Read 11924 times

• gannett
  • Waygookin

• June 23, 2014, 10:34:34 am
    • Cheongju
Cooperative Bomb Game -- Survival Adventure theme
« on: October 02, 2014, 01:25:59 pm »
Well I realized over summer camp that I need a cooperative style bomb game so that my students don’t kill each other for points. This is a no-team game so the whole class wins or loses together. It’s great for younger kids, but could work for middle or high, too.

Premise: there’s been a plane crash, and the class answers questions together to recover lost “items” and make it out of the jungle. Students start by choosing a question, then answering it correctly to get items. You can have the class answer however you want– I have each student write the answer on a small whiteboard (they can help each other verbally but can’t copy). The point is that everyone participates, instead of just one team at a time.

Once students have found all the items, they have to find the helicopter out, which is linked to slide 12 (don’t worry, the question won’t disappear even if they get it wrong).

There are a few negative slides to make it challenging– monkeys will come and either give you jewels or steal some items. If that happens, students can buy back those items from the Monkey King. You can make the game easier or harder by changing the price for items.

Also, this is my first real attempt at making a ppt game, so any suggestions or comments are welcome. Enjoy!

• EmLiz
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2013, 11:47:51 am
    • Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do
Re: Cooperative Bomb Game -- Survival Adventure theme
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:12 pm »
This is awesome. I love it, great job. Seriously, ppt master, teach me your ways lol

However, once we hit the choose your own adventure slide, the number sign slide resets. It's not dire, by any means, but is there any way to fix that?
Also, in the backpack, when I click items, they don't stay colored. Once I leave the slide, everything goes back to grey. Advice?

Once again, thanks for the awesome game.

• gannett
  • Waygookin

• Cheongju
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:37:39 pm »
Aw, the items aren't staying colored, huh? Same problem happened when I ran it at home on my Mac, figured it might be a PC thing. Are you running it on a PC?

As for the numbers, do you mean after you choose a path on slide 45 then the numbers reset on slide 4? Sounds annoying, I'll check into it! The only advice I can give now is to make sure you click to advance everything, instead of using keyboard arrows.

Anyway thanks for the feedback!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:09:36 pm »
Wow... This is an ass-kicker. Certainly the best PPT template I've seen so far. Thanks for uploading.

• sonya
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2009, 08:54:59 am
    • Wonju
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »
Wow...Kudos to you...looks awesome.

My students will be suffering from post midterm blues next week so I made a general knowledge one which I'm attaching.

I played it through on my computer and had none of the problems I saw mentioned above.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that that will continue into next week.

Thanks again,

Sonya

• Mstrom
  • Adventurer

• February 25, 2014, 08:12:16 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »
This looks amazing, I'll be running it for my grade 6s tomorrow. I assume it takes about 1/2 hour to get through?

• ahnh87
  • Adventurer

• March 01, 2012, 01:45:59 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:33 pm »
This is phenomenal. Incredibly well put-together and SUCH a refreshing method of game play!  Thank you for your creativity and willingness to share this with us! Can't wait to try it out  :azn:

• gannett
  • Waygookin

• Cheongju
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:54:23 pm »
This looks amazing, I'll be running it for my grade 6s tomorrow. I assume it takes about 1/2 hour to get through?

Yeah, it takes at least 30, but it depends on how you elicit the answer. Having each student write separately takes longer with my younger kids, but it's better practice for them. FYI you can also make it shorter, if in the beginning slide you change "all of the items" to "__ of the items" and pick a small number. Usually that works for a shorter game. 

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 03:42:46 pm »
This is AWESOME!!!

Good work gannett!!  ;D ;D
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• toddsqui
  • Expert Waygook

• November 14, 2013, 02:53:30 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:26:20 pm »
Yep, this is amazing. This game will go down in Waygook history, for sure.

Hope you make more games in the future!

T
I created a small web course for newbie teachers on Udemy here.

• gannett
  • Waygookin

• Cheongju
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:14:07 pm »
Thanks, I'm glad you all like it!

I ended up making a multiple choice version too, which is easier to play with big classes (and goes faster). I also changed the links, so if your kids are smart and try to remember which questions lead to which results, it'll shake things up a bit.

As for the technical problems, I saw another thread about slides re-setting in ppt 2010. If anyone can't get the items to remain colored after you click them, are you using 2010? I'm curious since we only have the older 2007 at my school so I can't check it myself (sigh)

• toddsqui
  • Expert Waygook

• November 14, 2013, 02:53:30 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »
Using KMSHADOWS's math-related ppts, I have filled in the questions for the survival game and attached the revised game to this post. Make sure to walk the students through the SURVIVAL PREP file first before you actually do the game. It will help students transition into the lesson a lot less abruptly.

This could work for middle schoolers and perhaps some tech high school students.

Enjoy!

-T
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:12:29 pm by toddsqui »
I created a small web course for newbie teachers on Udemy here.

• s.phieros
  • Adventurer

• February 24, 2014, 08:58:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 02:50:13 pm »
Nice one Gannett!!!!
So creative as always  ;D

• jschohl86
  • Explorer

• August 26, 2014, 09:05:08 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »
This game is superb! You did such an amazing job putting this together, and I can really see the effort. Some bomb games seem to be thrown together using arbitrary themes, but your game is cohesive and exciting. I really like the cooperative aspect, as well. I wasn't sure how that would work out in a class used to getting points, but it worked flawlessly!

I hope you continue to make games and share your ideas!

^_^

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 03:25:41 pm »
this went very well, thanks.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• Faysoa3841
  • Newgookin

• March 04, 2013, 11:06:13 pm
    • Atlanta, Georgia
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 02:37:33 pm »
Amazing game! Excellent work, thanks for sharing.

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »
I used this template for a final exam review game class and it came off really well. My coteacher praised this as one of the best PPT games she has ever seen. I agreed.

Just a note though, for me this game ran shorter than a normal bomb game. Part of it is that they are working together instead of against each other. I think something to stretch out the game would be having the students state where the item was found. The matches are under the bush. The fruit is in the tree. etc.

Great stuff! Thanks again!  ;D
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 11:49:32 am »
Where do I download the link for these game? Thank you

• busanite
  • Adventurer

• November 22, 2010, 08:12:58 am
    • Busan
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 03:41:35 pm »
Where do I download the link for these game? Thank you

You have pay a subscription fee nowadays in order to access the materials.