Read 2168 times

Re: Teaching anything other than conversational english on an e2 is illegal
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 09:39:06 am »
If I read Goodnight Moon to my class, am I teaching them English or American Children's Literature? If I read them Hungry Hungry Hungry Sharks or some Amelia Earhart picture book am I teaching them science or history?

It's a grey area and loophole that can be exploited. The good thing is nobody in the real world cares.

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 09:43:44 am »
If I read Goodnight Moon to my class, am I teaching them English or American Children's Literature? If I read them Hungry Hungry Hungry Sharks or some Amelia Earhart picture book am I teaching them science or history?

It's a grey area and loophole that can be exploited. The good thing is nobody in the real world cares.

There are some Canadian deportees who may beg to differ.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 11:29:37 am »
I'm definitely getting deported for teaching math in English under an E-2 visa.

They sentenced all E2 teachers except for our ESL teacher a "departure" notice that bans us for 1 year.
[/b]

https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/6c0x0q/im_definitely_getting_deported_for_teaching_math/

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 04:33:24 pm »

the problem is nobody cares until you meet an immigration officer with a stick up his arse that might make a big deal of it. a fellow co-worker had a 4-hour interrogation because the immigration officer he was paired with decided he wasn't happy with my co-workers contract. no idea why- we just teach at a private elementary school. anyway he was eventually released and his new visa stamped. seemed like the officer just wanted to be a dick and waste his day. but what if he had been teaching something other than english? who knows

the point is this is grey area and it's only fine until when it's not

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 02:19:40 pm »
HAhahaha! I get a warning and the mods remove the comments but keep a job that appears to want its applicants to break the law.  If you are on an E2 you can't take on another job legally, even if it is a crap job as a zoom tutor.

You have received a warning
« Sent to: thunderlips on: Today at 01:58:31 pm »Reply with quoteDelete
thunderlips,

You have received a warning for use of profanity. Please review the Terms and Conditions (http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2425.0.html) and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Waygook.org Team.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 05:09:42 pm »
If you are on an E2 you can't take on another job legally, even if it is a crap job as a zoom tutor.

I believe taking a job as a zoom tutor is perfectly fine with immi, so long as it's language conversation that you're tutoring, and so long as you claim the income for them to tax you on. On the other hand, it probably breaks the terms of your contract, as most hagwons and EPIK contracts have a clause for exclusivity.

If you're talking about teaching science via zoom, then you may have a point.
Although teaching science via Zoom in English does kinda muddies the water, as what you're doing *is* essentially just English conversation...

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 09:44:51 pm »
HAhahaha! I get a warning and the mods remove the comments but keep a job that appears to want its applicants to break the law.  If you are on an E2 you can't take on another job legally, even if it is a crap job as a zoom tutor.

Yeah, allowing ads like that to continue to be posted is worrying. Imagine some poor schmuck flying all the way here, teaching some science or math class the hagwon  director forced them to teach, and then getting deported for it. At my last hagwon one of the Canadian teachers refused to teach PE and berated our director for asking him to teach a class he wasn't allowed to teach on an E-2. Guy had stones. I guess if a parent knew the rules and had a problem with the school and/or the foreign teachers, couldn't they pull the kid out of the school and complain loudly enough where everybody gets the immigration axe? Who knows. Highly unlikely, but still an unnecessary risk when there's obviously loads of schools not asking their teachers to do illegal teaching.

Anyway, guess we know where the main money comes from. Dave's ESL in the making right here. Shame, because this is a fun site to lurk.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 07:06:41 am »
Wouldn't it be nice if somebody would post a link to this ad, or report it, or something? You know, so the issue can be addressed?

And insofar as I know, recruiters and schools haven't had to pay to post jobs here for a couple of years now.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 07:13:35 am by Kyndo »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 07:59:15 am »
Ok,  somebody posted a link to the job posting, noting that it violates e2 visa guidelines, which is cool. Thank you!
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=120739.msg840257#msg840257

.... but what visa guideline specifically is it violating? It's part-time, online tutoring for English conversation, right? At a glance it seems relatively legit?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 08:32:44 am »
Ok,  somebody posted a link to the job posting, noting that it violates e2 visa guidelines, which is cool. Thank you!
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=120739.msg840257#msg840257

.... but what visa guideline specifically is it violating? It's part-time, online tutoring for English conversation, right? At a glance it seems relatively legit?

Well, the starting date is ASAP, so if a candidate

"Candidate requirements
•   Must already be in Korea on an E-2 visa"

then that means you will be working this job as supplementary income, which is illegal on an E-2, or they want you to quit your current job today and break contract? If the job said that it started March 1st, it wouldn't be an issue. That's when most jobs start, with the new semester.

Saying you must already have an E-2 and that it starts NOW is very bizarre.  The whole point of the E-2 is that you're bound to AND sponsored by your workplace.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:34:24 am by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 08:39:31 am »
Well, the starting date is ASAP, so if a candidate

"Candidate requirements
•   Must already be in Korea on an E-2 visa"

then that means you will be working this job as supplementary income, which is illegal on an E-2, or they want you to quit your current job today and break contract? If the job said that it started March 1st it wouldn't be an issue, that's when most jobs start, with the new semester.

Saying you must already have an E-2 and that it starts NOW is very bizarre.

Oh, I missed that. You're right, of course.
I deleted the topic and sent the OP a message about posting illegal positions.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:44:34 am by Kyndo »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 09:05:05 am »
Hmm.
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=104337.0
Apparently it *isn't* illegal to work 2 jobs on an E-2 visa -- so long as you have a letter of permission from the sponsor of your E2 visa. Which, if you work for EPIK, you will not get.

Darn it. Now I wish I hadn't worded my message so strongly.
Anybody know if it's possible to delete PMs?  :-[ :blank: :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:41:39 am by Kyndo »

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 09:23:16 am »
Hmm.
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=104337.0
Apparently it *isn't* illegal to work 2 jobs on an E-2 visa. Darn it. Now I wish I hadn't worded my message so strongly.
Anybody know if it's possible to delete PMs?  :-[ :blank: :laugh:

Sorry Kyndo, I was teaching on Zoom and couldn't reply to this message. It isn't illegal to have a second position an e-2 visa. It is my understanding that a person must get permission from their full-time job (ie: whomever is sponsoring their visa) to work at another location, then they must go and register to work at the other location under their current visa. There are limits to how many hours the person can work at the other location.

This article explains it. The article is three years old, but I think the information is still correct today.

https://koreatesol.org/content/e-2-visas-eligibility-enforcement

As far as deleting sent messages, I think Arsalan would have to delete that. I would just send the person a message and explain the mistake. It is probably easier to do it that way.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2020, 09:26:57 am »
Yeah. I asked them to omit the  part about hiring already employed E-2s. I'll just send a second clarifying that they should note that E2 applicants need to provide a letter of permission from their employer.

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2020, 09:32:30 am »
Yeah. I asked them to omit the  part about hiring already employed E-2s. I'll just send a second clarifying that they should note that E2 applicants need to provide a letter of permission from their employer.

I guess I misunderstood the term moderator. Sorry!

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2020, 09:33:56 am »
Yeah, I think it might have just been lost in translation English on their part too. But it is good to be clear.

I think in some ways we are in wild west territory with teaching online and the legalities of it in Korea on our visas. I know some teachers who do VIP Kid that are on e-2 visas, but since they are paid outside of Korea they don't report it to immigration. That is a grey area.

I forgot to say in my first post, it is illegal for e-2s on EPIK or who work for a public school to have another position, as is the case for Koreans who work for the government as well. Government employees can't moonlight.