "Why aren't there cathedral ceilings so we can waste more energy heating and cooling the place?"
Also, next question from OnNut81: "Why don't Koreans do anything about the smog?"

Yeah, I also heard that EMart partnered with Walmart to learn the ropes of running a hypermart, and then tried to squeeze them out when they thought they could run it on their own.
That's what you're supposed to do if you don't want to get overtaken. What, are they supposed to all hug and kiss each other? This is hyper-competitive business, not neighbors teaching each other how to bake a cake. You think Wal-Mart is some sort of kind entity that wasn't looking to take over E-Mart?

Even out here in the provinces, foreign restaurants are opening up and they are starting to like many kinds of foreign foods.  I remember, especially outside of Seoul and Gyeonggi, if it wasn't rice and kimchi, it wouldn't go over very well nor last.  Shows just how much Korea has changed in the last few years. 

I never tried Coupang. 
Dude, my EBF town I first taught in had foreign products and a few restaurants.

Going out on a limb here, but maybe the person who thinks this is some "new phenomenon in the last few years" and "never used Coupang" doesn't exactly have his finger on the pulse of food, shopping, and dining in Korea.

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2020, 01:46:03 pm »
DMart bringing the heat.

Put me in the same category. Not sure why people think old el paso taco kits are good.
Seriously..."Why don't Koreans like good food, like Old El Paso taco kits" is a massive self-fail on so many levels. Reminds me of way back when on Dave's when someone was bitching that Koreans didn't like good food like Subway.

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't have wanted a bunch of stale taco shells that crumble when you take one bite or vacuum-packed tortillas combined with a foil-wrapped packet of sodium benzoate sulfite sorbate acid hypertension masquerading as "seasoning."

You'll see this pop up at various times "Why don't Koreans like processed, mass-produced, mediocre tasting, and incredibly unhealthy product X from back home? What's wrong with them???"

It's on the level of bitching about Korean pizza having sweet potato or corn and it not being authentic as a person orders a Hawaiian or Chicken BBQ pizza. Like, FFS, do you not have any self-awareness?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2020, 01:54:55 pm »
Top question on my mind when i walk into a supermarket- "Why aren't there cathedral ceilings so we can waste more energy heating and cooling the place?"

Interesting definition of a "nice supermarket" you got there, but I'm not sure if anyone else is on the same page.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 02:07:14 pm by 745sticky »

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2020, 02:02:55 pm »
Interesting definition of a "nice supermarket" you go there, but I'm not sure if anyone else is on the same page.

The only nice supermarket I've been to in Korea was a Kim's Club in the Bucheon bus terminal building.  All the others are fine, just very utilitarian. No high ceilings letting in the natural light for example.  They have all the warmth of a laboratory. 

So, to keep in the spirit of things I will ask a burning question:

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2020, 02:06:36 pm »
interesting definition of a "nice supermarket" you got there, but I'm not sure if anyone else is on the same page (x2)

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2020, 02:40:45 pm »
Seriously..."Why don't Koreans like good food, like Old El Paso taco kits" is a massive self-fail on so many levels. Reminds me of way back when on Dave's when someone was bitching that Koreans didn't like good food like Subway.

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't have wanted a bunch of stale taco shells that crumble when you take one bite or vacuum-packed tortillas combined with a foil-wrapped packet of sodium benzoate sulfite sorbate acid hypertension masquerading as "seasoning."

You'll see this pop up at various times "Why don't Koreans like processed, mass-produced, mediocre tasting, and incredibly unhealthy product X from back home? What's wrong with them???"

It's on the level of bitching about Korean pizza having sweet potato or corn and it not being authentic as a person orders a Hawaiian or Chicken BBQ pizza. Like, FFS, do you not have any self-awareness?

Self-awareness? Says the guy who is so thin-skinned, that the fact that I clearly made those questions in jest to keep in line with the thread name went completely over his head and triggered him.  Do you think I actually think Koreans are even aware of Old El Paso and collectively voiced their displeasure over the product?  Do you think I believe that Koreans hate nice supermarkets?   

Just when I think you've expressed all the different ways one can to embarrass themselves , you go and pull another example out of your hat.

And, yes, I enjoy supermarkets that have high ceilings, natural lighting, wide aisles, and some art and murals to low-ceilinged bare bones utilitarian places.  DMart, this triggers you how? 

I am not Mexican or from the south.  I don't care whatsoever if someone thinks taco kits are crap.  I like them.  I like warming them in the toaster oven a bit, then laying them out so people can stuff in what they want from what you've prepared.  Black beans, guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream, ground beef and yes, I like the Old El Paso taco sauce.  My taste buds answer to only one person. 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2020, 02:47:21 pm »
interesting definition of a "nice supermarket" you got there, but I'm not sure if anyone else is on the same page (x2)

Aesthetically speaking.  No point in going over things like having an actual deli counter with a variety of foods and prepared dishes.  That would be subjective and trigger DMart because I would be complaining about foods that Koreans don't want.  He would then tell me "Welcome to life as an immigrant."  I wanted to avoid that.  But, apparently even criticism of a Korean supermarket's look  can set him off. 

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2020, 03:58:14 pm »
Do you think I actually think Koreans are even aware of Old El Paso and collectively voiced their displeasure over the product?  Do you think I believe that Koreans hate nice supermarkets?   
50-50. Lots of people say dumb stuff on here from time to time. Not always sure.

And, yes, I enjoy supermarkets that have high ceilings, natural lighting, wide aisles, and some art and murals to low-ceilinged bare bones utilitarian places.  DMart, this triggers you how?
It's not "triggered" to point out that if you're going to wish for those things, don't bitch and moan when the power plant is belching out smog to power the A/C or heater for the place.

I am not Mexican or from the south.  I don't care whatsoever if someone thinks taco kits are crap.  I like them.  I like warming them in the toaster oven a bit, then laying them out so people can stuff in what they want from what you've prepared.  Black beans, guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream, ground beef and yes, I like the Old El Paso taco sauce.  My taste buds answer to only one person.
Okay, you're upset Koreans don't like Old El Paso Taco kits which taste like shit. You're bothered that Koreans don't like the crap food you like.

Aesthetically speaking.  No point in going over things like having an actual deli counter with a variety of foods and prepared dishes.  That would be subjective and trigger DMart because I would be complaining about foods that Koreans don't want.  He would then tell me "Welcome to life as an immigrant."
Whining that Korean supermarkets don't have a deli counter makes as much sense as some Korean in the US bitching and moaning that there isn't a banchan counter.

They do have prepared dishes, just not the prepared dishes YOU want.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2020, 04:19:51 pm »
talking of supermarkets, what's with the guy shouting down the microphone with volume turned up to 11 while almost blasting my eardrums out? no korean person i have ever talked to actually likes this. most i know actively dislike and the others don't really care either way

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2020, 05:12:19 pm »
50-50. Lots of people say dumb stuff on here from time to time. Not always sure.
It's not "triggered" to point out that if you're going to wish for those things, don't bitch and moan when the power plant is belching out smog to power the A/C or heater for the place.
Okay, you're upset Koreans don't like Old El Paso Taco kits which taste like shit. You're bothered that Koreans don't like the crap food you like.
Whining that Korean supermarkets don't have a deli counter makes as much sense as some Korean in the US bitching and moaning that there isn't a banchan counter.

They do have prepared dishes, just not the prepared dishes YOU want.

No, there is no way anyone could believe I actually believed Koreans as a whole hated Old El Paso taco kits.  The only way that could be believed would be if someone came into the discussion with a an already established set of beliefs and was just hoping for a comment to confirm what they already believe.  Itís almost like a confirmation bias. Are you familiar with that term?

Your other comments about tacos and Koreans I will dismiss out of hand because you want my comments to have been serious to justify your embarrassing earlier comments.  But, itís obvious they werenít to any rational person. 

In regards to complaining about the smog from air conditioning the supermarket where did I mention anything about that?  Or are you going to do that thing where you cite a specific comment but respond with a fake allegation and claim you just meant it as general remark to the world at large? 

In regards to the deli counter, again where did I say they donít have anything I want?  By the way, the manner in which you capitalized YOU really hit home.  I almost started slow clapping.  I just would like to see more.  Again, i pointed out this was subjective so I didnít bring it up specifically as you would take it the wrong way, and no surprise, you did.  You really need to look into what ďconfirmation biasĒ is. I think it may help you stop missing the point so often. 

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2020, 06:11:36 pm »
No, there is no way anyone could believe I actually believed Koreans as a whole hated Old El Paso taco kits. 
Given how most posts go here, yeah it is actually a way people could believe it.

Or are you claiming "Why do Koreans (insert generalized comment here)?" is some sort of rare occurrence here?

Your other comments about tacos and Koreans I will dismiss out of hand because you want my comments to have been serious to justify your embarrassing earlier comments.  But, itís obvious they werenít to any rational person.
My response was that they don't like them for the same reason Mexicans don't like them: They taste like shit.

If you think this is an untrue or "embarrassing" comment, go right ahead and think that. I'll also add that the lack of Chef Boyardee here is probably due to Koreans thinking the same as Italians- It tastes like shit.  (Except for Beefaroni)

In regards to complaining about the smog from air conditioning the supermarket where did I mention anything about that?  Or are you going to do that thing where you cite a specific comment but respond with a fake allegation and claim you just meant it as general remark to the world at large?
You know there's a connection between the volume of a facility and the energy required to heat/cool it, right? You know their might be a connection between that and the lack of spacious ceilings, right?

No one is taking anything the wrong way, just pointing out some things you might not have considered.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:22:57 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2020, 07:03:10 pm »
I think it was the extreme hatred of Old El Paso Taco Kits(TM) that led to the demise of both Carrefour and WalMart in Korea.

/s

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2020, 07:58:18 am »
Given how most posts go here, yeah it is actually a way people could believe it.

Or are you claiming "Why do Koreans (insert generalized comment here)?" is some sort of rare occurrence here?

Irrelevant and an attempt to distract from your obvious overreaction.  How most posts go has nothing to do with my very specific comment.  You can keep talking around the fact that you took a flippant comment seriously and parodied yourself, yet again. And I have no doubt you will continue to attempt to rationalize your reaction until people get bored and move on from this thread, and you can count that as some kind of victory in whatever warped scorecard you keep. 

What do the heating/cooling requirements of a building have to do with me preferring the aesthetic look of many western supermarkets where I'm from?  Are you actually so sensitive that you feel the need to defend an inanimate object?  And, before you mention it, only someone with blinders on could've taken my comment about "Koreans hating nice supermarkets" seriously.  You say it happens all the time, but the vast majority of those kind of comments on this site have come from you when you present one of your many fictitious accounts of western reactions to Korean culture. 

If only you could have controlled your triggered impulses and left your comments at "because Mexicans hate them" you would just have had a humorous response.  But you couldn't and turned it into another one of your entitled foreigner rants. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:01:24 am by OnNut81 »

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2020, 08:04:15 am »

My response was that they don't like them for the same reason Mexicans don't like them: They taste like shit.

If you think this is an untrue or "embarrassing" comment, go right ahead and think that. I'll also add that the lack of Chef Boyardee here is probably due to Koreans thinking the same as Italians- It tastes like shit.  (Except for Beefaroni)

the point

your head

OnNut has already said his assertion that Koreans as a whole hate Old Paso taco kits was meant to be facetious. Instead of trying to re-frame his point by making it seem like he's arguing against the response he has already acknowledged he doesn't care about, you should quote the rest of it:

You got big mad over an obvious bait post. Just take your L and get over it, and stop trying to pretend that you're actually proving anything
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:06:23 am by 745sticky »