Read 1443 times

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Ain't America great?
« on: November 13, 2020, 03:40:46 am »
Where else can you get a free dinner for coming to your senses?

A Louisville restaurant is offering free food for Trump supporters in what the owners say is an attempt to extend an olive branch following Joe Biden's win over the weekend.

The only catch? Customers need to turn in their Trump merchandise — flags, T-shirts, hats — to get the free entrée, side and drink at Pollo - A Gourmet Chicken Joint at 1991 Brownsboro Road.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/09/louisville-restaurant-giving-food-trump-supporters-who-turn-merch/6224083002/

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
Re: Ain't America great?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 07:28:52 am »
Not happening.

"President Donald Trump may lose reelection, but if the nail-biter contest of 2020 has shown anything, it’s that 'Trumpism' is here to stay.

"As a political agenda divorced from the more controversial aspects of his personality and style, Trumpism is part Reagan Republicanism – lower taxes, less government regulation, cultural conservatism – plus a pivot toward a hard line on immigration and an 'America First' approach to foreign policy. It’s also infused with old-fashioned populism, in its appeal to Americans who feel forgotten by the powerful."
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2020/1105/Why-Trumpism-is-here-to-stay

Trumpism will be the gold standard in politics for years to come. A free meal isn't going to change that. Dream on.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 07:45:21 am »
gold standard... i want to vomit
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 08:56:26 am »
he's probably right, unfortunately

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 09:15:46 am »
he's probably right, unfortunately

On the bright side, that means there’s still a chance it will destroy the Republican Party, if it doesn’t destroy America first, that is. It’s gotta be one or the other.

For now, Senate Republicans are especially leery of crossing Mr. Trump before the two Georgia runoffs on Jan. 5 that will determine control of the chamber, realizing they must mobilize Mr. Trump’s base without him on the ballot. There are fears that Mr. Trump might attack either Senator Kelly Loeffler or Senator David Perduefor being insufficiently loyal.

Both senators signed an unusual joint statement calling for the resignation of the Republican secretary of state in Georgi, a move widely interpreted as currying Mr. Trump’s favor.

“It’s pretty clear that the president doesn’t give a damn about the Senate majority or those two senators, so they know it would not be anything to turn on them and crush turnout,” said Brendan Buck, who served as a top adviser to the last two Republican House speakers, Paul D. Ryan and John A. Boehner. “We’ve always been talking about how the president has taken over the party. But here is an example where is he holding base G.O.P. voters hostage to force Republicans to participate in his charade.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Senator Chris Murphy, Democrat of Connecticut, said Republican fealty to Mr. Trump revealed that the party was “now a full-on cult of personality.”

“I think they understand that Trump will continue to dominate their politics for the next decade and they’ve all made a decision that they can’t survive personally if they get crosswise with him,” he said. “That’s a devastating development for our country.”
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:40:20 am by Don Hobak »

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 12:09:47 pm »
On the bright side, that means there’s still a chance it will destroy the Republican Party, if it doesn’t destroy America first, that is. It’s gotta be one or the other.

The Republican Party can't die from lack of consistency, morals, etc. because it never really had those things to begin with. Ever since the neocons took charge its basically just a coalition of random capitalists that think social programs bad

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 01:03:03 pm »
The Republican Party can't die from lack of consistency, morals, etc. because it never really had those things to begin with. Ever since the neocons took charge its basically just a coalition of random capitalists that think social programs bad

I would be hesitant to draw such a broad conclusion.  I don’t believe in any religion at all and I have never voted Republican, but I know people who support the Republican Party because of opposition to choice.  I think they are wrong, but this part of the Republican coalition is not utterly indecent.

As far as neocons go, the Democratic Party seems to be freezing people like Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, and AOC out of power as much as possible.  I am curious about Warren because I could see her being co-opted.  The Democratic leadership seems to prefer running campaigns primarily through media rather than face-to-face.  When I went home earlier this year, Michael Bloomberg’s army of well paid campaign workers  and supporters of Sanders seemed to be the only Democrats with campaigns you could see on the ground.  The rest seemed to be mostly sending texts and some calls.

I not trying to draw a false equivalence.  I would be careful about categorizing the Republican Party as the neoconservative party.  It could imply the Democratic Party, supporters of the Lincoln Project and various W. alumni, is not a neoconservative party.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:04:51 pm by hippo »

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 01:12:49 pm »
I would be careful about categorizing the Republican Party as the neoconservative party.  It could imply the Democratic Party, supporters of the Lincoln Project and various W. alumni, is not a neoconservative party.

The Republicans are the neoconservative party because they admit to being neoconservatives. The Democratic elite mask it by pretending to care about social issues. But yeah, there isn't much functional difference between the two.

Love how Warren stabbed Bernie in the back and didn't even get a cabinet appointment lmao

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 01:17:01 pm »
The Republicans are the neoconservative party because they admit to being neoconservatives. The Democratic elite mask it by pretending to care about social issues. But yeah, there isn't much functional difference between the two.

Love how Warren stabbed Bernie in the back and didn't even get a cabinet appointment lmao

I thought the hardcore neocons were the new never Trumpers.  Cheney, Kasich, and others not voting for Trump or ever supporting him.  They want to get rid of Trump so they can go back to endless wars.  The billionaires and hedge fund managers gave in overwhelming droves to the Democrats in 2020.  They gave very little to Trump this year.  I never heard Democrats talk about working class people at all during the election and promise them jobs.  Just boutique politics. 

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 01:21:01 pm »
I thought the hardcore neocons were the new never Trumpers.

This is true, but the key word here is never Trump (rather than never Trumpism). The problem with Trump to these people was never with what he was saying but how he said it. Cheney and Kasich I don't think are doing anything but there's some younger blood in the party that will be able to co-opt and ride the Trumpsim wave.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 01:24:42 pm »
This is true, but the key word here is never Trump (rather than never Trumpism). The problem with Trump to these people was never with what he was saying but how he said it. Cheney and Kasich I don't think are doing anything but there's some younger blood in the party that will be able to co-opt and ride the Trumpsim wave.

That's a fake excuse on the surface.  But endless outsourcing of jobs, endless wars, endless corruption, endless kowtowing to the hedge fund managers are things neocons love.  They hate Trump for opposing those things, renegotiating trade deals, and trying to bring back jobs.   Not everything of course, but many things with Trump are traditional Democratic policies.  When he said similar things as a private citizen in the 1980's, many Democrats wanted him to "come home" and run for them. 

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 01:28:47 pm »
The Democratic Party is more NeoConservative these days than the Republicans. You still have a decently-sized NeoCon wing (Haley) plus traditional tax-cut conservatives (McConnell) and Evangelocons (Pence), but the writing is on the wall- Trumpism (or Neo-Trumpism) is the way forward if they want to win elections. NeoCons are toxic. Tax-cut and Evangelical conservatives are too narrow a coalition.

Future GOP platform that would win- Indifferent on abortion and gay issues, but strident against some of the more extreme positions that touch on those things. Anti-PC and Cancel Culture, Criminal Justice Reform yet tough on crime (a tricky stance), Pro-Cold War vs. China (assuming current Chinese leadership trajectory), Isolationist, De-regulation, pro-innovation in regards to issues such as health care, education, and the environment (A sort of free-market Andrew Yangism), flexible on UBI and Health Care (Oppose it up until you can brand it as your own, then maybe be for it), relatively pro-labor, Big Tech busting.

Do all of that and take away Trump's defects of character and get someone with some charisma and you landslide an election and get 25% of the black vote, 45% of the Latino vote and 60% of the white vote. You get women at 46-54 and men at 65-35. You get 65+ at 50%, 40-60 at 60%, 30-40 at 45% and 18-30 at 35%.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 01:39:07 pm »
That's a fake excuse on the surface.  But endless outsourcing of jobs, endless wars, endless corruption, endless kowtowing to the hedge fund managers are things neocons love.  They hate Trump for opposing those things, renegotiating trade deals, and trying to bring back jobs.   Not everything of course, but many things with Trump are traditional Democratic policies.  When he said similar things as a private citizen in the 1980's, many Democrats wanted him to "come home" and run for them.

Trump wasn't able to actually make good on any of those promises though, and they knew it. People rarely stand up to the Washington war machine once in office.

I'm sure they'd be willing to a concede a few things and maintain the illusion of populism while really adhering to the same old same old

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 01:45:16 pm »
A great gimmick, that'll learn 'em.
oo oo ahh ahh