Read 4191 times

People reacting rudely when you ask for help
« on: November 23, 2020, 06:09:55 pm »
I traveled before in places like Costa Rica or Colombia, where if you look confused even for a couple of seconds, random people around you will approach and warmly ask if you need some help. Also it's pretty common to speak to locals to ask for restaurant or store recommendations, and people are more than happy to give you suggestions

But Korea is the complete opposite. Many times if you ask for help on the street (even in Korean), they will give you the death stare, make an x with their arms, shake their head, etc. I thought it was because they're afraid to speak with foreigners at first, but then my Korean SO also doesn't really ask for help, and has gotten rude reactions before when doing so. Why do people here react so unpleasantly?

Re: People reacting rudely when you ask for help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:56:53 pm »
I traveled before in places like Costa Rica or Colombia, where if you look confused even for a couple of seconds, random people around you will approach and warmly ask if you need some help. Also it's pretty common to speak to locals to ask for restaurant or store recommendations, and people are more than happy to give you suggestions

But Korea is the complete opposite. Many times if you ask for help on the street (even in Korean), they will give you the death stare, make an x with their arms, shake their head, etc. I thought it was because they're afraid to speak with foreigners at first, but then my Korean SO also doesn't really ask for help, and has gotten rude reactions before when doing so. Why do people here react so unpleasantly?

Certain places of the world (particularly larger cities) people are incredibly weary of strangers and you can't really blame them, I'm very suspicious of anyone who wants to casually walk up and chat to me. I'll instinctively take a step back and keep my hands near my pockets to make sure someone else isn't trying to pick my pockets while the stranger distracts me.

Not sure what else to tell you. Perhaps you look kind of intimidating?

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:10:41 pm »
Certain places of the world (particularly larger cities) people are incredibly weary of strangers and you can't really blame them, I'm very suspicious of anyone who wants to casually walk up and chat to me. I'll instinctively take a step back and keep my hands near my pockets to make sure someone else isn't trying to pick my pockets while the stranger distracts me.

Not sure what else to tell you. Perhaps you look kind of intimidating?
Quite the opposite lol. I'm probably the least intimidating looking guy possible :angel:

I grew up in a massive city in NE USA so I'm used to cities being fast paced and not really talkative. That said if you leave the business district in Boston or Philly, people do become a bit friendlier. But in Seoul it feels like even on the very edges people aren't really open

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:02:13 pm »
Quite the opposite lol. I'm probably the least intimidating looking guy possible :angel:

I grew up in a massive city in NE USA so I'm used to cities being fast paced and not really talkative. That said if you leave the business district in Boston or Philly, people do become a bit friendlier. But in Seoul it feels like even on the very edges people aren't really open

Seoul is kind of notorious for that, you're not the first to say that people from Seoul walk with a "Don't talk to me, get away from me, I'm in a hurry, I hate my life." expression on their face.

If I were to point at something distinctly Korean, I'd say it's something Koreans call "Jeong".

Odds are, you'll only find the positive definition of "Jeong" when you ask a Korean what it means or read about it. In it's nicest sense, it sort of means caring for and being sensitive to the needs of those who you've formed a bond with.

The flip side is that those who are not within your inner-circle/clique are viewed with complete indifference. So, the worst of people aren't going to give a crap about inconveniencing strangers (parking illegally, driving like an asshole, cutting in line etc.) because they're not part of their circle. This could explain why nobody wants to talk to or help strangers, Korea is a very cliquey society.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:05:56 pm »

I think we need more data before being able to answer.  Can you give, oh, four or five examples of the kind of help you and/or your Korean SO have asked for that have resulted in unpleasant responses?

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 08:11:41 pm »
Many times if you ask for help on the street (even in Korean), they will give you the death stare, make an x with their arms, shake their head, etc. I thought it was because they're afraid to speak with foreigners

It seems you had the rare misfortune of asking the wrong person for directions, but donít take it to heart; oglop is like that with everybody. Your intuition was dead on, however.

But seriously, does your SO have any insights into it?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:27:15 pm by Don Hobak »

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:52 pm »
It seems you had the rare misfortune of asking the wrong person for directions, but donít take it to heart; oglop is like that with everybody. Your intuition was dead on, however.

But seriously, does your SO have any insights into it?
My SO just shrugs. She gets annoyed by these things as well, but she is probably well used to them by now as she grew up in Seoul

"donít take it to heart"
I wish, but it's easier said than done :((

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 10:37:39 pm »
Just be thankful you don't live in the States where someone you ask directions from will probably be a gang member and pull a gun on you, or the UK where they'll be a football hooligan and hit you over the head with a bottle.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 04:45:19 am »
Just be thankful you don't live in the States where someone you ask directions from will probably be a gang member and pull a gun on you

Totally. Spoken like a guy with some real lived experience.

I was going to say at least theyíre not giving you well-intentioned bad directions, as seems to be the only other alternative when asking for help on the street in Korea.

The reluctance to help people extends far beyond the street however. Reticence to disclose helpful information often extends to people whose duty it is to disclose helpful information, like doctors and managers. My wife is almost pathologically adverse to engaging with strangers on the street. Donít get it and she would be hard pressed to explain it beyond, ďI donít want to bother them,Ē but I feel like it runs much deeper than that. That all said, I hardly think this trait is true of most Koreans, just more than you would expect in a random sample of the population.

But like stoat said, least they ainít poppin no cap in yo ass like they would in nearly every encounter with another human being from Alabama to Wyoming.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 07:32:12 am »
could it be that everyone is scared to death they will die from 'corona'?? I've never had any issues, but I usually try not to ask.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 07:34:40 am »
Just be thankful you don't live in the States where someone you ask directions from will probably be a gang member and pull a gun on you, or the UK where they'll be a football hooligan and hit you over the head with a bottle.
yeah, would you rather get shot in the head or just a little miffed that someone was rude? the entitlement in this thread. OP, do you really think people should get our of THEIR way to help YOU? people don't owe you anything OP