Read 2201 times

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Re: Worst thing I've seen on Seoul Craigslist so far
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 01:33:59 pm »
My friend furnished her entire apartment from stuff that was put out on the sidewalk, including a pretty decent computer, fridge, TV, microwave, bed, cupboards and sundry other items.

When I first got here in '96 we all did this.  We were the bottom feeders.
Things I should have bought new were a decent sized fridge and an
air conditioner.

Koreans throw a lot of stuff out because of the complete lack of storage
space.  Also this culture hasn't embraced the "used' or "antique" culture.
Prior to about 1960 there was no real furniture in Korea aside from
museum pieces. So everything is new and of dubious quality.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 04:56:42 pm »
It isn't craigslist but there is an app called carrot (당근) that is similar and I have seen a ton of shoes, bottles of lotions, baby formulas, hangers, and some other weird things on there
yeah i've heard good things about this. koreans generally don't like secondhand things, so i reckon you could get some good stuff from there. i'll have to sign up myself

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 06:43:20 pm »
Koreans throw a lot of stuff out because of the complete lack of storage
space.  Also this culture hasn't embraced the "used' or "antique" culture.
Prior to about 1960 there was no real furniture in Korea aside from
museum pieces. So everything is new and of dubious quality.

Korean furniture always cracked me up. Usually really ugly and dated looking. Like you'd go into a principal's office or walk by a small grocery store's break room and they always have these giant ugly chairs lined up to make the room look like a 1930s mafia headquarters. You guys know what I mean. Or the beds that are like a slab of marble with a mattress on top.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 06:51:13 pm »
Korean furniture always cracked me up. Usually really ugly and dated looking. Like you'd go into a principal's office or walk by a small grocery store's break room and they always have these giant ugly chairs lined up to make the room look like a 1930s mafia headquarters. You guys know what I mean. Or the beds that are like a slab of marble with a mattress on top.
glad i'm not the only one that thinks this. it looks so garish and tacky. the furniture stores are ridiculously overpriced too. like, INSANE prices. i'm seeing a few modern-type furniture shops pop up in the last few years, and at decent prices too. hopefully koreans are are finally cottoning on that an ugly bed frame shouldn't need to cost 2m won

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 07:29:23 pm »
A lot of Korean furniture manufacturers disappeared after Ikea arrived on the scene.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 07:44:49 pm »
A lot of Korean furniture manufacturers disappeared after Ikea arrived on the scene.

Can you imagine charging 80만 for a bookshelf?

Granted it's built better. But is it built better than a 14만 bookshelf from IKEA? Not a chance. Not for value.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:44 am »
yeah i've heard good things about this. koreans generally don't like secondhand things, so i reckon you could get some good stuff from there. i'll have to sign up myself

I feel they're starting to like it more.  When I moved flat I used that app quite a lot, but it was madness how quickly things had been reserved / taken after being listed. Like within a minute sometimes it would be gone.

You can however set up keyword alerts for things you're interested in

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 08:08:36 am »

In aesthetics, particularly in fashion, there's the trend of wearing something so outdated and garish that it becomes ironic and, in. a way, cool. Think of the way the 80s sweater is making a comeback, at least in the edgy Gen Z group.

With Korean furniture, it was impossible to wrap my head around how ridiculously kitch and gaudy everything was, I thought they were doing it ironically. The immaculately polished marble bed, with hideous gemstones inlayed into the sides, proudly on display in the obnoxiously over-lit department store simply looks like a well-polished turd.

I've come to realize that it's just a generational thing. In the West, you've got your old people who insist on covering every square centimetre of surface area with a doily, here, old people like gaudy, sparkly things. Kind of realized this when I went on a workshop and at the end of the grueling experience, all the teachers, Korean and ESL, were given these tacky keychains that only a 60yr old Korean man would think was cool. The Korean teachers (generally in theirs early 30s and 40s) made a show of marveling at how beautiful the keychains were. Next day, my CT joked with me that it was the ugliest thing she'd seen in her life and I'm pretty sure all the other Korean teachers thought so too.

The difference being that Korea is an aged society and old people are, for the most part, the sole decision makers. So that vulgar nouvea riche aesthetic will be around as long as they are.

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 08:21:38 am »
Like you'd go into a principal's office or walk by a small grocery store's break room and they always have these giant ugly chairs lined up to make the room look like a 1930s mafia headquarters.

Haha, I've sunk down in those chairs many times and listened to the same old speech, "Don't
take marijuana and don't touch the children."

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2020, 09:41:57 am »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2020, 10:15:35 am »
That has to be satire. Right?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 12:28:36 pm »
https://seoul.craigslist.org/fuo/d/set-of-15-clothing-hangers/7197114745.html

WTF

Well, at least it isn't an offer of tr ans love behind the bowling alley for a bacchus and 5,000 won.  Craigslist use to be so kinky and weird all.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2020, 08:15:38 am »
That has to be satire. Right?

They are really nice hangers, though.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2020, 09:54:38 am »
Not that one, the keyboard, coffee make, futon disaster.

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2020, 11:13:06 am »
How does one justify the hassle of taping up a bunch of hangers, taking pics, uploading them to craigslist and meeting or arranging postage to a prospective buyer? All that PT for 5 bucks.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2020, 11:17:02 am »
Donít Google that phrase from work!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2020, 11:41:44 am »
How does one justify the hassle of taping up a bunch of hangers, taking pics, uploading them to craigslist and meeting or arranging postage to a prospective buyer? All that PT for 5 bucks.

The same people who will scour 17 different flyers over 4 hours to save 3$ with coupons.

And drive 40 mins out of the way to save 2c a litre on gasoline.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2020, 01:27:13 pm »
The people I've met in this country (foreigners) who are penny wise, dollar foolish are some of the biggest crackpots I have ever met in my life. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ