Read 4695 times

Re: I'm suddenly a bad teacher
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2020, 01:47:48 pm »
"이게 뭐예요?" and "이거 뭐예요?" are both 100% correct, but the former is used more often in everyday spoken Korean. I assume the same is true for the 저 and 그 versions.
My coworker tells me the latter is less popular because it sounds a bit like aegyo.  :laugh:

Nah it's the difference between this 그 and that 저 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2020, 01:57:39 pm »
"이게 뭐예요?" = "What's this?"
"그게 뭐예요?" = "What's that?"
"저게 뭐예요?" = "What's that (over there)?"

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2020, 02:03:20 pm »
this is suddenly the hangle101 thread

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2020, 02:09:10 pm »
Nah it's the difference between this 그 and that 저 
Just to make sure I understand (because I use variants of those phrases pretty often), while both "이 뭐예요?" and "이 뭐예요?" are ok (although the latter with make you sound like you're whining to your boyfriend), the same isn't true for "그 뭐예요?"/"그 뭐예요?" and "저 뭐예요?"/저 뭐예요?"
If that's true, then that's really weird.  :sad:

this is suddenly the hangle101 thread
How else can we get the "hang" of it if not for hangle 101?  :laugh:

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2020, 02:33:42 pm »
@kyndo i think it works the same? i mean i assume the difference between 그거 and 그게 is the same as the difference between 이거 and 이게 (in that there's not much of a difference except the latter versions include the subject marker)

then again i didnt know that using 이거 makes me sound cute (i pretty much use 이거/이게 interchangeably). it was my understanding that the only real change in meaning comes when you compare 이거/이게 (marker-less or with subject marker) to 이것은 or 이거는 (with topic marker)

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2020, 03:53:02 pm »
@kyndo i think it works the same? i mean i assume the difference between 그거 and 그게 is the same as the difference between 이거 and 이게 (in that there's not much of a difference except the latter versions include the subject marker)

then again i didnt know that using 이거 makes me sound cute (i pretty much use 이거/이게 interchangeably). it was my understanding that the only real change in meaning comes when you compare 이거/이게 (marker-less or with subject marker) to 이것은 or 이거는 (with topic marker)
A lot of it is also the tone you use. If you sound 'manly' when using either one, then it won't sound 'cute'. Problem is that a lot of foreign guys tend to pick up the intonations of their k-girlfriends.

Also, guys in Seoul tend to use what, Gyeongsangdo guys, consider more feminine language, but they still use it in a 'manly' way, if that make any sense...lol
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:55:11 pm by pkjh »