Read 4166 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Worst thing I've seen on Seoul Craigslist so far
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2020, 01:36:33 pm »

I knew people in Korea who boiled in the sweltering heat and humidity all summer and froze their butts off all winter because they wouldn't spend a penny on electricity for air-con or oil for their furnace.

I'm usually ondol-less in the winter in my underwear. My apartment sucks up my neighbours heat and I get away with no bill. hehe

In the summer, though, I keep the house at 18 degrees. That shit's expensive. hahaha
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2020, 01:50:07 pm »
MICHAEL.

:laugh:
Nice touch

Also,
“That Pig Couch on Craigslist? Not for Sale. (Also, Not a Couch.)”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/style/pig-couch-craigslist-fake.html

Sometimes Craigslist ads are performance art.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:15:56 pm by Don Hobak »

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 03:53:06 pm »
I had a friend who would make our entire group of friends literally walk 15-20 minutes out of our way so that she could use the one ATM in the area that wouldn't charge her a fee for withdrawing cash. Didn't matter how many of us were in the group, didn't matter how short on time we might have been, she would abso-******-lutely never have her cash ready beforehand, and she'd drag us around with her just so that she could save 1k won.

It's one thing when you want to waste your own time. It's another thing when you want to waste everyone else's time. Either have your shit together before you meet up with anyone, or pay the ****** fee.

She did so many things like this and was also a terrible mooch. It didn't take me long to stop joining any outings that included her, lol.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 03:57:16 pm »
I had a friend who would make our entire group of friends literally walk 15-20 minutes out of our way so that she could use the one ATM in the area that wouldn't charge her a fee for withdrawing cash.

Tell her to take a hike. Literally.

Tell her to hike to the bank. Alone.

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2020, 04:06:47 pm »
Tell her to take a hike. Literally.

Tell her to hike to the bank. Alone.

I did, multiple times, lol. But she'd badger the group, and people would go along with her. That's why I just had to stop hanging out with the group.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2020, 08:11:42 am »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2020, 08:50:07 am »
https://seoul.craigslist.org/hsh/d/maple-syrup-and-olive-oil/7233465203.html

Okay, the bar is still being lowered here.

Ordered a pizza. Got full after eating half. Selling half a pepperoni pizza. (7000W) Will microwave it for you upon arrival if you want. Includes tap water for free (please bring a bottle to go)

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2020, 09:40:11 am »
Ordered a pizza. Got full after eating half. Selling half a pepperoni pizza. (7000W) Will microwave it for you upon arrival if you want. Includes tap water for free (please bring a bottle to go)

Only if it has sweet potato and whipping cream toppings.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2020, 01:35:11 pm »
There are a lot of skinflints teaching over here.  I think it has something to do with younger people coming over who perhaps have not lived on their own outside of university.  They come from their parents' home and then get put up in school housing.  It perpetuates the mindset.  Some of the cheapest moves and habits I've encountered in my post university life have come from Western ESL teachers in Korea. And in university, people were usually cheap because of necessity.  And now that they have a job and some income they want to keep every last penny.  Things or habits that have irked me over the years have been people that resent having to commute to work or purchase new clothes to maintain a dress code as if it's some unfair condition imposed upon them.  People that when it comes to them buying a round decide that they've had enough and call it a night.  And the perpetually annoying "it's only a dollar" defense for not contributing to something like a taxi ride and trying to make you look greedy for wanting them to chip in.  If "it's just a dollar" you'd have no problem coughing it up. 

And to risk being offensive, but I have found this to be the case here, outside of the younger crowd the tightwads among the older set tend to be predominantly Brits and maritime Canadians.  For the Brits, I have one friend who was the exception that proved the rule.  Mates!  The austerity measures after the war are over.  Live a little. When I made a comment on a thread once about how people should just give stuff away if they're going to move, it was the Brits jumping in to defend the practice.  And to the Maritimers, you are now employed and earning an income.  Shell out sometimes. 

The Maritimes are one economically messed up place..... 

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2020, 02:40:06 pm »
Haha, so I sent the oil and syrup person an email and asked
them if they also had any used toilet paper for sale.

I guess I got a critical hit because they sent me three replies:

6:54pm %#@* yer mother!
7:00pm Just for emphasis:  %#@* you, you absolute piece of %#@* garbage %#@*.
7:11pm I'm praying that your entire family shits blood until they die.

I love it when a plan comes together.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2020, 02:45:53 pm »
Haha, so I sent the oil and syrup person an email and asked
them if they also had any used toilet paper for sale.

I guess I got a critical hit because they sent me three replies:

6:54pm %#@* yer mother!
7:00pm Just for emphasis:  %#@* you, you absolute piece of %#@* garbage %#@*.
7:11pm I'm praying that your entire family shits blood until they die.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Haha, awesome!

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2020, 02:55:33 pm »
Why would anyone have multiple bottles of maple syrup? FFS, how many effing pancakes and waffles are you eating? Do you have a family?

Also, why not just give this stuff away to your friends? Oh that's right, you probably don't have friends because you're the kind of guy who sells opened bottles of olive oil online.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2020, 03:09:58 pm »
Why would anyone have multiple bottles of maple syrup? FFS, how many effing pancakes and waffles are you eating? Do you have a family?

Also, why not just give this stuff away to your friends? Oh that's right, you probably don't have friends because you're the kind of guy who sells opened bottles of olive oil online.

I have 2 bottles of maple syrup. The stuff lasts a while, I rarely have pancakes too. maybe once or twice every 1 - 3 months.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2020, 03:16:48 pm »
Canadian here. Anything more than two is nutty.

You have one, it lasts a while. Great, Someone gets you another one, you have it. Maybe it's a lighter grade of syrup, tastes a bit different. Fine.

But, yeah, that shit lasts a while, there's no need to have bottles in your cupboard for when you run out.

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2020, 04:08:43 pm »
Why would anyone have multiple bottles of maple syrup?

1+1 at Ministop?

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2020, 02:41:55 am »
To be honest the cheapskates I have met have come from Canada...all of them from Canada...The fact that they are selling their "prized" maple syrup before they head off makes me laugh...and makes me embarrassed.   Just give it to a friend or coworker. 

All of the cheapies that complain about a taxi ride fare...from Canada....All of the people nitpicking about a chon won about dinner..From Canada....it's not as if I only hang out with Canadians AT ALL...its Irish, South Af. and Americans...

Stop being cheap, Canadian peeps!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:48:18 am by dippedinblush »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2020, 07:31:21 am »
The worst are people who wanna take the bus places. Now, there ARE reasons to take a bus, but not when there are 3 or 4 of you and you're going from Itaewon to Hongdae. It's the SAME price.

Some people just see the bus price and say "that's the lowest price. That one." They don't even think about a taxi ride split 4 ways being the SAME PRICE, maybe 300 or 400w each more.

I ain't taking no bus from Itaewon to Hongdae at 10pm. Hop in, you cheap f**k.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2020, 07:52:07 am »
Some people just see the bus price and say "that's the lowest price. That one." They don't even think about a taxi ride split 4 ways being the SAME PRICE, maybe 300 or 400w each more.

There was a guy I used to work with who used to do just that and would only get a taxi if there were three other people going too. If there were only two, he'd take the bus and save 1,000 won or whatever it was.  I also worked with 'that guy' who asks if you're getting a cab somewhere and then if he can ride along in the back (for free)  This guy also used to make sandwiches for the whole weekend when he went on a trip somewhere to avoid shelling out for restaurants. He said they used to get a bit stale by Sunday lunch time.  There was another guy who used to buy a bunch of bananas every day and eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Claiming they gave him all the vitamins he needed. Very few people ever saw inside his flat but it was rumoured after years of living in Korea, he had exactly one of every piece of cutlery and crockery, never bought a bed and still slept in a sleeping bag on the floor.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2020, 08:06:21 am »
This guy also used to make sandwiches for the whole weekend when he went on a trip somewhere to avoid shelling out for restaurants.

"We're going to Busan, fresh seafood!"

"We're going to Chuncheon! Fresh dakgalbi!"

"We're going to Gwangju. amazing ddeokgalbi!"

Nah, I got sandwiches.

Like, MAYBE if he was sending back every dollar to pay for his dad's chemo or something, then I could understand. But it's more likely he's cheap as f**k, statically  speaking.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2020, 08:20:33 am »
To be honest the cheapskates I have met have come from Canada...all of them from Canada...The fact that they are selling their "prized" maple syrup before they head off makes me laugh...and makes me embarrassed.   Just give it to a friend or coworker. 

All of the cheapies that complain about a taxi ride fare...from Canada....All of the people nitpicking about a chon won about dinner..From Canada....it's not as if I only hang out with Canadians AT ALL...its Irish, South Af. and Americans...

Stop being cheap, Canadian peeps!

As a proud Canadian, I avoid hanging out with too many Canadians.  Korea doesn't attract the most cosmopolitan Canucks for the most part (the ever present drunk Canuck claiming The Hip are the best band ever!) but there is no way a Canadian from a city where they take cabs is going to complain about the cost or cleanliness of a Korean taxi.  But, yes, there are plenty of cheap Canadians here. The kind that if you went to a mutual Korean acquaintance's wedding they would be the one asking how much people gave before working their way over to the envelope table.  And more likely than not dressing up meant a sweater, khakis and a pair of their darkest running shoes. 

But, for me, I have also met enough free spending Canadians in my time here, so my vote for cheapest as a group still goes to the Brits.  You don't always need to ask the price before you order a drink.  You're in a Korean hof, not Louis Vuitton.