Read 864 times

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
So the real reason posts are deleted on job ads
« on: February 23, 2021, 08:00:21 am »
This should have gone here, I think. 

A little while back someone was asking why posts on job ad threads were being deleted, even if they were just there to be helpful and clarify something that was amiss or even illegal about the job on offer. A helpful mod came on and said comments were deleted to eliminate clutter.  Ok.  But, in the current job posting forum there is an ad for a job in Yangsan near Busan where a number of responses were deleted save one.  And what a coincidence!  This one response that was not deleted (despite the clutter rule) was a subjective thumbs up from a mod of all people.   So, was the "clutter" reason just a load of bullsh*t?  I would hate to think a certain mod abused their authority by going in and deleting all other responses other than their own.   

Or, Waygook could just come clean with the fact that they want some revenue from job postings.  I would expect nothing less from a Korean teaching site.  Make some dough.  Goodness knows that if that shell of a site ESL cafe is cashing in Waygook certainly deserves to.  I would have no problem with comments not being allowed on a job posting as long as people were free to discuss a particular job in another forum.

Of course not allowing any comments that clutter up the ad need to include random "Thumbs Up" endorsements from a mod that obviously doesn't have any special insight into the job.  That would be a double standard and misleading.
Modify message
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:48:53 am by OnNut81 »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: So the real reason posts are deleted on job ads
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:03:47 am »
The one thread in that section with no deleted comments is the one where a jobseeker is the OP. Which prompts me to ask...are hagwons and agencies paying to post their job ads? Not that I would mind or object.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:08:27 am »
The one thread in that section with no deleted comments is the one where a jobseeker is the OP. Which prompts me to ask...are hagwons and agencies paying to post their job ads? Not that I would mind or object.

I don't know, but I guess I just assumed they'd be charged for posting a job.  Especially since they won't allow people (other than VanIslander) to post on the job offered threads.  They should charge something for them in my opinion. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 10:44:52 am »
Insofar as I've been told, recruiting agencies etc don't pay to post job ads.

The adverts, obviously, are paid for. Although.... maybe it's just my blocking add-ons, but I haven't seen any ads here for a while?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 11:07:57 am »
Insofar as I've been told, recruiting agencies etc don't pay to post job ads.

The adverts, obviously, are paid for. Although.... maybe it's just my blocking add-ons, but I haven't seen any ads here for a while?

So if they're not paying for the ads why are comments that are something other than "this job is great" deleted?  I get it if they're paying and that's part of the service but the comments on the Yangsan job weren't stopping anyone from applying for the position.  You can't expect people to create a mirror thread in the Recent Activity forum for every job post.  That's all it would be, then.  Everything else beyond the Potential for Violence thread would be pushed off the page into the void.  There's no upside to censoring comments for a recruiter when they're not shelling out for the ad.  Many of the comments are relevant and helpful to less experienced job seekers. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 11:59:04 am »
I believe this has been discussed elsewhere and if I can find the thread, I'll link it for you

What I think the problem was:

- Certain people would inevitably berate the job posters over perceived low wages / less than ideal work conditions etc.
 - It got pretty heated in a few cases. Names were called, feelings were hurt etc etc.
 - This led to frequent complaints from those who are posting the jobs.
 - Mods agreed to delete comments that were overly critical of posted positions. There was talk of amending the ToS, but I don't think anything came of it.
 - It also led to somewhat closer inspection of job posts: several of them have been removed after comments have pointed out that they were illegal/predatory.

I agree that less experienced job seekers should be made aware of what a basic, decent ESL position looks like. I think creating a super thread regarding work contracts etc might be a good compromise. Linking that thread to job contracts might be a good compromise: jobs can be discussed discretely without having the job posters constantly flagging a million comments to the mods, and done in such a way that it doesn't overwhelm the Recent Activity forum.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 12:17:18 pm »
I believe this has been discussed elsewhere and if I can find the thread, I'll link it for you

What I think the problem was:

- Certain people would inevitably berate the job posters over perceived low wages / less than ideal work conditions etc.
 - It got pretty heated in a few cases. Names were called, feelings were hurt etc etc.
 - This led to frequent complaints from those who are posting the jobs.
 - Mods agreed to delete comments that were overly critical of posted positions. There was talk of amending the ToS, but I don't think anything came of it.
 - It also led to somewhat closer inspection of job posts: several of them have been removed after comments have pointed out that they were illegal/predatory.

I agree that less experienced job seekers should be made aware of what a basic, decent ESL position looks like. I think creating a super thread regarding work contracts etc might be a good compromise. Linking that thread to job contracts might be a good compromise: jobs can be discussed discretely without having the job posters constantly flagging a million comments to the mods, and done in such a way that it doesn't overwhelm the Recent Activity forum.

Thanks.  Yes, I think we all know one person who would jump in with the same issue for any job that offered 2.1.  I can see that getting repetitive and not being constructive for job seekers.  I guess what I'm wondering is, specifically to the job ad I mentioned in Yangsan, why was a mod allowed to go and delete what was a pretty harmless discussion that even contained some praise for the job as a good starting position, but Van Islanders comment was allowed to stand?  That seems like an abusive double standard was applied.  "My comments can stay but yours can't" isn't the kind of moderating one would hope for.  That action is what I'm trying to hold to account. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 12:59:00 pm »
I have no idea what you're talking about.  :angel:

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 01:25:50 pm »
I have no idea what you're talking about.  :angel:

Well, what you have is a Waygook moderator's endorsement being allowed to stand as the only comment on that thread, when obviously they're only qualified to give an opinion.  And any differing opinions were censored. Not very responsible. But, I'm only arguing the point as an exercise in debate really.  If you're going to clear out all the opinions you should clear out all the opinions.  One shouldn't be allowed to remain.  It doesn't make sense as that person does not have any special insight into the job over other posters. However, as they are a mod it smacks of site endorsement. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:30:49 pm by OnNut81 »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 01:33:17 pm »
No, sorry, I shouId've been clearer:
I meant, I have no idea what you mean by Waygook moderator's endorsement allowed to stand.
 :angel:.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 01:36:02 pm »
No, sorry, I shouId've been clearer:
I meant, I have no idea what you mean by Waygook moderator's endorsement allowed to stand.
 :angel:.

HaHa, now that's fair.  Now I'll have to go find something else to argue about as I stare out the window for the remainder of the day. I cannot wait for classes to begin.  And have a schedule finalized.   

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:42:33 pm »
I see Van Islanders comment/endorsement is now gone. I was also scratching my head as to why only his was allowed to remain, although I do understand why my and stoats off topic attempt at puns were deleted.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 02:52:02 pm »
I'm still sore about not being able to have a go at the "Native American F4 visa with traditional western speech" ad. Seriously man, there was so much potential gold there. 

I mean, I understand why. But I say it was crueler to deny us that opportunity than it would have been to have it inflicted upon them.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 03:46:41 pm »
I'm still sore about not being able to have a go at the "Native American F4 visa with traditional western speech" ad. Seriously man, there was so much potential gold there. 

I mean, I understand why. But I say it was crueler to deny us that opportunity than it would have been to have it inflicted upon them.

Yeah, I agree he opened himself up to at least some good-natured mocking with that one. 

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 04:36:19 pm »
Thanks.  Yes, I think we all know one person who would jump in with the same issue for any job that offered 2.1.  I can see that getting repetitive and not being constructive for job seekers.  I guess what I'm wondering is, specifically to the job ad I mentioned in Yangsan, why was a mod allowed to go and delete what was a pretty harmless discussion that even contained some praise for the job as a good starting position, but Van Islanders comment was allowed to stand?  That seems like an abusive double standard was applied.  "My comments can stay but yours can't" isn't the kind of moderating one would hope for.  That action is what I'm trying to hold to account. 

I'm pretty sure Kyndo is trying to tell you that a job posting should only be responded to by people offering a job.  The person isn't posting there saying, "Give me your invaluable opinion on job offers".  They are there just to get job offers, not be swamped with opinions they never asked for.  If they wanted opinions they'd go to the regular forums.

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 06:08:05 pm »
So glad I don't have to deal with the shady Korean job market anymore, or all the seedy gyopos and captive Western enablers who eagerly make the lives of other teachers worse. And there's nothing anyone in Korea can do about it other than hope their job doesn't suck too bad.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 08:03:50 pm »
I'm pretty sure Kyndo is trying to tell you that a job posting should only be responded to by people offering a job.  The person isn't posting there saying, "Give me your invaluable opinion on job offers".  They are there just to get job offers, not be swamped with opinions they never asked for.  If they wanted opinions they'd go to the regular forums.

A person posting a job absolutely does not want to be responded to by other people offering a job.  Perhaps you're confusing this discussion of job postings with people looking for jobs. 

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 07:09:14 pm »
A person posting a job absolutely does not want to be responded to by other people offering a job.  Perhaps you're confusing this discussion of job postings with people looking for jobs. 

Yes, I did misread....but it still holds true.  People posting job offers only need responses from people looking for a job.  It's the same thing on buy and sell forums.  The minute someone posts something people chime in like their professional price watchers.  신경꺼!