Read 5910 times

Theyíve still got four days. Iím sure itís on top of their agenda. Why do you think the Senate was anxious to get that silly Supreme Court Justice business out of the way so quickly.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Mitch McConnell adjourned the senate until Nov. 9th. Nothing is getting passed before the election

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
sleepy Joe will get it done. Vote Democrat!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Jeff Bezos made a great company that improved our lives. (Have you never ordered from Amazon?) He earned his money. He doesnít owe you anything. You who hate him do so out of jealousy. (Or maybe ignorance.) Heís not an overlord. His success does not hurt you; in fact, the opposite is true.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rv0VKl_jwwI

Yet workers had to fight for years for a measly wage increase. I guess he just doesn't have enough money yet

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: Will the USA get another round of stimulus checks passed before the election?
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2020, 05:34:42 am »
Howíd Bezos get so rich? During the pandemic Americans were flush with cash and bored so they ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon.

$15 an hour minimum starting wage for an unskilled job is not bad.

It was boosted to $17 an hour during the pandemic with double overtime pay to those who wanted it.

Hell, thatís more than public school NETs in Korea make in a job that requires a degree.

People choose to work for Amazon because itís the best deal for them given their skill set.

What if the next time you brag about how much you make teaching youíre told you should give money to someone who has less? You probably wouldnít like it.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Will the USA get another round of stimulus checks passed before the election?
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2020, 07:44:08 am »
I don't know about you LI, but most NETs who've been working here for a while make around 35,000 won (31 USD) per teaching hour.
Also, as I have a grub, I know exactly what it feels like to give money to those who earn less than I do.  :smiley: ...  :sad:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:46:36 am by Kyndo »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2020, 09:31:03 am »
How much are the Amazon workers who have been there for a while making? Still the starting wage? If no, then a better comparison would be starting wage vs. starting wage.

$17 an hour is 3.4 million per month.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2020, 09:44:49 am »
Also, itís a bit disingenuous to say per teaching hour.

Thatís like the university teachers who brag about working only 15 hours a week.

Do they do no prep, just walk into the classroom and wing it?

An elementary NET could one up them by saying, ďI only work 14.67 hours per week.Ē (22 times 40 divided by 60.) But would that be an accurate assessment of the situation? When youíre at work forty hours a week?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2020, 09:52:23 am »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but university teachers in Korea not only have just 12 teaching hours a week (or 15, depending on your Uni. The ones in my area all seem to have 12 hour contracts) , but also only work 8 months a year. Sweet gig!

And while I do agree with you that it' not entirely equivalent (and I'm continuing this conversation purely for the sake of argument, because arguments are a hobby of mine and I have 10 minutes to kill before my next class), I don't think it's ingenious if you you outright state "teaching hours". The remained of the time is not exactly free time, but it's not "gogogo" time either. I'm guessing that an Amazon worker has a lot more "gogogo" time during a 40 hour week than a a NET in Korea does.
I mean, how else do we have the time to be writing this?  :laugh:
...Oh right. Because it's Sunday and only I'm dumb enough to be working weekends. *sigh*
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:56:37 am by Kyndo »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2020, 09:55:07 am »
Iím writing this because itís Sunday. Youíre at work now?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2020, 09:56:58 am »
Yeah. No rest for the wicked.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2020, 10:08:27 am »
Public schools sometimes have classes on Sunday? Iím surprised. The students (at least some) are doing lots of studying.  :shocked:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2020, 03:03:49 pm »
Howíd Bezos get so rich? During the pandemic Americans were flush with cash and bored so they ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon.

$15 an hour minimum starting wage for an unskilled job is not bad.

It was boosted to $17 an hour during the pandemic with double overtime pay to those who wanted it.

Hell, thatís more than public school NETs in Korea make in a job that requires a degree.

People choose to work for Amazon because itís the best deal for them given their skill set.

What if the next time you brag about how much you make teaching youíre told you should give money to someone who has less? You probably wouldnít like it.

Well I thought half the argument was the terrible working conditions their employees put up with. Its also a bit disingenuous saying people choose to work for amazon. I'm sure nobody would choose to work for low pay in difficult conditions if they can help it.

Also, online companies obviously did well during the pandemic due to lockdowns. And anyway, "flush with cash and bored"? Isn't there mass unemployment in the US (and other western countries)?

Plus, are you comparing my wage to that of Bezos, the richest man in the history of the planet? Ehhhh

Do people in other countries defend billionaires so much? I've only really seen Americans do it
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:05:44 pm by oglop »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2020, 03:10:19 pm »
The sad part in all this is that Bezos isn't even aware of LI's existence despite the latter shilling so hard for the former.

In what first world is a $17 per hour wage "not badď? What is an" unskilled" worker? Do you really think the 22yr old with a degree in basket weaving from bum ass University (obviously exaggerating a bit here) who came to teach EFL in Korea straight out of uni is more "skilled" than someone loading boxes at amazon?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2020, 04:00:45 pm »
The sad part in all this is that Bezos isn't even aware of LI's existence despite the latter shilling so hard for the former.

In what first world is a $17 per hour wage "not badď? What is an" unskilled" worker? Do you really think the 22yr old with a degree in basket weaving from bum ass University (obviously exaggerating a bit here) who came to teach EFL in Korea straight out of uni is more "skilled" than someone loading boxes at amazon?

You don't think people learn any skills by doing a 3 or 4 year university course?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2020, 04:03:57 pm »
Well I thought half the argument was the terrible working conditions their employees put up with. Its also a bit disingenuous saying people choose to work for amazon. I'm sure nobody would choose to work for low pay in difficult conditions if they can help it.

Also, online companies obviously did well during the pandemic due to lockdowns. And anyway, "flush with cash and bored"? Isn't there mass unemployment in the US (and other western countries)?

Plus, are you comparing my wage to that of Bezos, the richest man in the history of the planet? Ehhhh

Do people in other countries defend billionaires so much? I've only really seen Americans do it

What about JK Rowling? People in the UK aren't always saying she made her money by exploiting people, or have I missed something? I'm sure there are people involved in the process of making her a billionaire that worked for minimum wage, or even for free as interns in publishing houses etc. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2020, 04:17:30 pm »
You don't think people learn any skills by doing a 3 or 4 year university course?

And people don't learn/gain any "skills" Working at amazon?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2020, 04:21:17 pm »
And people don't learn/gain any "skills" Working at amazon?

Depends what job they're doing I guess. if it's just picking stuff off shelves and putting it on a cart, probably not that many that could transfer to teaching.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2020, 04:21:47 pm »

What about JK Rowling? People in the UK aren't always saying she made her money by exploiting people, or have I missed something? I'm sure there are people involved in the process of making her a billionaire that worked for minimum wage, or even for free as interns in publishing houses etc. 
i've never seen anyone go out of their way to defend her. she's just... "there" (i didn't even know she was a billionaire...damn). she also doesn't run one of the largest retail companies in the world