Read 1688 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
How does Paypal work in 2020 in Korea?
« on: October 22, 2020, 12:21:28 pm »
Can Korean PayPal be linked to a Canadian or American one?  My Canadian one is linked to my RBC Bank account.  Can Korean do the same?  I had heard a few years ago there were lots of problems with the Korean version for foreigners.  Can I send money back and forth?  Can a Korea citizen transfer money via it to a foreign PayPal?  I haven't checked what the latest rules are for 2020.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
Re: How does Paypal work in 2020 in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 12:41:06 pm »
Can I trade money with a Korean PayPal from my Canadian one and Vice versa?  Use to be restrictions and cumbersome Korean government regulations? 

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 01:08:57 pm »
No Paypal korea still sucks donkey balls

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 02:09:34 pm »
Can I trade money with a Korean PayPal from my Canadian one and Vice versa?  Use to be restrictions and cumbersome Korean government regulations?

They'll charge you the transaction transfer fee or whatever, so you probably don't want to. No options for friends&family

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 01:25:41 pm »
Okay, so I sent a small amount of money from my Canadian PayPal to a another foreigner here but he has Korean PayPal.  I want to test it.  I will get him to send a small amount back to me.  I also want him to transfer to his Korean bank account or put it as balance on his Korean Credit Card.  I will have to wait to find out how this goes.  I want to find out of they still have racist restrictions or not.  Foreigners use to be restricted with Credit Cards and other things, but aren't in 2020. So hopefully, Korean PayPal also quit being racist.  Not a problem for me.  But testing for a friend. 

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 02:07:12 pm »
Okay, so I sent a small amount of money from my Canadian PayPal to a another foreigner here but he has Korean PayPal.  I want to test it.  I will get him to send a small amount back to me.  I also want him to transfer to his Korean bank account or put it as balance on his Korean Credit Card.  I will have to wait to find out how this goes.  I want to find out of they still have racist restrictions or not.  Foreigners use to be restricted with Credit Cards and other things, but aren't in 2020. So hopefully, Korean PayPal also quit being racist.  Not a problem for me.  But testing for a friend. 

Your friend will not be able to transfer to their Korean account, unless they are is Korean.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 02:35:51 pm »

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 02:45:57 pm »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 03:00:37 pm »
Your friend will not be able to transfer to their Korean account, unless they are is Korean.

Oh?  Still with the racist shit in 2020?  I figured they would have gotten rid of that by now.  I guess it makes it pointless to have in Korea then.  Some US relatives send me money from their PayPal taken from their account and send to my Canadian PayPal and I put into my bank account and Vice Versa.  No problems there.  I guess where the Korean credit card companies changed their tune in recent years, I had hoped PP would have too.  They use to discriminate.  So, I never bothered with them and kept my Canadian ones.  I know they do give out the cards now (though prob still restrictive.)  I was surprised that my Nonghyup check card worked in Canadian 2018 when it didn't in years past.  I even asked and they said foreigners were denied and also foreigners even when they could get local CC couldn't use overseas.  So, I just kept my Canadian stuff going.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 03:57:28 pm »
Oh?  Still with the racist shit in 2020?  I figured they would have gotten rid of that by now.  I guess it makes it pointless to have in Korea then. 
Yes, I'm sure Paypal decided to embrace a policy of racism and that's why this is the way it is.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 07:02:08 pm »
Yes, I'm sure Paypal decided to embrace a policy of racism and that's why this is the way it is.

I have yet to verify whether true or not.  But if true, a policy of discrimination whereby Koreans are allowed to use it and foreigners are not seems preferential and discriminatory to me.  Unless Koreans are also denied the right to transfer to their bank account and we are all treated EQUALLY shitty....

• Getsome
  • Adventurer

• October 09, 2020, 11:41:58 pm
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 12:13:18 am »
I have yet to verify whether true or not.  But if true, a policy of discrimination whereby Koreans are allowed to use it and foreigners are not seems preferential and discriminatory to me.  Unless Koreans are also denied the right to transfer to their bank account and we are all treated EQUALLY shitty....

But, don't you know that korea is sparkling?

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 09:59:44 am »
Maybe it has something to do with anti-tax evasion concerns? Or just plain lazy Korean IT?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 12:47:22 pm »
It is possible to use PayPal in Korea...but you must use the following steps to the letter:

1. Invest in a reliable VPN service that allows you to get a dedicated IP address (you will see the importance of this in the following steps)

1a. The dedicated IP address means you and only you will have access to this address.

2. Open an account with an online challenger bank...aka digital bank (e.g. Revolut, Monzo, Ally etc)

3. These banks will allow you to have an account in your home country, and they will send a bank card to you wherever you are

4. Use your dedicated VPN IP address to open a PayPal account if you don't have one yet, if you already have an account just log in...YOU MUST USE ONLY THE DEDICATED IP ADDRESS because the regular public VPN IP addresses have most probably been misused by others and flagged by PayPal, so if you make the mistake of accessing your PayPal with one of the flagged public addresses your account will get banned.

4a. Obviously, use your home address in your home country as the address you register with on paypal.

4b. The point of using the VPN iss to get around the security blocks Korea has on financial services like PayPal, western union etc...if you access these sites with a Korean IP address, you will be redirected to the Korean version 100 times out of 100 with zero ways to access and use the global versions.

5. Now that you have your VPN set up, digital bank account set up and your PayPal set up...you can link the PayPal account to your digital bank (using card and account number if you wish, or just one)...and you can freely withdraw and transfer money between the two.

6. You can send money between your Korean and digital bank accounts through SWIFT transfers...some digital banks allow you to add money to the account using a debit/credit card...but this doesn't always work (though in my experience Citibank Korea cards work with Revolut...but not the other Korean bank cards).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 12:51:12 pm by waygo0k »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 07:20:45 pm »
Here's something strange, I sent a friend in Korea 20 bucks from my Canadian PayPal to his Korean PayPal.  He's a foreigner with only Korean cards and banking.  Anyways, it said today, it was refunded to me.  Not sure if he sent it back to me or not.  This is very confusing. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 07:22:58 pm »
""4b. The point of using the VPN iss to get around the security blocks Korea has on financial services like PayPal, western union etc...if you access these sites with a Korean IP address, you will be redirected to the Korean version 100 times out of 100 with zero ways to access and use the global versions.""

What is this? 

What kind of blocks?  Western Union and PayPal doesn't work here?  How do you send money or receive money?  (I already know about sending money to myself from Nonghyup to RBC.) 

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 10:10:37 pm »
I am able to use my usa Paypal account here to transfer money back home using kebhana global pay option. But sol to send money from there to here. Try sentbe.

Also interestingly enough Paypal will start carrying cryptocurrency.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 01:22:10 am »
""4b. The point of using the VPN iss to get around the security blocks Korea has on financial services like PayPal, western union etc...if you access these sites with a Korean IP address, you will be redirected to the Korean version 100 times out of 100 with zero ways to access and use the global versions.""

What is this? 

What kind of blocks?  Western Union and PayPal doesn't work here?  How do you send money or receive money?  (I already know about sending money to myself from Nonghyup to RBC.) 

They redirect you to the Korean version. When I said blocks, I meant the automatic re-routing from the global version of the site to the Korean version.

For WU, you as a foreigner can't send/receive money online using your bank account or cards (you have to do everything in-branch). For PayPal, you as a foreigner can't transfer money from your Korean PayPal to your bank account.

The same goes with Skype...if you want to use the paid version, they automatically route you to the Korean version for payment...which turns out to be some buggy site run by a local company.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 07:48:57 am »
They redirect you to the Korean version. When I said blocks, I meant the automatic re-routing from the global version of the site to the Korean version.

For WU, you as a foreigner can't send/receive money online using your bank account or cards (you have to do everything in-branch). For PayPal, you as a foreigner can't transfer money from your Korean PayPal to your bank account.

The same goes with Skype...if you want to use the paid version, they automatically route you to the Korean version for payment...which turns out to be some buggy site run by a local company.

I know about Skype.  It's weird.  They just get me to pay a 10 per cent sales tax but it still goes through.