Read 1113 times

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• November 20, 2020, 01:23:33 am
    • US
Is teaching at hagwons done remotely these days or in-person?
« on: November 20, 2020, 09:10:57 am »

When I look at craiglist it looks like there are a lot of job openings for hagwons. It seems to me that they wouldn't pay for airplane ticket and housing only to have the teachers teach virtually. But in-person seems pretty dangerous too. So how is it done?

I'm not in Korea, but thinking of getting a job at a hagwon.

Re: Is teaching at hagwons done remotely these days or in-person?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 10:35:19 am »
Depends on the location and the local gov't policy which changes almost daily. A few hagwons I know of are going back online, but that is only because of a recent outbreak in our area. So it really varies.

I also don't recommend working in hagwons, unless you have in the past and know what you are getting into. Especially right now with this uptick in cases.

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• US
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 08:48:32 pm »
Do you recommend working at public schools through EPIK etc?
I thought they cut the number of English teachers in public schools a while back.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 11:45:23 am »
Yeah I definitely recommend public school over most hagwons. If you have the credentials and experience international schools are the best.

Jlp is hiring for February.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:37:51 pm by thunderlips »

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• US
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 12:21:29 am »
I just looked into JLP and it sounds nice:
it turns out that the Jeollanamdo Language Program offers the best benefits package of any province in Korea that I am aware of.  Unlike most EPIK teachers, who receive 18 days of paid vacation and hagwon teachers who only get 7-10, JLP teachers receive a whopping 32 days of paid vacation.  JLP is also administratively separate from the rest of EPIK, and runs its own amazing orientation, which I will talk more about below.  In fact, until this year, JLP actually did its own recruiting, separate from the rest of EPIK.  The province has a Canadian regional coordinator who has been living here for 12 years, and is super knowledgeable, helpful, and supportive, and available as a resource to you for the duration of your contract.

JLP does have many quite rural placements.  My roommate from orientation is currently placed on the island of Jindo, for example.  Itís worth noting, however, that Jeollanamdo is relatively small, and you are never more than an hour or two from a city.  The largest city in the province is Gwangju, a vibrant, artsy city of 1.5 million with an international vibe and very interesting and proud history.  Iím lucky enough to be placed within a 40 minute bus ride and 30 minute drive from there, in the town of Nampyeong.  And from Gwangju, itís only a 2-3 hour train ride to Seoul.  Iím also about 15-20 minutes from Naju and Bitgaram, which are smaller cities but with a lot to offer.   The other major cities in the province are Yeosu, Mokpo, and Suncheon. http://goonan.us/adventures/a-happy-accident-my-epik-placement-with-the-jeollanamdo-language-program-jlp/

Do these programs like to hire Gyopos on their F4 visas as well? Or more foreign-looking people?

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• US
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:01 am »
By the way, does everyone wear masks in the classroom and does that interfere with teaching (teacher's voice not clearly heard)?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:35:19 am by Teacheng »

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 05:33:01 am »
Any legal visa is good lots of f4,f6,f5s.

Everyone is supposed to wear a mask legally now but so far not all korean teachers do because.... well Iím not sure why actually.

Jlp has been great.

*vacation days changed to 26 working days but works out almost the same. No more renewal bonus 5 extra days vacation.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 06:41:42 am by thunderlips »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 06:51:48 am »
Those renewal days have been rolled into the 26 days.
It's a package that consists of 5 renewal bonus days, 3 discretionary holiday days, and 18 vacation days.
It is exactly the same as before they made the change except that one no longer needs to split the vacation days 8/10 between summer winter, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how your school wants to schedule vacations.  :undecided:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 07:48:20 am »
Those renewal days have been rolled into the 26 days.
It's a package that consists of 5 renewal bonus days, 3 discretionary holiday days, and 18 vacation days.
It is exactly the same as before they made the change except that one no longer needs to split the vacation days 8/10 between summer winter, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how your school wants to schedule vacations.  :undecided:

Before the change, JLP got 8 / 24 instead of 8 and 10. :(
JLP's used to include weekends but, my school never did. So I lost vacation time over the change. :'(
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:54:17 am by Kayos »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 08:23:38 am »
Ah, bummer. Sorry to hear that!
I'm in Gyeongbuk EPIK, so I got an extra 2 vacation days out of it... ... that and a lot of complaints from friends who, apparently, aren't very good at simple math.  :laugh:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 09:56:28 am »
Ah, bummer. Sorry to hear that!
I'm in Gyeongbuk EPIK, so I got an extra 2 vacation days out of it... ... that and a lot of complaints from friends who, apparently, aren't very good at simple math.  :laugh:

Haha damn, glad you got extra time though! :D
For JLP, we had to include weekends, but we usually had a bonus few days as most of region is considered rural.
I work at a tiny rural school and my principal and co-workers think it's a waste of time me being at school for a lot of the vacation period, so they never used to include weekends (even when I included them on the paperwork haha)

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 10:19:02 am »
Haha damn, glad you got extra time though! :D
For JLP, we had to include weekends, but we usually had a bonus few days as most of region is considered rural.
I work at a tiny rural school and my principal and co-workers think it's a waste of time me being at school for a lot of the vacation period, so they never used to include weekends (even when I included them on the paperwork haha)

If you have your own private office in a rural area, you could come in late, take an extra long lunch break, and then go home early.  I know of places where folks got much of the time off unofficially and didn't have to desk warm.  Then, I know of other places where the teacher had to go in during the morning and then got sent home after lunch.  Some schools even ordered in lunch for them and the staff.  I think the bigger of a city you are in, the more they enforce the all day desk warming rule. 

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• US
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 11:20:55 am »
If you have your own private office in a rural area, you could come in late, take an extra long lunch break, and then go home early.  I know of places where folks got much of the time off unofficially and didn't have to desk warm.  Then, I know of other places where the teacher had to go in during the morning and then got sent home after lunch.  Some schools even ordered in lunch for them and the staff.  I think the bigger of a city you are in, the more they enforce the all day desk warming rule.

That sounds like good work balance. How many hours a day of work do they give you usually?

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• US
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 11:32:38 pm »

I also don't recommend working in hagwons, unless you have in the past and know what you are getting into. Especially right now with this uptick in cases.
Do you mean that it's easier to get covid in hagwons than public schools?
Do public schools do more online teaching than hagwons?

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• US
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 11:56:33 pm »
I went to Korvia (https://www.korvia.com/) to apply, and I'm seeing EPIK, SMOE, GOE, GEPIK but not JLP.

By the way, what is the pay like for public schools? Do JLP pay more than others?

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 08:02:32 am »
Do you mean that it's easier to get covid in hagwons than public schools?
Do public schools do more online teaching than hagwons?

No. What I meant was some people have been laid off because of their hagwon having to close and losing students. Some hagwons have transitioned to online, but I've heard lots of stories of people not getting full pay.
Public schools on the other hand will honor their contracts.

Also hagwons are notorious for illegal and unethical dealings. I'm sure we'll get some people refuting this because their hagwon is great, but the vast majority of them are scammers with no real passion for education. Read some of the horror stories posted on this site asking for help/advice.

JLP is being hired through EPIC now, unfortunately.

• gotngoidea
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 09:15:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 08:14:31 am »
That sounds like good work balance. How many hours a day of work do they give you usually?

I work at 4 schools. 3 rural and 1 city. Everyone's situation is different.
My timetable is: Monday 5 classes (4:1 at 2 schools), Tuesdays 4 classes, Wednesday 2 classes + 2 after school classes, Thursday 4 classes, Friday 5 classes = 22 hours

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• US
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 11:24:59 am »
The region of Jeollanamdo has been looking to make cuts to it's native teacher list as recently as this summer where they were looking to trim the number of NETs to around 1/3rd of their current number. It affected those on summer contracts way more than February starters and caused some unease among teachers there.
With that being said, the situation now looks a bit rosier as they're expecting a big intake to account for the last two smaller ones. So perhaps things have gone back to normal there. https://www.reddit.com/r/teachinginkorea/comments/iz4gvc/jlp_jeollanamdo_language_program_how_to_apply/

If JLP cut the number of NETs to 1/3, does that mean it will be a lot harder to get hired?
I think I saw somewhere that starting pay is 1.8 mil per month. Is that right?

• Teacheng
  • Waygookin

• US
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 11:26:18 am »
If JLP cut the number of NETs to 1/3, does that mean it will be a lot harder to get hired?
I think I saw somewhere that starting pay is 1.8 mil per month. Is that right?
That's not bad.
How much time do you have to spend on preparing for classes? I hope it isn't too much.

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 11:28:11 am »
That's not bad.
How much time do you have to spend on preparing for classes? I hope it isn't too much.

Varies depending on school; elementary, middle, high. Also by area city vs rural. How often do you see the students? etc.

Me I reuse my old lessons and adjust as neccessary. I can usually get the whole semester squared away during the breaks.

JLP starts at 2.0 at 3rd level.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:31:24 am by thunderlips »