Read 662 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Can I download English Microsoft Office from Korea?
« on: November 22, 2020, 12:51:00 am »
Can I download English Microsoft Office from Korea?  I am looking at making a one time purchase possibly as I have an old version on DVD.  But, if I download from the US site, will my computer try to set it up as the Korean version instead of the English version?  I'm obviously not interested in that bs. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Can I download English Microsoft Office from Korea?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 01:17:12 am »
mate have a look on coupang. it's like 4000 won. i am sure you can set it to english when you install it, would be weird it you couldn't

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 06:04:29 am »
You can buy on Ebay too. Dirt cheap they send you a key and you download from the Microsoft Website. Simple.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 08:40:17 am »
You can also call the Microsoft Office in Korea.  I used to do this
to get English Windows before they were fully multilingual. They
have excellent customer service and perfect English ability. The
staff there are vetted to a much higher degree then is normal
for South Korea.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:48:12 am »
You can buy on Ebay too. Dirt cheap they send you a key and you download from the Microsoft Website. Simple.

I know I can download, but because I am in Korea, will it automatically install the Korean version?  I will want the English version, of course.  I don't mind buying a copy eventually.  I just don't want to pay to have some crappy Korean version on my computer. 

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 08:08:39 am »
I know I can download, but because I am in Korea, will it automatically install the Korean version?  I will want the English version, of course.  I don't mind buying a copy eventually.  I just don't want to pay to have some crappy Korean version on my computer.

It's amazing what can be done these days. Language settings can be selected during installation. And even changed later.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 08:15:27 am »

You specify that when you buy it. You want English. I have bought two like this in Taiwan where the language is Mandarin but it came in English.

The Microsoft website is not country specific it is related to your Microsoft account from where you download it  and activate it with the key  sold to you and obviously your Microsoft account will be in English and not Korean.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:17:30 am by confusedsafferinkorea »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 08:15:34 am »
Look on Amazon for folks selling the License Keys for cheap.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 08:18:56 am »
Install the old dvd then use those keys to update it to windows 10, should be able to get it in english. You can also dl and install language packs, which is what I did for my work computer.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 10:31:44 am »
You specify that when you buy it. You want English. I have bought two like this in Taiwan where the language is Mandarin but it came in English.

The Microsoft website is not country specific it is related to your Microsoft account from where you download it  and activate it with the key  sold to you and obviously your Microsoft account will be in English and not Korean.

Thank you.  That is the info I was looking for.  I have the old 2010 DVD I bought at Yongson Electronics market about a decade back.  I will still use for now, but will prob have to upload soon to the 2019 version.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 12:04:36 pm »
Thank you.  That is the info I was looking for.  I have the old 2010 DVD I bought at Yongson Electronics market about a decade back.  I will still use for now, but will prob have to upload soon to the 2019 version.

I think, open to correction, 2018 was the last one you could buy outright, they introduced a subscription based one after that.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 12:10:36 pm »
I think, open to correction, 2018 was the last one you could buy outright, they introduced a subscription based one after that.

I was looking on the website.  They had monthly subscription and also a one time for your own computer copy. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 12:13:48 pm »
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/cart?rtc=1

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/cart?rtc=1

Two one time purchase options.  I just wanted to make sure it would be in English on my computer. 

Guess I could download Windows 10 same time.  (I have Win 8.1.)

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 12:35:53 pm »
Just chatted with agent.  She said, I could set language at settings.  But contact centers don't always give the right information.  So, take it with a grain of salt. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 01:33:29 pm »
Just chatted with agent.  She said, I could set language at settings.  But contact centers don't always give the right information.  So, take it with a grain of salt. 

I think you are over anxious, It's fine to buy online and you can get an English version. Been there, done that and got the suite.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 12:40:42 pm »
I think you are over anxious, It's fine to buy online and you can get an English version. Been there, done that and got the suite.

No, I never downloaded it before.  So, I don't know.  Some other things will try to download the Korean version due to location.  I already have the 2010 DVD Office which I have used for years.  I just wanted to make sure I could get the English version.  It appears I can.  So, it's all good. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 09:35:07 pm »
Some other things will try to download the Korean version due to location

Yes, that can be a bummer, I get that sometimes in Taiwan when it will appear in Mandarin. I got a nice VPN to solve that, Surfshark, dirt cheap and they have a Black Friday special on at the moment, I think it's either 49 of 59 bucks for 27 months (24 months subscription and 3 months free).  I took out mine in April and I took advantage of the Black Friday deal and added it to my existing subscription and I now have Surfshark well into 2024, so I can relax and enjoy it.

I had Express, it is great but pricey and limited to 3 phones/computers per subscription but Surfshark is unlimited in that respect and pretty decent. Never had a connection drop. The only advantage Express had was it worked in China when I was there but Surfshark admit theirs doesn't (they do have a workaround but it is a little hectic), but you don't have to worry about that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:40:16 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »