Read 1242 times

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: Those of you who have F5, F2 and F6 Visas, questions?
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2020, 03:23:58 pm »
i'd say topik 2 is doable for anyone who isn't lazy.

Damn, there goes my chances.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2020, 11:41:04 am »
Hmm a Friend in Seoul got his Topik 3 and was on an F Visa.  He did say he had to take on other jobs sometimes to qualify for the VISA.  But he did say he took some history and culture courses or something else in English.  But, I have a friend out in the country with a very low level of Korean and they are making him take courses in full Korean.  They come in and speak Korean.  Quite ridiculous for a beginning.  I sent him some simple texts in Korean and he didn't understand them.  Not saying that to insult him.  He's a smart guy.  But he never got into learning Korea,  So, if he can't understand my simple texts, then I wonder how he would be able to take this class only in Korean.  All he would hear is #$%^&*&%$%.  It took me 2 to 3 years to be able to hear Korean words well in conversation.  Well, I could hear the odd words before that.   But about that time to hear multiple words and some sentences.  But I also self studied and memorized vocabulary words and lived in a rural area where they didn't speak English.  (Sink or swim.)  I never studied specifically for TOPIK or KIIP though.  I did some Rosetta Stone after that. 

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2020, 11:42:51 am »
Damn, there goes my chances.

i mean i was gonna say anyone who isn't an idiot, but i'm definitely a lazy idiot and i still managed to do it

• hamid62
  • Adventurer

• December 19, 2016, 02:17:24 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2020, 03:11:10 pm »
I don't think anyone on an E-visa can legally meet the GNI so what the hell?
It's possible on an E-2, just unlikely. The top EPIK salaries pay 2.5-2.7 a month (SMOE might pay as much as 3 million a month but I can't be sure) and it means you'd have to be a level 1 or 1+ salaried employee. So yeah, it's possible, but unlikely because most EPIK teachers leave after 1-2 years.

i'd say topik 2 is doable for anyone who isn't lazy. topik 3 takes a bit of studying. i'm not topik 4 but it seems quite a bit farther away (gotta hope your essay-writing is good enough). i've heard finishing the kiip levels is way easier than passing the corresponding topik, but idk because i've never done kiip (i guess the evidence might be that, previously, you could do KIIP 4 or TOPIK 2 to satisfy the same req.)
They got rid of topik 3 and above years ago. Now it's just TOPIK I (complete beginner to high beginner) and TOPIK II (lower intermediate to advanced). Literally TOPIK II is one big comprehensive and how many points you get determines your actual level. If you're lower intermediate and struggling to answer the more advanced questions, they actually tell you NOT to write anything because it'll only bring down your grade.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2020, 10:35:00 am »
yeah i meant topik 2 as in level 2 and topik 3 as in level 3. and i'm pretty sure you need to get points on at least one of the essays to get topik [level] 4 or above (unless your listening or reading is god-like)

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2020, 10:54:51 am »
It's possible on an E-2, just unlikely. The top EPIK salaries pay 2.5-2.7 a month (SMOE might pay as much as 3 million a month but I can't be sure) and it means you'd have to be a level 1 or 1+ salaried employee. So yeah, it's possible, but unlikely because most EPIK teachers leave after 1-2 years.

Don't forget the extra 400k taxable income if you take housing allowance.

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2020, 11:49:14 am »

I've asked this and gotten different answers, but is the housing allowance included in the severance pay. For me it's about 2mil difference if its included or not.

Anyone know?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2020, 11:52:27 am »
They got rid of topik 3 and above years ago. Now it's just TOPIK I (complete beginner to high beginner) and TOPIK II (lower intermediate to advanced). Literally TOPIK II is one big comprehensive and how many points you get determines your actual level. If you're lower intermediate and struggling to answer the more advanced questions, they actually tell you NOT to write anything because it'll only bring down your grade.

Hmm.  Seems like they want to set it up so that foreigners don't get the language or learn it.  Or perhaps fail it so they don't get special visas?  My friend said he did a KIIP level one which is purely in Korean.  He doesn't know barely a lick of Korean.  So, again, it seems suspicious to me.  Maybe a deterrence to learning Korean.  I can't see how it would be helpful to a novice.  You need your own language till you get to a certain level.  Adults over the age of 10 don't learn through osmosis like children. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2020, 12:14:59 pm »
I've asked this and gotten different answers, but is the housing allowance included in the severance pay. For me it's about 2mil difference if its included or not.

Anyone know?

SMOE pay is lower than other EPIK.  Similar to a crappy lower ranked hakwon and no renewal allowance.  Plus they are strict or anal on every rule in the contract line by line. 

Provincial EPIK not Metropolitian City pay gets higher.  You get 2.7 million plus 150k for multiple school allowance plus 400k for rent.  3.25 million times 12 equals 39 million won plus 2 million won renewal allowance.  So you are at 41 million won.  Sometimes you may get an extra 500 or 1000k won for doing some extra teaching.  So, you could come in at 42 million.  Of course if you live in a rural gun in that province, then you also get an extra 100 k a month.  So, with the extra teaching, it could put you at 43.2 million a year.  Without extra teaching, you'll still clock in at 42.2 million a year.  Korea's GDP has been slipping.  So per capita per person would be down by this year or next year for the next couple of years. 

That part easier to meet.  But if  KIIP 4 will be needed by December or after, that will throw a wrench in it especially if they make you start from the beginning in all English and no Korean.  As I said, must be deliberate to keep too many from learning the language.  All you'd hear is jibberish.  Even I had to memorize words myself and get folks to explain things to me through self study in English.  Took me quite a while before I could listen in Korean.  Plus after some self study I did some Rosetta and extra memorization of vocab words I didn't know. 

• hamid62
  • Adventurer

• December 19, 2016, 02:17:24 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2020, 09:40:06 am »
SMOE pay is lower than other EPIK.  Similar to a crappy lower ranked hakwon and no renewal allowance.  Plus they are strict or anal on every rule in the contract line by line. 
I guess that's a recent change? Back in 2016 when I applied, they were paying as much as 3 million a month but you'd have had to stay with the same employer for seven years and had a Master's degree in TEFL/TESOL to reach that amount. But with just a Bachelor's degree, a letter of recommendation from the superintendent or principal of your school/uni, and a TEFL or government-issued teaching license, they'd have paid 2.6 million a month which is still doable in Seoul and allows you to save a decent amount of money each month.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 10:04:19 am »
I guess that's a recent change? Back in 2016 when I applied, they were paying as much as 3 million a month but you'd have had to stay with the same employer for seven years and had a Master's degree in TEFL/TESOL to reach that amount. But with just a Bachelor's degree, a letter of recommendation from the superintendent or principal of your school/uni, and a TEFL or government-issued teaching license, they'd have paid 2.6 million a month which is still doable in Seoul and allows you to save a decent amount of money each month.

Most people have a Bachelors degree and maybe a Tefl certificate.  You have to get a recommendation from a superintendent.  How common would that be to likely happen?  Most are starting at around 2 and after many many years most would get to 2.4 or 2.5?  Also there is no annual renewal allowance there, I had heard.  Rental subsidy slightly higher at 500,000 k a month but what kind of place (dump) could you get with that?  At least the Gangnam office which did or still does their own hiring gave 900k a month for rent. 

So, for MOST people the ceiling there is quite low.  Provincial EPIK has a higher pay and takes about 4 or 5 years to get to if you started near the bottom.  With renewal allowance added on and averaged out, you can get over 3 million a month plus rental allowance.  Rents are cheaper in rest of country.  Of course there are many benefits to living in Seoul, but it seems foreign teachers get no respect there paywise.  Even with years of experience and a TESOL course, they'd still start you out quite a bit lower.  Most folks working in the program would have low 2.0's and very strict rules for working?