Read 979 times

• Getsome
  • Adventurer

• October 09, 2020, 11:41:58 pm
    • UK
Legalities
« on: October 11, 2020, 06:33:30 am »
Hello,
My boss asked if I can post on his behalf. If you are interested, please email him directly.
If you are a native teacher and are interested in this position, or simply want to ask further questions, then please send an email to the following address:
kidsstylerno1@gmail.com

We are looking for a foreign English, PE teacher at Kids Styler Language School.
It is basically an English Kindergarten.

JOB DESCRIPTION:
Teaching kids (Age 3 ~ 7 years old)
Mainly PE classes, and other subject through English, child care, parent counseling, class research.
We are hoping to have someone who is active and likes sports.
You will have native Korean teachers in the class all the time to assist you.

INSTRUCTOR CONDITIONS:
They need to be from a native English-speaking country (USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Ireland).  They also have to be eligible for a working visa (E2 visa, F visa etc).

WORK HOURS/PAY:
Starting date 2020.09.01
Working hours: Mon-Fri 09:30am - 6:00pm
Salary: 2,500,000 KRW + housing allowance 500,000 KRW for full-time.
Vacation: Summer 5 days, Winter 5 days. Total 10days and all public holidays.
4 major insurances, retirement salary available.

Send me an email if you are interested. (resume, cover letter, photo, graduation certificate)
kidsstylerno1@gmail.com

Kids Styler Language School (English kindergarten)
511-6, Pangyo-dong, Bundang-gu
(Pangyo-dong is located a few stations away from Gangnam station, Seoul).

Why is this school posting what someone on an E2 visa is NOT supposed to do?

Why did Waygook allow the post? 

Why did Waygook delete the posts, pointing out that teaching kids that age, on an E2 visa, is illegal?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:37:57 am by Getsome »

Re: Legalities
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 08:39:52 am »
"Mom! Dad! I recently graduated with my degree in Art History! I even already have a job lined-up teaching kids in Korea! It sounds like a super fun job!"

One month later:
"Mom...Dad...Um, one boy sprained his ankle during PE class. Even though the kid acts like a wolverine on crack on a daily-basis, the parents blamed me. The Korean co-teacher was there too, but she was on her phone and she also said that yes, it's also all my fault. The parents pulled the kid from school and claimed I was teaching illegally. Turns out that I can't legally be teaching PE on an E-2. Had I known, I wouldn't have taken the job, yet it was advertised openly on a job listing site for pretty foreigners such as myself. I'm so confused. Anyway, I'm getting deported, so can I live with you for a bit until I land on my feet again?"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:41:48 am by WhenInRome... »

• Getsome
  • Adventurer

• UK
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 10:26:50 am »
"Mom! Dad! I recently graduated with my degree in Art History! I even already have a job lined-up teaching kids in Korea! It sounds like a super fun job!"

One month later:
"Mom...Dad...Um, one boy sprained his ankle during PE class. Even though the kid acts like a wolverine on crack on a daily-basis, the parents blamed me. The Korean co-teacher was there too, but she was on her phone and she also said that yes, it's also all my fault. The parents pulled the kid from school and claimed I was teaching illegally. Turns out that I can't legally be teaching PE on an E-2. Had I known, I wouldn't have taken the job, yet it was advertised openly on a job listing site for pretty foreigners such as myself. I'm so confused. Anyway, I'm getting deported, so can I live with you for a bit until I land on my feet again?"

Well...that certainly is one way to put it in context.

What say you wayook?  Are you going to continue accepting and presenting job posts that require illegal teaching practices for those on an E2 visa?

Folks have seen this go down so many times, yet, waygook keeps supporting jobs that are not legal, by posting on behalf of a school or recruiter. 

Kyndo?
Indo?
Von Islander?

Anyone?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:43:06 am by Getsome »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 10:52:40 am »
There are a lot of threads out there, and they all have a lot of comments. Sometimes things go unnoticed, especially as there are only 3 or 4 currently active mods!

If you see a post that you think is illegal, the most effective way to bring it to the attention of a mod is to report it, which you can do by clicking the "Report to moderator" button at the bottom of the offending comment.
Barring that, it would be nice to provide a link to the offending post to make it a bit easier to find!

• Getsome
  • Adventurer

• UK
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 11:00:00 am »
There are a lot of threads out there, and they all have a lot of comments. Sometimes things go unnoticed, especially as there are only 3 or 4 currently active mods!

If you see a post that you think is illegal, the most effective way to bring it to the attention of a mod is to report it, which you can do by clicking the "Report to moderator" button at the bottom of the offending comment.
Barring that, it would be nice to provide a link to the offending post to make it a bit easier to find!

OH, you wish to dance?  OK, I'll lead.

.......go back to the first post, in this thread.  OH, that was clever, though...trying to build some moral bridge between illegal....and offensive.  Oh wait....its gone.  Nice job. Now, lets keep that integrity going.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:01:34 am by Getsome »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 11:04:36 am »
You quoted, but unfortunately, you deleted the metadata that allows a user to go to the original comment.
But that's ok. I did a site search using keywords, found the thread and deleted it. I also sent the posted a message as why it happened, so hopefully they wont repeat the mistake.

I agree that illegal job postings shouldn't be allowed, but I *do* want to reiterate that complaining about them on a random thread is not an effective way to prevent it from happening. Please report the offending post so they can be dealt with.

• Getsome
  • Adventurer

• UK
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 11:11:35 am »
You quoted, but unfortunately, you deleted the metadata that allows a user to go to the original comment.
But that's ok. I did a site search using keywords, found the thread and deleted it. I also sent the posted a message as why it happened, so hopefully they wont repeat the mistake.

I agree that illegal job postings shouldn't be allowed, but I *do* want to reiterate that complaining about them on a random thread is not an effective way to prevent it from happening. Please report the offending post so they can be dealt with.

I see.  So, rather than "wait" on you guys to do the right thing, we should NOT point things out? 

However, I guess rather than having YOU guys...the "grown ups", actually moderate the job postings that come on this  website, we should do YOUR job? 

How about waygook establish a terms of service, that requires schools to only post a job description that follows the law?  That would not be too hard, would it? 

At any rate, thank you for the effort.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 12:55:02 pm »
Oh, no. You misunderstand. Rather than NOT pointing things out, you *should* point them out.
It's the best way to get something done. Squeaky wheel and all that.

As for for only allowing folk to post legal job opening, well, yeah. I def agree.
Goes without saying that illegal job posts should not be allowed here!

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 08:21:41 pm »
How about all job postings need to be approved by a mod or the great one himself?? Rather than automatically posting them.

I realize it will be more work but this is a continuous problem and some people are paying for their usage here, not me of course! ;)

• Getsome
  • Adventurer

• UK
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 12:00:44 am »
How about all job postings need to be approved by a mod or the great one himself?? Rather than automatically posting them.

I realize it will be more work but this is a continuous problem and some people are paying for their usage here, not me of course! ;)

Well...that would require accountability. 

Besides, that can go into an entirely new direction....I'm not sure they are ready for that.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 07:02:51 am »
How about all job postings need to be approved by a mod or the great one himself?

It's not a terrible idea, actually.
Would require some coding I suppose.
I imagine it would mean that people posting jobs would need to do it from special accounts (one's that continue to require mod approval even beyond their first 5 posts), or else in specially designated threads where everything needs to be pre-approved (if that's possible: Simple Machines is kinda limited in what it can do).

I'll pass the idea along to sysadmin.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 10:35:39 am »

Why is this school posting what someone on an E2 visa is NOT supposed to do?

Why did Waygook allow the post? 

Why did Waygook delete the posts, pointing out that teaching kids that age, on an E2 visa, is illegal?

You trolliong?  Folks have taught all day kindies for years. 

2.5 million is a decent starting salary for a newbie compared to some of the scummy lowball offers you still see here sometimes.  Teaching young kids is fun.  But you better have energy.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 10:56:18 am »
I think that the part that was a bit iffy was teaching PE classes on an E2 visa.
Anyway, yeah, you're right: teaching kindy and g1 and 2 has always been ok, so long as it wasn't an EPIK teacher doing it. The rules regarding public school NETs teaching grade 1 and 2 kids have also been repealed recently (last year?), if I'm not mistaken.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 11:18:32 am »
You trolliong?  Folks have taught all day kindies for years. 

I believe the post said: kids between the ages of 4 and 7. Didn't mention whether it was western age or "stupid" age but we can assume it was the latter. In which case, the 4 year olds are NOT kindergarten aged. However, I do not know whether it's allowed for an E-2 to teach students younger than 5.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 11:48:28 am »
Kindergarten in Korea sometimes encompasses preschool as well. Some kids go to "kindergarten" for like 3 years.

Also, I don't think that there are any age restrictions on students for the E-2 visa: you can teach infants and adults and everything in between. There are (were) age restrictions on what public school teachers were allowed to teach. I believe they were put into place after the Korean Hagwon association lobbied the government about public schools muscling in on their collective turf. However, I believe some of those restrictions were recently lifted.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:52:56 am by Kyndo »