Read 3135 times

• APH
  • Veteran

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
I worked in Korea from 2018 to April 2020 when my contract expired which coincided with the covid pandemic. Iíd always planned to go home once my contract was up just because I didnít see a long term career for myself in teaching and Iíd bought in to that anxiety about ďyou need to be making progress in starting a careerĒ (I just turned 25 in April.)

So Iíve been back in the U.K. since April and as you all probably know itís been a bit of a shit show here, lots of people losing their jobs, lots of uncertainty, closures/re-openings, lockdowns and all that stuff. I took some time off during the lockdown to chill at home and catch up with my family and then started job hunting properly in June. Iíve applied and spoken to a few potential jobs which looked promising but had nothing concrete yet. Obviously itís not a great time to be a job seeker.

Couple this with the fact I actually do miss Korea and feel like I was kind of rushed out the back door to beat the quarantines/flight cancellations and spent my last month or two sat at home while the school was closed, as opposed to having time to really enjoy my last few months there.

So Iím getting more and more interested in potentially coming back to Korea for another teaching contract. I feel like I wouldnít have as much trouble finding a job there, especially with the experience I have. So Iím trying to get an idea of what I can expect if I do return and if it would be worth it:

Are there still plenty of jobs available?

What kind of salary can I expect? I have almost 2 years of experience teaching in Korea, was made headteacher of the native English staff at my last school and have a good reference from my last boss. Has the pandemic affected salaries for new teachers?

Also any input on what you would do in my situation would be greatly appreciated haha

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Wages can't go down any lower than they are as it's pushing minimum wage.

However, with the popularity of Korean culture more people want to escape to South Korea.

Expect higher competition for less jobs as Korean kids are becoming more home based.

Look into another country. You finished still loving Korea. Best to move on before coming back and loathing Korea. Many people try to relive memories but fail.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
Many people try to relive memories but fail.
Agree.

Kierkegaard also believed in the futility of trying to recreate formerly positive experiences abroad. Here's a commentary on one of his books:

For Kierkegaard, recollection is a kind of repetition in the form of repeating
the ideal in actuality, and according to him, the Young Man has failed to repeat
the ideal (his love) in the form of the actual (relationship). Upon the Young
Manís failure at recollection, the narrator, Constantin Constantius, decides to
go to Berlin and try to repeat his previous visit which had given him immense
pleasure. Although Constantin repeats everything he had done in his previous
visit, his repetition fails to duplicate the original. Each of his various repetitions produces ďan entirely new significance to the eventĒ (3). Now Constantin
has in his hands a series of unwanted repetitions, tending toward, but not ever
reaching, a series of meanings. The search for the repetition of an original
experience and meaning has unwittingly led Constantin, not to that meaning,
not to a plethora of other meanings, but to a disturbing pattern of blockage, or
disruption, of such polysemy. Thus, ďThe trip to Berlin ends in a moment of
dissemination rather than self-gatheringĒ (Kangas 111).

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."

From Alice in Wonderland (1865), by Lewis Carroll

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
I believe in yesterday

Kim du Han has said something reasonable for the first time that I can remember. There are better countries, with better food and much friendlier and welcoming people who would love to have you and your abilities teaching their young'uns.

• Toomsaa01
  • Newgookin

• November 01, 2017, 06:56:19 pm
    • 마산
"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."

From Alice in Wonderland (1865), by Lewis Carroll

I have this quote tattooed on my arm and here I am moving back to Korea in a few weeks after teaching there from 2017-2018...

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Public schools aren't hiring again until after Covid at the earliest.
So, if you come back here, I hope you would be okay with a hagwon.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Public schools aren't hiring again until after Covid at the earliest.
oh really? i didn't hear that

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
oh really? i didn't hear that

A friend of mine tried applying to Epik from within Korea, as she wanted to change location (she's already public school, and got told this)
And our education office has also told us this through our coordinator - that rehires will continue to happen, but anyone who leaves won't be replaced until after covid at the earliest.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
A friend of mine tried applying to Epik from within Korea, as she wanted to change location (she's already public school, and got told this)
And our education office has also told us this through our coordinator - that rehires will continue to happen, but anyone who leaves won't be replaced until after covid at the earliest.
damn. well, weren't they looking to wind-down having native teachers in schools completely? wonder if this will be the catalyst

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
damn. well, weren't they looking to wind-down having native teachers in schools completely? wonder if this will be the catalyst

As far as I can tell, they've been looking to wind-down native teachers since they started to wind-them-up.  I've been hearing about it since maybe two years after I came here in 2008.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Since 2010, public school NET numbers have been going down every year.

Then: 11k.
Now: 5k? Anyone know the exact number? (Maybe 4k?)

High school positions are almost completely gone.

Middle school positions are mostly gone, especially in Seoul.

Even many elementary school positions are gone now.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ

No sure on the exact numbers, but there is around 700 - 800 in Jeollanamdo, I think. (maybe less now, as they aren't rehiring to replace those who leave during the 'Rona)

Hi can I ask, was this for fall intake or the upcoming spring intake? I was looking to change cities for 2021, but am on the fence because I know a lot of BOEs didn't bring anyone over for the fall intake period. (around 100 at most)

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
Hi can I ask, was this for fall intake or the upcoming spring intake? I was looking to change cities for 2021, but am on the fence because I know a lot of BOEs didn't bring anyone over for the fall intake period. (around 100 at most)

She applied to change this past August (aug 2020) - she was told they are not hiring until after the corona virus has gone away, including within the country, to help stop the spread - in case someone is trying to go to/from an area where it's bad. Likely, the next hiring point will be August 2021, but maybe not even until Feb 2022 - but nothing is confirmed yet.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Wages can't go down any lower than they are as it's pushing minimum wage.

However, with the popularity of Korean culture more people want to escape to South Korea.

Expect higher competition for less jobs as Korean kids are becoming more home based.

Look into another country. You finished still loving Korea. Best to move on before coming back and loathing Korea. Many people try to relive memories but fail.

More people want to escape to South Korea?  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.  That's damn funny.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan

The older xenophobes were trying to get rid of us as soon as we started being hired or the hiring expanded.  There was a big cut down in Seoul and Gyeong gi in 2011 and 2012 mostly with a goal to be all gone by 2014 or 2015.  But after a big cut down, positions have largely stabilized.  Seoul and Gyeong gi are mostly elementary schools.  Rest of the country is middle and elementary and some English Villages.  Seoul and Gyeong gi English Village private companies?    Parents still want us here to teach the kids.  The Great Recession did flood the market with too many teachers for a good 5 years at least before those numbers fell off.  It is true a small number of folks since then came because they like Super Junior, BTS, K dramas and the like.  But that is just a tiny cult following. 

Some areas cut the numbers a bit and then later they go back up.  Seoul and Gyeong gi had their own hiring program different from EPIK in the past and many of their schools even had two native speakers.  It was overkill.  Half the country's population or more live in these two zones.  Now have sort of joined EPIK.  Not sure what the Gyeong gi EPIK system is now, but SMOE has kept their pay low and takes years to get to 2.5ish?  SMOE should give a million won rent subsidy instead of 500k given the prices up there.  (I did hear Gangnam use to have their own school hiring program and gave 900K for rent.)  Rest of country is 400K.  Can find decent elsewhere for that.  Though going up to 500K and prob 700 or 800K for Gyeong gi wouldn't hurt. 

Plenty of schools around.  Though I have heard EPIK's hiring can be erratic depending on who they use to interview and recruit.  During the recession market over flooded years, I did hear a lot of experienced candidates had a hard time getting hired for some stupid reason.  I had met new teachers recently.  Many are younger, but a few older ones have been hired too (I have seen).  Getting older myself nowadays.  Ha ha. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
How many public school NETs in Korea?

Seems like it should be possible to find out that information.

But Iím not seeing the number.

Anyone know what it is or how to get it?

I worked in Korea from 2018 to April 2020 when my contract expired which coincided with the covid pandemic. Iíd always planned to go home once my contract was up just because I didnít see a long term career for myself in teaching and Iíd bought in to that anxiety about ďyou need to be making progress in starting a careerĒ (I just turned 25 in April.)

So Iíve been back in the U.K. since April and as you all probably know itís been a bit of a shit show here, lots of people losing their jobs, lots of uncertainty, closures/re-openings, lockdowns and all that stuff. I took some time off during the lockdown to chill at home and catch up with my family and then started job hunting properly in June. Iíve applied and spoken to a few potential jobs which looked promising but had nothing concrete yet. Obviously itís not a great time to be a job seeker.

Couple this with the fact I actually do miss Korea and feel like I was kind of rushed out the back door to beat the quarantines/flight cancellations and spent my last month or two sat at home while the school was closed, as opposed to having time to really enjoy my last few months there.

So Iím getting more and more interested in potentially coming back to Korea for another teaching contract. I feel like I wouldnít have as much trouble finding a job there, especially with the experience I have. So Iím trying to get an idea of what I can expect if I do return and if it would be worth it:

Are there still plenty of jobs available?

What kind of salary can I expect? I have almost 2 years of experience teaching in Korea, was made headteacher of the native English staff at my last school and have a good reference from my last boss. Has the pandemic affected salaries for new teachers?

Also any input on what you would do in my situation would be greatly appreciated haha

My two pence is a little more generic but based on nearly 10 years teaching ESL in Asia (and 1 year in Spain) :

Your 2 years of experience will help you get a job.
Being promoted to headteacher will help you get a job.
A good reference will help you get a job.
Will any of that help you get more money? I'm not so sure.

If the advert states 2m - 2.2m you could probably get 2.1m.
If more money is a factor only apply for those with a higher salary band.
If you're only looking to come back for one more year before returning to the UK again, I would look for the easiest job possible in an area you want to be.

Hope that helps a little.