Read 6720 times

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
Re: What is up with these school lunches??
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 01:53:52 pm »
It's also usually on the school website.
Yes, you are indeed correct.

Also, in some schools, at least private ones, in the past was a pay-per-meal deal, instead of the pay monthly thing that virtually all schools seemed to have gone too. It was either you buy like a set of coupons (like 10 at a time), or you just threw money in some money bucket at the lunch counter. I wish schools would allow such an option now, but I haven't seen a set up like that in like 8 years.

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 02:53:25 pm »
Yes, you are indeed correct.

Also, in some schools, at least private ones, in the past was a pay-per-meal deal, instead of the pay monthly thing that virtually all schools seemed to have gone too. It was either you buy like a set of coupons (like 10 at a time), or you just threw money in some money bucket at the lunch counter. I wish schools would allow such an option now, but I haven't seen a set up like that in like 8 years.

Yes, that would be awesome, but I do understand the current system based on being prepared with enough food and not too much waste....

When I was in my elementary school days they used to ask at the beginning of the day how many people were eating etc and then we used the card system to pay for our meals.....but because lunches are free for students in Korea it wouldn't make sense to have that system only for the teachers.....coupon s could work though

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 03:03:02 pm »
Yeah, there would be huge swings in cash flow/food waste if we paid a la carte. Our school has 750 students, it's simply not possible to cook for that number of kids (and 60 staff) with a "Maybe I will, maybe I won't" system. hahaha You pay for the month, we make fairly standard, non-offensive food.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 03:21:10 pm »
Yes, that would be awesome, but I do understand the current system based on being prepared with enough food and not too much waste....

When I was in my elementary school days they used to ask at the beginning of the day how many people were eating etc and then we used the card system to pay for our meals.....but because lunches are free for students in Korea it wouldn't make sense to have that system only for the teachers.....coupon s could work though
Meals are not free for students nationwide, in about half the districts, mostly in the conservative area, students do pay for meals.

The pay-as-you-go thing was only for teachers, but I do understand why they've basically force teachers to pay. Streamlining food amounts, and If teachers don't want to eat it, why should students.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 04:54:29 pm »
Yeah, there would be huge swings in cash flow/food waste if we paid a la carte. Our school has 750 students, it's simply not possible to cook for that number of kids (and 60 staff) with a "Maybe I will, maybe I won't" system. hahaha You pay for the month, we make fairly standard, non-offensive food.
except on wednesdays when they often do that "foreign food" day. that was very offensive

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 05:05:31 pm »
I opted out of the lunch program while I was in Korea because I don't eat fertilizer. My pay was adjusted upwards accordingly. Frankly I was surprised how badly I was being ripped off for garbage I wouldn't feed a junkyard dog.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 05:33:11 pm »
I only have worked in hagwons. Here's the dinner experience.

1. I have always been provided a meal. A dinner break is mandated by law I hear. Some institutes have had 20 minute breaks, others 10 minutes.

2. My first year back in '02 my director had a small hagwon with just him, his wife, one other Korean and me. He was determined to introduce many kinds of Korean food to the new foreigner who appeared to appreciate it all. Every day a new dish! Kimchi stew, bean stew, bibimbap, red bean porridge, spicy fish soup, spicy cold noodles, buckwheet noodles, tofu stew, pork potato stew, fried fish with a ton of side dishes, leek pancakes, sweet potato stirfried noodles with veggies, ox bone stew, pumpkin porridge, blood sausage, so many dishes over that year. Then i re-signed for a second year and the free meals immediately stopped. A rotation of three to four basic jjigae with side dishes could be ordered if i wanted (and was to pay for). I stayed there the second and a third year - on Geoje - but that first year i most fondly recall.

3. Many hagwons provided homemade kimchi, hot rice and some side dishes. Sone have also cup noodles.

4. The hagwon i'm at now gives a single rice roll, except on Wednesdays a toasted sandwich. That's it. Though about once a month the director takes us all out to lunch somewhere special, often in the academy van a half hour's drive away, to some touristy area, park or just hiking spot. And the lunch is often impressive.

5. It's amazing how often one gets a free meal here. They won't even let you pay often!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2020, 06:43:37 pm »

5. It's amazing how often one gets a free meal here. They won't even let you pay often!
probably because hagwons know they're rinsing you and want you to feel like you are actually not getting ripped off

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 08:46:43 pm »
What is a rice roll?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2020, 01:17:05 am »
What is a rice roll?
Google "Korean rice roll" and immediately you will get a dozen websites with pictures to help you.

In some U.S. states they are called rice rolls, in some "California rolls".

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2020, 08:33:37 am »
Google "Korean rice roll" and immediately you will get a dozen websites with pictures to help you.

In some U.S. states they are called rice rolls, in some "California rolls".

Just...... Just write kimbap, Jesus Christ.

Do you also call it spicy fermented cabbage?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2020, 09:05:34 am »

for someone always bragging about how long he's been in korea, you'd think he'd know the names of basic korean food

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2020, 09:11:59 am »
Yeah, thinking the same. Just say kimbap. I had no idea what a Korean rice roll was. A bit of an eye roll, after googling it.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2020, 12:37:29 pm »
Hold on............. Wait.

sweet potato stirfried noodles with veggies

Is that....... Japchae? Hahahaha c'mon man, Jesus.

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2020, 01:23:28 pm »
Itís now come full circle with a 캘리포니아 롤 shop opening up across the street from our place here. Havenít tried it yet; wonder if itís authentic!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2020, 01:24:25 pm »
Kimchi is an English word. Kimbap isn't.

I teach my students accordingly.

No one in English-speaking countries (all those who don't know Korean) have any idea what a "kimbap" or a "japchae" is.

Kimchi & taekwondo? Yeah, those two words are in the Oxford English dictionary because they are used and known in English-speaking countries.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2020, 01:41:39 pm »
No one in English-speaking countries (all those who don't know Korean) have any idea what a "kimbap" or a "japchae" is.

You........ You understand you're on waygook.org, yeah?

You understand thay Bean Stew sounds ridiculous to everyone here, yeah?

I shared your post with my gf over lunch and she told me to tell you to "stop erasing her culture."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:10:36 pm by VanIslander »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2020, 02:11:10 pm »
Many students cannot answer simple common questions foreigners have when they talk of food.

What is "doenjang jjigae"?

*blank look*

Most students don't know the word "stew" let alone the basic Korean food ingredient SOYBEAN (also for "soy sauce" and "tofu", two other English words they dunno but are staples of Korean dishes!).

I decided long ago to ensure my students can answer those questions.

What's your favorite food?
They don't have to resort to their reduced language of Western food like pizza, chicken or default to rice and kimchi.

Students should be able to say what their favorite food is called (the Korean name) and explain in English what the hell it is!

"I like bulgogi, grilled meat with a sauce." ("Fire meat" is unhelpful)

"My mom likes mayoon tang, spicy fish soup."

"On Korean New Year's holiday I eat dduk guk, Korean rice cake soup."

(Students should learn "rice cake" since the spicy sauce after school snack is so popular.)

Students should be able to describe their culture in English. Learning the English expressions can help them communicate their culture, not erase their culture.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:13:45 pm by VanIslander »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2020, 02:20:06 pm »
You do understand it's Saturday right now, you're not teaching right now, and you're talking to adults who, for the most part, have been here a while?

You do understand that? That we know what doenjang jjigae is?

Please tell me you understand everything I just wrote.

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2020, 03:50:58 pm »

Korea has a spicy fermented cabbage dish?