Read 676 times

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
Korean Dramas you can recommend~~~
« on: November 27, 2020, 10:28:39 pm »
I have been told to watch Mr. Sunshine so much....

but the first episode in I am turned off because of the "Western" actors speaking English....I can't stand it when Koreans use an awkward foreigner and inject him or her into a great movie/series...Where do they find the "random white guy" with poor acting skills?  Mostly its a tall foreign white male who talks really slow monotone English~~~(in this case it was the captain of the boat)...

Despite this I am still giving Mr. Sunshine a try.

Are there any K-dramas you can recommend that are not OTT?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:51:16 pm by dippedinblush »

Re: Korean Dramas you can recommend~~~
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:07:58 pm »
미안하다 사랑하다. A modern classic.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 11:15:04 pm »
I also was initially turned off by Mr. Sunshine-  too many anachronisms, glaring mistakes regarding basic American landmarks, annoying product placement (looking at you, Paris Baguette), etc, etc.  But once I learned to put aside my expectation for something on par with shows like Mad Men or Breaking Bad and just watch it for the visuals, I fell in love with it.  And it's one of the only K-dramas I've ever actually wanted to go back and re-watch, let alone finish.   

I also recommend Sky Castle (which was controversial for shining a critical light on Korean "academies" and the privileged class) or if you're a zombie fan (which I am not) Kingdom is also fantastic. 

Anything else I have just not been able to stomach.  haha

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 11:31:47 pm »
ill check it out...today i was told to watch "The World of the Married"(부부의 세계)....have you watched it?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:44:26 pm by dippedinblush »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 09:01:59 am »
ill check it out...today i was told to watch "The World of the Married"(부부의 세계)....have you watched it?
this is had, at least, good production value and acting. i was passively watching it while my wife watched it. better than the usual tripe she watches

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 09:27:20 am »
I also was initially turned off by Mr. Sunshine-  too many anachronisms, glaring mistakes regarding basic American landmarks, annoying product placement (looking at you, Paris Baguette), etc, etc.  But once I learned to put aside my expectation for something on par with shows like Mad Men or Breaking Bad and just watch it for the visuals, I fell in love with it.  And it's one of the only K-dramas I've ever actually wanted to go back and re-watch, let alone finish.   

I also recommend Sky Castle (which was controversial for shining a critical light on Korean "academies" and the privileged class) or if you're a zombie fan (which I am not) Kingdom is also fantastic. 

Anything else I have just not been able to stomach.  haha

I'd second Sky Castle

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 07:37:31 am »
I liked Stranger. (edit) it's a detective/solve a crime  show
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:39:23 am by 303lmc »

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 11:53:27 am »
Misaeng, My Mister, the Reply series, Black Dog, The Queen's Classroom, SKY Castle