Read 842 times

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Why Boomers Hate Pop
« on: October 14, 2020, 03:15:52 pm »
I'm a Boomer! And like most folks I know that are my age "ish" I never got into the pop sound. This is Rick Beato, a very knowledgeable and talented musician and his explanation why. I watch a lot of his "Why this song is great." stuff.

Although I've played drums for pushing 50 years, I can't read or write music and know next to nothing of music theory. I know what I like and what I don't like, but I couldn't express it musically. Rick does a great job here. The good stuff starts at about 4 minutes and lasts about 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDUSFpek0PM

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
Re: Why Boomers Hate Pop
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 03:23:38 pm »
1) boomers don't like that the songs don't fluctuate a couple bpm throughout the course of the song? really? the average boomer (or average person) couldn't tell you what bpm stands for never mind notice that the verse in back in black was played at 92 bpm and the chorus was 94.

2) boomers don't like 808s? kanye west wept. at least i could maybe believe this one

i dont have time to listen to the next 20 mins but im skeptical mr. lick10steen

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 04:24:16 pm »
Yeah man, I think you may be missing the point brother (or sister). The point is that we got used to, which is to say our ears became tuned to imperfections and changes, and today's music is "perfect" because it all comes out of computers.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:44:23 pm by Liechtenstein »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 04:40:45 pm »
that's cos pop sucks

rock is the best genre of music ever made

but kpop is the worst

hmm.. think i've got all bases covered there

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 04:46:22 pm »
that's cos pop sucks

rock is the best genre of music ever made

but kpop is the worst

hmm.. think i've got all bases covered there

hahahaha....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5BP2KlPD4U

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:00:37 pm »
Couldn't possibly because they're all pretty much senior citizens and things change and human beings once they reach a certain age have trouble adapting to new things, particularly music. Or the fact that what they are into isn't popular and the "young" nature of popular music means that they are reminded of their age and mortality.

I think a lot of it is identity-based. I notice plenty of older people who don't seem to care about what music is playing. They mostly seem to be people who aren't really "into" music. Basically all music is just muzak or noise to them.  The people who seem to care have music as part of their identity in some way or form. They use it to define themselves and also use it to define/judge others.  This is just in general, not a hard rule.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 06:49:39 pm »
Rick Beato is unquestionably highly knowledgable and taught me quite a bit about the mixing process. Still, he IS known as the "old man shouts at clouds" type.

This is probably going to be a long post as there's a hell of lot to talk about. I'm going to list his criticisms, or at least his understanding of criticism according to boomers and follow up with my comments.
Either way, I'm not watching the whole 27min, but here's what he said from what I watched:

Why Boomers Hate Pop Music, according to Rick Beato.

1 - No tempo variation

Traditionally, a midi drummer or drum sample has no tempo or accent variation, while a real drummer does. This isn't referring to sudden tempo changes in songs (140bpm to a bridge or pre-chorus that changes to 100bpm), these are the 'imperfections' of a human drummer playing between say 140bpm and 143bpm. The changes are so slight that they're not noticed but felt. For a while now, modern software like Toontrack has features which add slight changes in accent to make the drumming sound more human. Honestly, most people won't notice. What boomers DO notice are the different types of drumkits and electronic sounds used in modern pop vs. rock from the 70s. i.e. They can't tolerate anything digital, it must all be analogue.

2 - Repetitive 'sounds'

Ok, I don't get this. The sounds are repetitive to give them broad appeal and make them easier to dance to. Heard rockabilly music? It's repetitive AF because it's main purpose was to dance to. You could only know 6 chords and, mainly power chords, and be able to play every ACDC album. Repetitive isn't necessarily bad.

3 - Simple singable melodies (nursery rhyme like)

Again, the purpose is broad appeal. It's accomplishing what it's setting out to do. Everyone knows 'London Bridge is Falling Down' or 'Happy Birthday' because the simple melody makes it easy for many people to sing and remember, it's catchy. What is there to fault? It's kind of like mocking a KIA for not having the ride quality of a Mercedes.

I'd have a bone to pick with modern pop music IF it was claiming to be better than Beethoven or something... it isn't. It's simply using the appropriate formula to market itself to as large an audience as possible and make the most money. It's not trying to be better than the Beatles, it's trying to make more money than the Beatles. Keep this in mind and you can go through life enjoying whatever music you like and roll your eyes at anyone who tries to convince you that their music is the best.

On side not, LIC. I've never heard of a musician who regretted learning at least a bit of music theory. It'll make music listening to music a  lot more enjoyable and, if you're interested in composition, the process INFINITELY less frustrating. If all you understand are the diatonic chords in a key  (you don't even have to learn them, just stick a chart on the wall) and their "function" (functional harmony), that's going to make a world of difference. 15min and you'll be a much better musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8eItITv8QA&list=PLTR7Cy9Sv286pnEThCyBF-K9uIIL59vzX&ab_channel=SignalsMusicStudio
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:13:34 pm by Aristocrat »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 09:43:49 pm »
I'm a Boomer! And like most folks I know that are my age "ish" I never got into the pop sound. This is Rick Beato, a very knowledgeable and talented musician and his explanation why. I watch a lot of his "Why this song is great." stuff.

I've been watching Rick Beato's YouTube channel for the last couple of months. I like that he can find a great song in different genres and then breakdown the song to explain what makes it great. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 11:29:46 pm »
Re: imperfections

It is like “uncanny valley” in digital animation, or “Gangnam Face” cosmetic surgery.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 11:33:05 pm »
Hasn't pop music always been the genre of the youth?  It's been around since the dawn of music.  For you to say that boomers don't enjoy pop music is such a myth!  Boomers have enjoyed everything from Rock Around the Clock, to Hit Me Baby One More Time! 
There is a nostalgia when one talks about pop music and that's cause it was probably popular when you were actively listening to the radio and it connected to your life and you could thus connect memories to it... It has nothing to do with bpm. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 01:59:09 pm »
On my facebook feed today:

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 04:36:10 pm »
Sometime in the late 2000s all pop-ish music started sounding more and more like RnB, or having heavy influence from RnB. I hate RnB.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 09:18:03 pm »
It started off in the early late 1990-s-2010's as ballads and songs by pop artists who wanted to appeal to an "urban audience" and thus seemed to need a rap break in every single song.   Oh man that got really tired, but after that it seemed like rap/hiphop artists overused autotune to prove they could actually sing, and then that led to some really great rap/rnb artists like Drake, Post Malone, The Weekend, Rihanna, Beyonce, etc  (really commercial artists) who can really rap and sing without it~ nor do they need a rap sequence (although they are employed if they wish). 

I love the music scene now~ I love that my students know about Travis Scott and all the latest rappers, yet they also are down with listening to Troye Sivan, Ed Sheeran and Billie Eilish~

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 07:28:22 am »
Sometime in the late 2000s all pop-ish music started sounding more and more like RnB, or having heavy influence from RnB. I hate RnB.

What is it about RnB that you hate?

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 10:44:42 am »
What is it about RnB that you hate?

Well, it's either the rhythm or the blues!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 12:28:13 pm »
Given that most Boomers are already retired (60s and 70's), who here is actually a boomer?  Gen X and older Millenials grew up with rock songs still in the top 40.  2000's decade had some good music from Linkin Park (they became popish later on), to Three Days Grace, to Velvet Revolver, to Audioslave, etc.  Lots of talent.  Also many millennials still liked older music like Pearl Jam and others.  (At least the older millennials anyways.)

Most of us had Boomer parents, I do believe.  Maybe some old Gen X born in the 1960's close to some of the youngest Boomers?

While I don't mind some pop over the years, thanks to ex girlfriends and other women influences.  However, most guys will go to more manly music either rock or rap as a first choice.  But for the kids here, they don't get rock.  So, just play some pop if you use it for teaching and something with non sexual shake your booty grab your p$$y nonsense. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 12:33:15 pm »
For me, the hard rock of the 70's, 80, 90's, and 2000's decade and even non mainstream stuff even out now with YouTube vids is the rock I like as a first choice. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 12:39:50 pm »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?