Read 1325 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: How does Paypal work in 2020 in Korea?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 07:52:15 am »
So far.  I resent money again.  This time he got it and checked right away instead of waiting a few days unlike the first time.  But he says it is asking him for an ID and then a bank code.  I never have done this receiving or sending money on the Canada side or on the US side.  Also when sending the money most countries currencies were there including Taiwan, Japan, Russia (under sanctions), etc.  Only Korea and then some mid range developing countries were not there.  Except Korea is suppose to be a developed country. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2020, 10:37:07 am »
Yeah, so I sent a South African here some money via Paypal and he can't get it out.  He has Korean PayPal.  I have Canadian PayPal.  So, I guess, it's useless here and discriminates against foreigners. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2020, 10:39:33 am »
He also said he had to fill in his ARC card and other nonsense to receive even though he can't get the money out.  Anyways, a couple weeks later, money is stuck there.  Useless.  It's funny, I sent money and received money between the US and Canada.  Never had to enter any ID.  I just got the money and transferred direct to my bank account.  No problem.  Very simple.  Not sure why it has to be so lame and so complicated here. 

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2020, 10:42:03 am »
Seems like the quickest way to transfer money between two people in Korea would be a quick bank transfer. Takes less than 2 minutes using a phone app. Obviously, if one of the parties doesn't have a Korean bank account it becomes more complicated.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2020, 10:49:38 am »
Seems like the quickest way to transfer money between two people in Korea would be a quick bank transfer. Takes less than 2 minutes using a phone app. Obviously, if one of the parties doesn't have a Korean bank account it becomes more complicated.

Of course, but we were testing it for global transfers quick and easy.  (Even though we are both in Korea.) 

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 12:36:36 pm »
It is possible to use PayPal in Korea...but you must use the following steps to the letter:

Alternatively:

visit paypal.com, get redirected to paypal.com/kr/home
replace /kr/ with /us/ or whatever your home country is

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 02:43:13 pm »
Alternatively:

visit paypal.com, get redirected to paypal.com/kr/home
replace /kr/ with /us/ or whatever your home country is

???  Korea still has a restriction for anyone that signed up from here for it with no accounts in their home country.  (I still don't get why foreigners shut it all down back home unless they are running from debt.)  My paypal works fine as long as I use it nothing Korean related.  If you sign up for North American PayPal and don't use it here, it's fine. 

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 02:57:55 pm »
Yeah, I misread the post. That one's on me

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 05:01:49 am »
...(I still don't get why foreigners shut it all down back home unless they are running from debt.) 

Canadians do it to eliminate ties that may require them to pay income tax in Canada.

British folks do it because they are required to be resident to have a bank account.

Also, many accounts have service fees if you donít keep a specified balance or have regular payroll deposits - and transfers donít count some places.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 12:58:10 am »
Canadians do it to eliminate ties that may require them to pay income tax in Canada.

British folks do it because they are required to be resident to have a bank account.

Also, many accounts have service fees if you don’t keep a specified balance or have regular payroll deposits - and transfers don’t count some places.

Really?  I don't pay income tax, but keep my bank account, credit cards, drivers license, etc.  I did get a confirmation of non residence on my last income tax filed during my first year here.  I wrote a personal letter explaining my situation and included it with my income tax filed for the previous year in which I did work in Canada.  I keep that as proof they ruled me a non resident.  But as a non resident, I am grandfathered in for certain things with my banks but can't get new offers or services.  PayPal is a pain if you forget the password.  No phone number for sms.  I had my sisters landline number which does me no good here.  I have to call their Canadian automated line requesting they send a password reset to my email address.  (Since, I am not using the useless Korean version.)

I just set up a Coin base account using my Canadian PayPal and my RBC VISA.  Visa has to be to deposit money and PayPal for withdrawal which then goes onto my RBC bank account.  (Not sure if I will finally jump on the bitcoin craze or not.)

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 04:29:55 am »
Really?  I don't pay income tax, but keep my bank account, credit cards, drivers license, etc.  I did get a confirmation of non residence on my last income tax filed during my first year here.  I wrote a personal letter explaining my situation and included it with my income tax filed for the previous year in which I did work in Canada.  I keep that as proof they ruled me a non resident.  But as a non resident, I am grandfathered in for certain things with my banks but can't get new offers or services.  PayPal is a pain if you forget the password.  No phone number for sms.  I had my sisters landline number which does me no good here.  I have to call their Canadian automated line requesting they send a password reset to my email address.  (Since, I am not using the useless Korean version.)

I just set up a Coin base account using my Canadian PayPal and my RBC VISA.  Visa has to be to deposit money and PayPal for withdrawal which then goes onto my RBC bank account.  (Not sure if I will finally jump on the bitcoin craze or not.)

They decide on everybody individually, and they look at the overall situation.  Bank accounts are but one of the considerations.