Read 525 times

Visa Cancellation Issues
« on: November 22, 2020, 08:17:44 am »
Hi guys! I left my employer mid October because I was being abused (Don't want to go into detail because I don't even want to think about it), but forgot to cancel my visa at the airport when leaving Korea. Now my boss is holding my visa over my head and trying to either get me to come back and work for her or give her money. She also threatened to sue me and blacklist me in the past when I told her I was leaving so I have a fear of that as well. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this issue, or knows of how I can cancel my visa without provoking her? I left Korea in a hurry so I didn't have time to properly research how to go about this. I don't know what I am doing so I would REALLY appreciate any help.

**Some info that might be important-
I had only been working at this place since the beginning of September. I had worked at my previous employer for about a year but they were going out of business because of Covid so they decided to transfer all of us teachers to new schools. My new ARC was supposed to be mailed to my new employer after I had gone to immigration with her, but she never gave it to me so when I went to the airport to leave Korea I did not have my ARC and had to leave without it.

P.S. Please be kind, I am already beating myself up enough.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Visa Cancellation Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 04:28:49 am »
Do you intend to return to Korea? If no, no problem.

If yes, will it be during your current ARC validity? If no, no problem!

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 05:07:07 am »
Hi guys! I left my employer mid October because I was being abused (Don't want to go into detail because I don't even want to think about it), but forgot to cancel my visa at the airport when leaving Korea. Now my boss is holding my visa over my head and trying to either get me to come back and work for her or give her money. She also threatened to sue me and blacklist me in the past when I told her I was leaving so I have a fear of that as well. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this issue, or knows of how I can cancel my visa without provoking her? I left Korea in a hurry so I didn't have time to properly research how to go about this. I don't know what I am doing so I would REALLY appreciate any help.

**Some info that might be important-
I had only been working at this place since the beginning of September. I had worked at my previous employer for about a year but they were going out of business because of Covid so they decided to transfer all of us teachers to new schools. My new ARC was supposed to be mailed to my new employer after I had gone to immigration with her, but she never gave it to me so when I went to the airport to leave Korea I did not have my ARC and had to leave without it.

P.S. Please be kind, I am already beating myself up enough.
What JNM said. You might be SOL if you want to work again in Korea before September of 2021 but other than that I don't see what the problem is. Do you think she's actually going to sue you for quitting your job?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 06:57:16 am »
If it's a standard E-2 visa, you can't work until it expires anyway whether you cancel it or not, as I'm assuming that your former employer will not grant you a letter of release.
If you plan on returning to Korea, your best bet is to wait out the remainder of the original visa period and return on a new one.

As T_Rex mentioned, your former employer has no legal footing to sue you for anything (unless you left bills unpaid that she had to cover etc).
Also, I'm not sure what the legality of transferring a contract over to another school is. Chances are, if you didn't sign a new contract etc, then it wasn't official and you aren't bound to it.

Block her, wait it out, and come back for a fresh start.  :smiley:

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:43:27 am »
Did you give in your ARC hen departing at ICN? If you did, that automatically cancels your visa. You may be able to apply for a new one from scratch, but sometimes they require you to wait the duration of the previous visa before applying again...but not always.

If you didn't submit your ARC upon departure, then your current visa may still be valid. Your employer has the legal obligation to inform the authorities within 2 weeks of you departing your workplace (or the country) for good...failure to do so would result in a fine for said employer.

So, call her bluff and tell her you've told immigration you left. And that she should be expecting a fine from them since she didn't inform them within the 2 week period.