Read 1566 times

Re: Have you noticed nobody cares about fine dust any more?
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 12:27:01 pm »
No correlation indeed!
The air quality is always bad when it's unseasonably warm. Which means that air masses are moving in from where they aren't supposed to during this time of the year.
Also, the air has been completely still for the past several days.

Makes sense. You're right, the weather's unusually warm today so that's likely what's happening.
Generally speaking, I believe that when you cram 50mil people into a tiny peninsula and it's a developed nation, the air pollution is going to be significant mainly as a result of Korea's own appetite for electricity.

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 12:28:09 pm »
My school also can't use air purifiers because of corona but we try are best to deal with it. Also, I definitely have mine turned on at home. Sometimes, I experience chest pain due to the fine dust. Doctors told me it is an allergic reaction to the pollution. Which sucks but I get even more paranoid about chest pain nowadays because of corona.

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 12:31:35 pm »
Makes sense. You're right, the weather's unusually warm today so that's likely what's happening.
Generally speaking, I believe that when you cram 50mil people into a tiny peninsula and it's a developed nation, the air pollution is going to be significant mainly as a result of Korea's own appetite for electricity.

The mountains also probably don't help. Idk about South Korea's geography, but I used to live in the Salt Lake valley and the air quality there was always pretty shit thanks to inversions

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 12:39:50 pm »
any purifier recommendations? i wanna get an extra one at home

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 12:48:05 pm »
I do usually get some kind of flu like bad allergic reaction if I am exposed to the air during the transition time in March and November.  Can't go out and be active cycling hiking etc.  Also if I am in a school with a high floor, I have to keep windows closed too or I get this sickness.  Not sure if it's pollution, dust or something else.  It has something to do between the hot and the cold extremes between night and day.  Starts going near 0 overnight and below it or starts going above it and warming up.  If I catch it here, the next 3 weeks sinus headaches and sore throat.  Flu like symptoms when it isn't.  I am not necessarily sensitive to pollution year round though.  Wearing masks and closing windows this time helps.  Some schools not enforcing the open window while some are. 

I do have cat allergy and dust allergy.  Overall nothing much else.  I had some minor seasonal allergies, but not too bad.  This thing here during the transition period (March, November) is the worst which I never experienced until here.  I have to be careful to avoid heavy exercise outdoors at this time and to keep windows closed.  Weird stuff here. 

Teachers room in afternoon can close window and run air filter.  Actually other teachers are. 

Unrelated, make sure if you have kids not to give them a sterile environment.  They need to be exposed to some germs and bacteria.  So, they can be more immune to allergies.  Though, you'll have to do your own research on that. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 01:11:09 pm »
Stable high pressure areas tend to be stagnant and dry, which prevents the dissipation of local pollutants.
Clear and cloudless skies are usually signs of a high pressure system.
The "weight" of the atmosphere has very little affect on pollution, per se. It's correlative, not causative.
Stagnant? As in not windy. That is a separate factor. Dry? The humidity level isn't why.

The high air pressure is CAUSALLY about the amount of nitrogen and oxygen atoms in the air; the DENSITY limiting ("trapping") air pollutants from rising (also preventing evaporation).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:12:42 pm by VanIslander »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2020, 01:52:11 pm »
Stagnant? As in not windy. That is a separate factor. Dry? The humidity level isn't why.

The high air pressure is CAUSALLY about the amount of nitrogen and oxygen atoms in the air; the DENSITY limiting ("trapping") air pollutants from rising (also preventing evaporation).
What you're saying is accurate, but density isn't exactly the direct reason why high pressure systems are correlated with days of high ppt.

Large high pressure systems cause build ups of pollution because they tend to suppress air movement at their base (ie surface winds).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticyclone#Surface-based_systems

More locally, inversions are caused by large bodies of air of different temperatures (and thus densities). The differences in temperature (and therefor density) of the air prevents the trapped cold air from moving and mixing with the rest of the atmosphere (convection), which causes pollutants to accrue. But it's the temperature and humidity that's causative of the density
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)

And yes, humidity *can* have direct effects on levels of atmospheric pollution: high humidity can result in precipitation that can flush pollution out of the air. And if it doesn't wash it out, it can actually increase how much crap any given volume  of air can actually hold.

Off topic, but seeing if you're from BC, I wonder if you had any of the same profs as me (I also majored in Climatology. I went to SFU, but a lot of those profs jumped back and forth among the big three unis). I'd give you their names, except the only one I can remember was from one of the youngest profs who might be just a wee bit after your time. She was totally gun-ho for field trips and since she also taught geomorphology, half the trips she'd get completely sidetracked having us look at moraines and stuff.  :laugh:

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2020, 02:29:00 pm »
any purifier recommendations? i wanna get an extra one at home

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-air-purifier/

Funny enough, even though Coway is a Korean company, I couldnít find either of the Wirecutterís top recommendations here when I was in the market for one. We ended up buying the Winix 5500-2. Seems to work? Haha. Hard to tell, so Iím really just taking them at their word  :police:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 02:40:57 pm »
Serious question. When the dust is bad outside, does it make any sense to dry your laundry inside rather than outside? I feel like not. Indoor air pollution is already worse than outdoor pollution, and unless you have a powerful air purifier in your home, the outdoor air being of lower quality is only going to worsen the indoor air quality as well. Plus the laundry will take longer to dry, and there are more opportunities for it to absorb smells if dried indoors.

Honestly not sure but, I don't have the space to dry them outside. I have a room that I dry my laundry in though, and it has a nice air flow - syncs up almost perfectly with another window on the opposite side of the house. I also have 2 air purifiers now, and keep one in the laundry drying room, and the other in my bedroom.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 02:53:22 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-air-purifier/

Funny enough, even though Coway is a Korean company, I couldnít find either of the Wirecutterís top recommendations here when I was in the market for one. We ended up buying the Winix 5500-2. Seems to work? Haha. Hard to tell, so Iím really just taking them at their word  :police:
Yeah that's the problem. It's kind of hard to know if they are any good or work well. Hmm

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2020, 05:41:11 pm »
If it's a well-known brand that uses HEPA filters, it's good to use. You can technically make one of your own using a fan, but it'll be a lot more noisy and won't have all of the other convenient features. Also, unless it's a big industrial fan, it's not going to have a lot of area coverage. It's more for being extra support on really bad pollution days, especially if you or a family member is extra sensitive to the pollution.

I personally use Winix because it's a decent local mid-range brand with filters that are easy to get, but if you're willing to spend you can get Blue Air (foreign brand, but there aren't a lot of other brands out there that can beat it without going industrial), or one of the pricier local brands. LG makes a pretty snazzy one that is super quiet. Costs over 1m for the big one. The one that's half its size is around 700-800k won, I think? And then they make a little rinky-dink one that's part of the same line and looks kind of like a hat box that's... I think around 300k.

The pricier brands are overkill for me, but I'll admit that they are so much more quiet at higher speeds and cover a larger area than mine can.

A lot of people also love Xiaomi. Cheaper than Winix, still easy to get filters, and gets the job done. You can also control them with an app.

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 12:53:20 pm »
The air quality in Northeast Asia is always bad and will always be bad as long as there is
ignorance, as long as the Chinese have their domineering influence, and as long as there
is a high population density.

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 01:08:01 pm »
A lot of people also love Xiaomi. Cheaper than Winix, still easy to get filters, and gets the job done. You can also control them with an app.

I'm one of those people, It very much gets the job done and I love that I can put it on with the app before arriving home.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2020, 05:43:33 am »
HEPA + charcoal filter = all bases covered.

I paid 500,000 won for an LG unit and it has worked like a charm for years!

Having to order replacements online instead of picking them up at the LG store just down the street has been the only annoyance.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 06:58:22 am »
Thank goodness for this rain! The AQI was getting so bad that I was seriously considering wearing a mask when heading outdoors.  :shocked:

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2020, 07:45:04 am »
I was seriously considering wearing a mask when heading outdoors

hmmmmmmmmm

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2020, 08:07:11 am »
 :wink:

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2020, 01:00:16 pm »
*Eyeroll*

Just because you dumb babies can't understand Korean doesn't mean people aren't talking about/are concerned about the situation.

They talk about it on the ****** TV pretty regularly at the moment.  Just the other day they were reporting on a satellite they sent up to monitor fine dust and were showing images showing it is pretty serious right across NE Asia at the moment. Another day they had a guy reporting from Beijing on the regional dimensions of the issue.

Yeah there seems to be something of blindspot about domestic sources of pollution (which you can see on the radar some days, other days it actually is coming from China) but it's a long way from the premise of the thread. (OP is, say, TOPIK 2,  3 on a good day?)
oo oo ahh ahh