Read 10200 times

• Amswein1
  • Waygookin

• January 27, 2020, 02:47:04 pm
    • California
Re: Is it insane to leave Korea right now?
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2020, 11:41:05 pm »
In all honesty things are not looking good for America right now. They have NO grip on the virus, and now with a new president who actually wants to do something about, it will take time as he has a lot of catching up to do.
And I will tell you a brutal truth. America will most likely hit an even worse economic down turn come mid 2021.

America still has a shortage of PPE, and with everything that has happened (the elections, the riots, the protests, and natural disasters...) They will be seeing an even higher surge in cases.

They haven't been checking people flying in internationally, they don't enforce quarantine or self isolation, schools are an absolute spreading ground,  and medical care is a joke.

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2020, 12:19:05 am »
Another relative of mine just got it.  I just finished talking to her.  They had one week off before they had to return to work.  Not even two full weeks.   Not that it matters, but they are not at an essential job.  Also, they work around tons of other people.  They can't work from home.  They're on an assembly line.  And other people have had it at their workplace.  On top of that, because of shitty worker protection laws and lack of a union, she had to use some of her vacation time to get more time off.  She is still feeling sick.

She has consistently told me she always wears a mask around other people.  If you are in a factory, there is still going to be plenty of exposure even with a mask.  She cannot spend time with her grandchildren.  Some of my other relatives have had to quarantine because they have been around her and presumably some of her friends have had to as well though I did not ask.  I mainly just listened. 

My other relatives all tested negative, but the tests are not 100% effective, as I am sure you know.  They told me it took a long time to get results.  They need to talk about the speed at which they are returning test results in addition to the questionable talking points about the number of tests the US doing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:29:42 am by hippo »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2020, 03:11:47 am »
They're using containers for storing dead bodies in Texas.

But according to LI, it's all good.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2020, 06:11:20 am »
Itís not good. Itís sad. Best for people to strengthen their immune system to increase their chance of survival. How many are doing that though? Not many because they think all they could do to protect themselves is wear a mask and stay away from others, not knowing that going outside to get sunlight will help their vitamin d deficiency. The better health, the less affected by coronavirus one will be. Yes, health weakens with age, but there is still much that can be done to mitigate the inexorable decline.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2020, 06:25:01 am »
beep bop superioritycomplex. exe loading

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2020, 06:34:10 am »
He's making a fair point. Doctors in the UK have been telling people to lose weight to reduce their chances of dying from COVID.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2020, 07:05:20 am »
Itís not good. Itís sad. Best for people to strengthen their immune system to increase their chance of survival. How many are doing that though? Not many because they think all they could do to protect themselves is wear a mask and stay away from others, not knowing that going outside to get sunlight will help their vitamin d deficiency. The better health, the less affected by coronavirus one will be. Yes, health weakens with age, but there is still much that can be done to mitigate the inexorable decline.
But what about the decline of one's mental faculties? Maybe you should look into that.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2020, 08:25:34 am »
He's making a fair point. Doctors in the UK have been telling people to lose weight to reduce their chances of dying from COVID.
yes but he's said the same thing in 4489325689425789 other comments

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2020, 09:01:45 am »
yes but he's said the same thing in 4489325689425789 other comments

Thatís just it. Everyone is aware that being overweight is generally unhealthy and itís no surprise to anyone that obesity is associated with higher rates of morbidity and mortality. Covid just adds one more to the list. Also, anyone who can do simple arithmetic understands that the more calories you eat, the more weight you will gain. Most people do not want to be overweight, including overweight people, so if beating the obesity epidemic were as simple as eating less, it would have been won by now. Likewise, if fat-shaming were an effective obesity-fighting tool, obesity would have been long vanquished. If no one wants to be obese, everyone knows that excess calorie intake leads to obesity, and yet there is still obesity, you have to figure there are other factors at play here beyond the individual choice to engorge oneself,  cultural and systemic factors that work against the urge everyone has to maintain a healthy weight. Lifer, if you really want to help people lose weight and be healthy, you should start a campaign against Santa Claus for creating an unattainable cultural archetype of a contented fat person. He has very little to ďho ho hoĒ about as he would have died long ago of heart failure.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:05:11 am by Don Hobak »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2020, 09:15:02 am »
everyone knows eating unhealthy food makes you fat, that drinking alcohol isn't healthy, that getting enough sun is healthy, exercising regularly is good, or that living in a polluted city like seoul isn't as good as living somewhere with clean air.

these things don't need to be repeated over and over. this is all obvious. constantly "informing" people about these things just makes you look like a smug prick

"look at this moron drinking a beer. DOESN'T HE KNOW BEER IS UNHEALTHY AND KILLS BRAIN CELLS? WHAT AN IDIOT FOR DOING SUCH A THING"

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2020, 09:30:25 am »

these things don't need to be repeated over and over

Unfortunately, as long as there's a body positivity movement going on, they probably do. Also i can bet there's a whole load of obese people here and in the States who are unaware of , or choose to deny any connection between their weight and increased vulnerability to Covid That's just the way a lot of people are. But I agree, it doesn't have to be Li bot doing it. Wasn't he the one who kept going on about pollution all the time? I guess the silence on that topic is one benefit of Covid.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 10:24:33 am by stoat »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2020, 10:37:06 am »
everyone knows eating unhealthy food makes you fat, that drinking alcohol isn't healthy, that getting enough sun is healthy, exercising regularly is good, or that living in a polluted city like seoul isn't as good as living somewhere with clean air.

these things don't need to be repeated over and over. this is all obvious.
1. What is unhealthy food? Tons of people think chicken (baked or boiled, lean, not fried) and eggs are healthy kinds of food. The science doesn't support it. There is a clear dose-dependent linear relationship between egg consumption and mortality. Yet, with alcohol, there is a j-curve relationship (due in part to the reduction in coronary disease deaths and blockage-type strokes with 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day consumption.

2. Do many people really realize the importance of sun exposure? The fear over skin cancer is overblown in the West, and skin color is to be ideally pale in the East. Heck, the science shows the best time to get sunlight is midday (because the ratio of good UV rays to bad UV rays is best). Be outside for 30-60 minutes at noon rather than 2.hours of weaker exposure in early mornings and late afternoons. Also, people covet windows with bright "natural light" yet glass repels the good UV light but admits the bad UV.

3. Running is a relatively unhealthy form of exercise. Scientific studies.of marathoners, joggers and athletes show increased risks of cardiac arrest, independent of weight or activity level.

4. Air pollution. Yeah that is bad but do most people realize the heart attack and stroke risk of living near a busy road?

5. "Everyone knows" squat.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 10:39:48 am by VanIslander »

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2020, 10:59:57 am »
3. Running is a relatively unhealthy form of exercise. Scientific studies.of marathoners, joggers and athletes show increased risks of cardiac arrest, independent of weight or activity level.

Would love a link to the study that corroborates this rubbish claim.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2020, 11:05:47 am »
1. What is unhealthy food? Tons of people think chicken (baked or boiled, lean, not fried) and eggs are healthy kinds of food. The science doesn't support it. There is a clear dose-dependent linear relationship between egg consumption and mortality. Yet, with alcohol, there is a j-curve relationship (due in part to the reduction in coronary disease deaths and blockage-type strokes with 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day consumption.

2. Do many people really realize the importance of sun exposure? The fear over skin cancer is overblown in the West, and skin color is to be ideally pale in the East. Heck, the science shows the best time to get sunlight is midday (because the ratio of good UV rays to bad UV rays is best). Be outside for 30-60 minutes at noon rather than 2.hours of weaker exposure in early mornings and late afternoons. Also, people covet windows with bright "natural light" yet glass repels the good UV light but admits the bad UV.

4. Air pollution. Yeah that is bad but do most people realize the heart attack and stroke risk of living near a busy road?

5. "Everyone knows" squat.
1. quite obviously i was referring to excessively eating mcdonalds or pizza.
2. true but i'm pretty sure most educated people know you need vitamin d
3. utter tripe
4. not sure what your point is
5. ironic, seeing as your post is full of nonsense itself

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2020, 11:08:20 am »

It's like LI with the obesity. We get it, you have a chicken phobia.

Guess what: nothing is healthy if you consume tons of it...

I lost a Korean friend because I cited a scientific study that showed a dose-dependent relationship between egg consumption and mortality.

Same to the scientific research which shows a dose-dependent direct correlation between egg consumption and mortality.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:37:21 am by Lazio »

« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2020, 11:12:30 am »
Unfortunately, as long as there's a body positivity movement going on, they probably do.

Of course! I knew the PC liberal elite must have been behind the obesity epidemic somehow  ;D

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2020, 11:47:43 am »
Unfortunately, as long as there's a body positivity movement going on, they probably do.
not on the same website, in the same threads, by the same person. that's my only real gripe.

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2020, 11:57:57 am »

This is what happens when someone watches too many SJW bashing Youtubers, you begin to believe that 'body positivity', 'militant feminism', 'flat-earthers', 'gender identity activists' etc. make up the majority of society. These people are a very loud, but very tiny minority. Content creators milk the crap out of these issues because people love to watch stupid people as it gives them a sense of superiority.

The real world is actually pretty mellow. The vast majority of women aren't going to call the cops on you for saying "Good morning." and the body positivity isn't even remotely responsible for the obesity issues.

People are obese because they have an eating disorder, that's it.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2020, 12:12:55 pm »

these things don't need to be repeated over and over. this is all obvious. constantly "informing" people about these things just makes you look like a smug prick

FIFY

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2020, 12:15:05 pm »
People are obese because they have an eating disorder, that's it.
For the majority of obese folk that might be accurate, but it's also a gross over-simplification.
Hypothyroidism, diabetes, leptin deficiency, and a myriad of genetic disorders can affect one's weight, as can various anti-depressants, contraceptives, anticonvulsants, blood-pressure medications etc.