Read 3470 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: Will the USA get another round of stimulus checks passed before the election?
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2020, 04:24:10 pm »
i've never seen anyone go out of their way to defend her. she's just... "there" (i didn't even know she was a billionaire...damn).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ZDgz8MO1M
[3:34]

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Will the USA get another round of stimulus checks passed before the election?
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2020, 04:48:24 pm »
i've never seen anyone go out of their way to defend her. she's just... "there" (i didn't even know she was a billionaire...damn). she also doesn't run one of the largest retail companies in the world

People respect billionaires who produced or invented something, e.g. Rowling, Jobs, Dyson but not those who created a successful business model. Seems a bit unfair to me.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2020, 04:49:43 pm »
Depends what job they're doing I guess. if it's just picking stuff off shelves and putting it on a cart, probably not that many that could transfer to teaching.

Teaching what? You think someone stacking shelves at amazon couldn't teach ABCs and "this is an apple" to minsu and bomin at crappy mccrap hagwon?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2020, 04:59:50 pm »
Teaching well is a skill.

It absolutely is.

For all ages.

Not everyone can do it well.

Takes practice.

Improvement comes with time.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2020, 05:12:33 pm »
Teaching what? You think someone stacking shelves at amazon couldn't teach ABCs and "this is an apple" to minsu and bomin at crappy mccrap hagwon?

The last time I worked in a warehouse, two of my work mates couldn't actually read, so they'd have found it difficult.  We're talking UK education here. Still, the point is anyone can teach anything in the sense that they can stand in front of a class and tell them to do stuff.   University educated people should be able to read, understand and write lesson plans better, be fairly skilled at presenting/public speaking, know more about the learning process, know how to create stuff on Word/Powerpoint , know what is considered standard English and what isn't etc, plus a load of other basic skills I can't be bothered to come up with now.  It's all pretty obvious if you think about it.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2020, 05:36:19 pm »
No, it's not obvious.

Not every EFL teacher has the English nor classroom skills to teach EFL. And Korea has a strong fetish for hiring based on trivial things like appearance over any actual skill.

The fact that you can't even appreciate that things like keeping to tight deadlines, working under immense pressure to reach targets, working as part of one or even multiple teams simultaneously, learning to operate in-house systems, liaising with different departments based on different needs and situations etc...all count as valuable skills compared to "teaching" at a hagwon that thinks you're a good teacher because you have blonde hair.

It's not even like skills aren't transferable. Some skills gained in "unskilled" jobs like working at McDonald's (personal experience) and factory work absolutely come in handy when teaching EFL.

Some of you just fell hook, line sinker for the skilled vs unskilled differentiation and it's showing your class privilege.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2020, 05:42:38 pm »
Sure, having had a job, any job, before you start work in a hagwan, would make you more employable than someone who hadn't

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2020, 09:26:14 am »
People respect billionaires who produced or invented something, e.g. Rowling, Jobs, Dyson but not those who created a successful business model. Seems a bit unfair to me.
you might be onto something. everyone seems to love Jobs, but weren't there many scandals showing horrendous working conditions in chinese factories where they produced apple products? nobody really seemed to care about that though

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2020, 09:26:53 am »
The last time I worked in a warehouse, two of my work mates couldn't actually read, so they'd have found it difficult.
jesus