Read 49246 times

Re: Potential for Violence
« Reply #480 on: January 19, 2021, 09:28:56 am »
Homo sapien thinking: Believing that because something is bigger, it is less sensitive to things and must need a bigger dose, and that the primary effect will be on the eyes, not realizing that for many animals, scent is their dominant sense and they are hyper-sensitive to it.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #481 on: January 19, 2021, 09:37:47 am »
Seriously, why are you trying to overhype this? Are you really that afraid or just that desperate to score political points?
I agree that it's good to be aware that the media is, as usual, overhyped the event to quite some extent, but I think it might be a good idea to examine the counter-point: why are other people trying to underplay it?

It was a doomed attempt, and even if they had managed to kill a few politicos, America wouldn't suddenly implode. This seems pretty self evident to me.
On the other hand, it *was* an organized attempt to prevent the transfer of power ( the protesting crowds and storming livestreamers to some small extent, but mostly I mean the individuals who used the crowds as camouflage). At the very least, it's an indication of how deep the current state of political polarization is. Without some serious efforts at remedying this, events such as this are likely to continue, and perhaps escalate.

The trickle of water running down the side of a dike isn't the issue, the issue is what it signifies: there is something deeply wrong with the dam. Ignoring the leak, down-playing it, or applying cosmetic fixes to it may lead to cataclysmic problems down the line.
   In a lot of ways, I see this situation as being similar to the discovery of the first couple Covid infected people in one's country: decisive action needs to be taken in order to prevent a conflagration. I worry that the new administration will be equally ineffective as the previous in containing this problem because, like Covid, the results of a  precariously unstable American democracy is going to quickly spread beyond its borders. :(

Now I'm reading this:
https://bebearaware.org/deploying-bear-spray
"Pepper spray is NOT bear spray! The active ingredients in bear spray is a derivative of Oleoresin Capsicum called Capsaicin. It is the Capsaicin and related Capsaicinoids that are necessary to deter a charging bear."
"Not all bear sprays are the same in terms of formulation quality, spray duration time, and spray distance."
"Pepper spray is milder than bear spray"
"Bear sprays are more expensive than pepper spray."

Maybe the the Capsaicin and related Capsaicinoids in bear spray are different from the Oleoresin Capsicum in pepper spray?
     I think that part of the problem in these definitions is also that a lot of people conflate Mace with pepper spray.
 Mace is a brand name of pepper spray that used to be made not from peppers but from chlorine derivatives which, aside from being hella painful, was also pretty toxic (which is probably why modern Mace is made with capsiaicins). Also, I think it was an irritant agent rather than an inflammatory one.

While it's possible that different brands of pepper spray and bear spray might be derived from different species of capsicum and vary on the scoville  scale, the inflammatory reaction that causes blindness and swelling etc is caused by the chemical capsaicin which is the same regardless of what source it's derived from.

The real difference between the two (aside from intensity) is how it's deployed (ie spray vs stream).

And Mr.DeMartino is bang on: bears will smell that stuff from a looong way off. In fact, expired bear spray, because it's derived from a fruit and the capsaicin losses its potency over time, will actually attract bears.  :huh:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:09:52 am by Kyndo »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #482 on: January 19, 2021, 10:01:57 am »
The police officer said she was blinded from bear mace and couldn't she; she said her eyes swelled shut. (That's what she said anyways.) So I'm guessing pretty effective. Maybe it's the reason so many protesters were able to breach the capitol. Why did they bring bear spray rather than pepper spray? (Both are legal to carry everywhere in the United States.)

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #483 on: January 19, 2021, 10:08:00 am »
Probably just what they had at hand, I guess.
Also, I doubt most people care too much about the difference between the two: hit somebody in the face with either and they're gonna stop doing whatever it is that you're taking issue with lol.

Both are going to stop your average person, but generally speaking, pepper-spray(which is marketed as a human deterrent) is stronger than bear-spray (which is similar but made to -- you guessed it! -- more effectively deter bears).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:16:47 am by Kyndo »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #484 on: January 20, 2021, 10:25:23 am »
"lewrockwell" Hmm, never heard of that site. Let's look it up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lew_Rockwell

"The website features articles... written by right-wing libertarian columnists and writers. Rockwell's site also regularly provides a forum to articles promoting fringe science and conspiracy theories, such as HIV-AIDS denial and the notion that vaccines cause autism. Rockwell has also provoked controversy for his role in and alleged authorship of the racist Ron Paul newsletters in the 1990s..."

Oh.  :rolleyes:

« Reply #485 on: January 20, 2021, 01:26:29 pm »
Imagine being dumb enough to openly praise a seditious mob while also blaming it on Antifa.

« Reply #486 on: January 20, 2021, 02:10:30 pm »
Imagine being dumb enough to openly praise a seditious mob while also blaming it on Antifa.
I give MayorHaggar credit here for slowly stepping back from the "INSURRECTIONISTS ATTEMPTING TO TOPPLE THE GOVERNMENT!!!! PANIC!!!!!!!!' take.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #487 on: January 28, 2021, 05:25:41 am »
The US Department of Homeland Security declared a nationwide terrorism alert Wednesday, citing the potential threat from domestic anti-government extremists opposed to Joe Biden as president.

"Information suggests that some ideologically-motivated violent extremists with objections to the exercise of governmental authority and the presidential transition, as well as other perceived grievances fueled by false narratives, could continue to mobilize to incite or commit violence," the department said.

The National Terrorism Advisory System Bulletin said a heightened threat of attack "will persist in the weeks following the successful presidential inauguration," which took place on January 20.

"DHS does not have any information to indicate a specific, credible plot," it said.

"However, violent riots have continued in recent days and we remain concerned that individuals frustrated with the exercise of governmental authority and the presidential transition... could continue to mobilize a broad range of ideologically-motivated actors to incite or commit violence."

They're out there., Scully.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #488 on: January 28, 2021, 07:03:18 am »
Some-one should tell Mike Pence these 'cosplay rioters' were really just harmless!

Mike Pence is homeless after leaving office and ‘couch-surfing’ with Indiana politicians, report says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/pence-homeless-couch-surfing-indiana-b1793261.html

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #489 on: January 28, 2021, 07:11:35 am »
Were the terrorists hapless partying rioters really shouting "where is Mike Pence" and "Hang Mike Pence" during the Capitol raid and coup attempt accidental entry...or were they really saying "where is Mike Pence, hand Mike Pence a friendship medal"?

« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2021, 02:51:13 pm »
Were the terrorists hapless partying rioters really shouting "where is Mike Pence" and "Hang Mike Pence" during the Capitol raid and coup attempt accidental entry...or were they really saying "where is Mike Pence, hand Mike Pence a friendship medal"?
I also shit myself in fear when I hear football fans scream that they want to kill the other team's QB or the refs. They clearly genuinely mean it and have the means to do so.

Are you really this easy to frighten in real life or is this just an online act?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #491 on: January 28, 2021, 02:57:55 pm »
I also shit myself in fear when I hear football fans scream that they want to kill the other team's QB or the refs...as they invade the backstage area, ransacking the place, bludgeoning a police officer to death and get directed to the locations of said QB and refs in hiding

They clearly genuinely mean it and have the means to do so.

Are you really this easy to frighten in real life or is this just an online act?

There, fixed it for ya  :wink:

« Reply #492 on: January 28, 2021, 03:57:20 pm »
There, fixed it for ya  :wink:
Look, not going to downplay the death of a cop, but there was one single death at the hands of these people, most of whom weren't involved in that part of it.

Seriously dude, do you scare this easy in real life or is this just an internet argument thing? Like were yuo genuinely worried about the U.S government? Do you seriously think that was a real coup attempt?

I don't get why you can't just ridicule the f out of these dumbasses and thugs who did this and leave it at that? Why do you feel this need to try and give it the most dramatic, scary interpretation possible?

« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2021, 04:00:08 pm »
This whole incident was so bad, my first response was to get on waygook.org and argue with DeMart and Hangook77 about it.

I think you yourself have proved what a fart in the wind this was by your own actions.

Nice going, genius.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2021, 05:50:13 pm »
"not going to..."

*proceeds to do exactly that*

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2021, 07:41:54 pm »
This whole incident was so bad, my first response was to get on waygook.org and argue with DeMart and Hangook77 about it.

I think you yourself have proved what a fart in the wind this was by your own actions.

Nice going, genius.
How many times have you posted that now? How many more times will you post it? All part of your big lie strategy,, Herr Goebbels?

« Reply #496 on: January 29, 2021, 10:45:02 am »
How many times have you posted that now? How many more times will you post it? All part of your big lie strategy,, Herr Goebbels?
It's not a lie. It's 100% true and it exposes the flimsiness of your position. You have no answer for it. You guys walked yourselves into it.

Next time you want to get hysterical and spread fear, make sure your actions match your words.

« Reply #497 on: January 29, 2021, 02:00:53 pm »
Lol, they're already trying to blame the Gamestop thing on Trump and Neo-Nazis. They're hoping that gullible saps like you guys will lap it up and turn on the people sticking it to the hedge funds and investors that own these media companies and buy the politicians that support them.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/27/politics/gamestop-stock-surge-trumpism/index.html
https://twitter.com/NateWeixel/status/1354472248283967498

Maybe this will finally wake you up to what dupes you all have been because of the media and them blurting out "TRUMP!!!!" and "WHITE SUPREMACISTS!!!!!" You guys are like Pavlov's dog. Throw those things out and you just lap it up without question.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #498 on: January 29, 2021, 07:27:00 pm »
Unfortunately for you, progressives in Congress have:

*voiced their support for the redditors
*called out actual trumpists trying to ride the bandwagon

Try harder.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #499 on: January 29, 2021, 08:07:57 pm »
It's not a lie. It's 100% true and it exposes the flimsiness of your position. You have no answer for it. You guys walked yourselves into it.

Next time you want to get hysterical and spread fear, make sure your actions match your words.

Choo choo!!! The Trump train has left the station and one passenger won't disembark.