Read 5898 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Seems like the more ghetto an area, the cheaper the land on which to build a store. But the higher risk of crime scares people away - customers from other areas wouldnít want to go into that neighborhood. (Some at least.)

I do see your point.

Why so many liquor stores in those areas?

People there drink a lot.

But I think low income people arenít malnourished.

Kids from those areas grow up bigger and stronger than others. They really excel in sports. Good genetics I guess.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Seems like you didn't look at the map and see all the rural areas that are also low income, low access. Bad genetics, I guess.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

Rural or urban, Americans arenít starving to death, as was earlier claimed. They have sufficient calories to grow. Americans are way bigger than the world average. Partly genetic, partly due to not being malnourished. Most of the world is Asian. Put a random Asian next to a random American. Or a random low income American. Who would win in a fight?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Kids from those areas grow up bigger and stronger than others. They really excel in sports. Good genetics I guess.
Causation/correlation blooper there, LI.
In many cases, low income people have literally no other avenue to escape their socio-economic environment except through sports.
Also, one ought to be careful with bringing genetics into this conversation, as it might be misconstrued as promoting eugenics.

Put a random Asian next to a random American. Or a random low income American. Who would win in a fight?
wtf, LI.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

I donít believe Americans donít get enough food to eat. Other countries, yes definitely. But poor Americans live very well compared to poor in third world countries. In terms of having their needs met. But the downside is the bad environment they grow up in. Not enough good influences around them. Also, danger from crime.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
for god sake will you just give it a ****** rest

i felt you a page ago oglop, i'm feeling it even harder rn

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

Causation/correlation blooper there, LI.
In many cases, low income people have literally no other avenue to escape their socio-economic environment except through sports.

But a person in Indian slums would be even more desperate ... yet they ainít gonna make the NFL or NBA ... due to genetics. (Also, malnutrition may have stunted their growth I guess.)

Genetics matter more than anything else for excelling in sports. A person can practice all they want but it they arenít genetically gifted they wonít be turning pro. Facts.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Because the NBA doesn't recruit from the slums of Mumbai. Cricket aint no golden ticket, as the old saying goes. That avenue is a very American one.
And *of course* genetics matter in sports. lol.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
I donít believe Americans donít get enough food to eat. Other countries, yes definitely. But poor Americans live very well compared to poor in third world countries. In terms of having their needs met. But the downside is the bad environment they grow up in. Not enough good influences around them. Also, danger from crime.

A lot of Americans don't get enough healthy food to eat. Eating instant ramen 7 days a week might keep you away from caloric deficiency but it's still not doing your body any favors.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Whose side should I take in this video: Stossel or Bezos?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJXOQ9fUIdA

No one said you aren't full of contradictions.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

So whatís the answer to the question?

Jeff Bezos raised Amazonís minimum wage to $15 an hour then encouraged others to do the same.

Was it to gain a competitive advantage?

Or just that heís a nice person?

Honestly Iím not sure.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Yes, because all anyone has been calling him is the "Money Grubbing Billionaire Who Pays His Employees Shit" for the last two years.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
"man hoarding the most wealth any human has ever had in the history of the planet sightly raises wages of his under-earning employees".

yeah, he's just doing it cos he's nice

A lot of Americans don't get enough healthy food to eat. Eating instant ramen 7 days a week might keep you away from caloric deficiency but it's still not doing your body any favors.

You hardly live in a food desert Sticky.

"man hoarding the most wealth any human has ever had in the history of the planet sightly raises wages of his under-earning employees".

yeah, he's just doing it cos he's nice
What % of his wealth is actual liquid assets and not just valuation of various business holdings that employ people?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
ah, you're right. guess he doesn't have any money to afford to pay his workers a living wage

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

What is a living wage? The workers are living, arenít they? So how are they not being paid a living wage? Living wage means enough money to live a luxurious life?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

$15 an hour = $600 a week = $2,610 a month = $31,320 a year = $35.3 million won. Almost 3 million won a month. 2.95 mil. Itís a decent starting salary.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
yes, after years of attacks from politicians and...pretty much everyone -- while bezos made how many billions? -- they finally put the wage up to $15

Amazon is likely betting, however, that increasing pay will do more than just alleviate pressure from lawmakers and activists who want the retail giant to improve its working conditions. In the coming months, the company will need to attract 100,000 seasonal employees in the US and once again try to dominate the holiday shopping season. It has to accomplish those tasks in an extremely tight US labor marketóthe unemployment rate recently dipped below 4 percentówhere few people are looking for jobs. Wage hikes like Amazonís have historically occurred in similar economies."

https://www.wired.com/story/why-amazon-really-raised-minimum-wage/

nah, can't be something like this. bezos is clearly doing it because he's such a wonderful person.

why are americans (like L I) always trying to suck the teet of their billionaire overlords?

why are americans (like L I) always trying to suck the teet of their billionaire overlords?

And thereís the crux of the matter innit

Why is it whenever I listen to the radio and the BBC News World Service happens to come on, the US contributors they choose to consult with concerning whatever silly twist in American politics or quirky Americans fluff non-story are always some rando, nobody analyst saying the most tired and trite bullshit, and tripping over their own words while doing so? I see a few possibilities:

1) The analysts are actually better spoken than they come across, but some combination of accent, phone line static, time zone difference, and cultural miscues throw them off enough to sound like they were randomly pulled off the street for an impromptu interview.

2) The BBC canít book the well-spoken analysts.

3) The BBC doesnít know who the respectable analysts might be or what they might sound like.

4) The BBC doesnít care who they put on as long as they can blather through the allotted minute and a half.

5) The BBC purposefully screens for bumbling American analysts because it conforms to both their and their listenersí prejudices.

I think itís obvious which of these options I find most convincing.