Read 1650 times

• rorio82
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 07:33:05 am
    • Korea
Hello everyone,

So for the past four months I've been living in the sticks (a small farm town approximately 5 thousand people), and life is fine.  Its really quiet, I'm close to my school (10 minute walk), and I have a large two bedroom apartment with an accessible roof.  Its nice to have a large apartment but I really don't use it and heating it was a total pain.  The town is quiet, and there isn't anything to do.  I was told today by the admins in the school office that my lease will run out at the end of the month.  They told me I could renew, or I could go somewhere else.   

So please share your opinions on what you would do in this situation. 

thanks for the input, and have a great day!

• korr
  • Expert Waygook

• July 16, 2009, 12:35:46 pm
I live in a small city and work in one of the rural schools. My commute is about 30-50 minutes each way (walking and buses), so put together I'm away from home for at least 10 and often 11 hours.

I love my city neighborhood, but I absolutely wish I lived in the rural town. I don't usually do anything after school anyway because I'm so tired from the commute, and I can't get up early to exercise because of when I need to catch the bus. The town has most of the shopping I'd need on the weekdays, I could still get dinner with my friends if I really wanted to, and everything else could wait until the weekend.

That said, my situation's a little different than yours might be. My town has about 15,000 people and a small intercity bus terminal, I speak some Korean, and there's about 40 buses going from my town to the city every day. You sound more isolated. I'd still factor in the commute though, because it takes a HUGE chunk of time.

• wtg
  • Waygookin

• September 16, 2010, 11:06:16 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
It really depends on which is more important to you. You say you like it in your area anyways so why not stay? Being close to school is convenient, plus you get more time to sleep in. If you moved to a  bigger area, the pros would be that there is more to do and see which would be good/ The con is getting ready earlier and the long commute. If i were to choose, i'd move to the city, because there is only so much that you can do in a little town.

• superjo2092
  • Adventurer

• April 26, 2011, 08:17:36 am
    • Gwangju, Korea
It's a tough call.  I'm in a similar situation.  I live in Gwangju, but have to commute to three different farming community towns.  With waiting for a transfer, three days a week it takes me one and a half hours to get to my school.  The school got me an apartment in Gwangju, I didn't really have any say.  My solution is to buy a car and just freely drive to work everyday.  Touch decision, kid.  I must say, though, that I am thankful to live in Gwangju, crazy-long commute and all.
"-Isms in my opinion are not good.  A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself.  I quote John Lennon, 'I don't believe in Beatles.  I just believe in me.'  A good point there.  After all, he was the walrus.  I could be the walrus, I'd still have to bum rides off of people."

• shipcow0
  • Explorer

• March 10, 2011, 03:17:51 pm
    • seoul, Korea
If you are young, I would like to recommend you to move to a larger town in order to go though many things. This will richen your life. Of course short distance between your home and school is a big benefit. However you can be happier by making after school life more dynamic and diverse.

• assah
  • Adventurer

• April 19, 2011, 09:48:18 am
    • South Korea
I think it's worth moving to a bigger city. In my situation, I used the clause in my GEPIK contract to find my own place and with some help I found a sweet place in Gangnam, Seoul. My commute's about an hour everyday, but it's not exhausting at all. I get a lot of reading done on the bus. On the weekends I don't have to go all the way to Seoul to meet friends and catch the last bus back to my city. If I were you I'd go for it. It's so much more exciting living in a big city.

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
All the above posters have good points. Really it's about what *you* prefer. I teach in the sticks, and I live in a city (full hour bus ride, woohoo). If I can try to say it delicately, I HATE living in the city. It's not this city in particular, I just don't like 'city'. I don't do the nightlife scene and I miss having trees and grass and a view of things not concrete, glass, or neon. However, it's easy to go grocery shopping, and I can walk to the intercity bus terminal. So I plan on sticking it out- it's not like I can't survive in the city, I just prefer country living. If I had been set up in the sticks though, near my school, I'd probably just stay with it as well. If you dislike country living, there are a lot of perks to living in the city (again: nightlife, cabs and other public transportation, better shopping selection, etc etc).

You sound like you would get much more use of city life than a person like me, so I'd go for it, since it's a convenient time. Riding the bus isn't so terrible- catch up on reading, listen to podcasts, or take a nap.